SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Repainting questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-02, 09:59 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting questions

Given the slowly deteriorating condition of my car's paint due to weather and careless service centers the thought of getting my car repainted has crossed my mind a couple of times.
What does it cost to repaint a car with a quality paint job?
Will the paint be as durable as the factory paint and still be affordable?
If any of you live in the SF Bay Area, do you know of any good shops for such a job?
Old 01-12-02, 10:18 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it kinda depends on what paint you want used... Chemelion? $750 per pint, and it takes about 4 pints to do a car... so just paint alone sets you back $3,000. Granted Chemelion paint is not a typical paint, but still you get my point. If you oversee the process (make sure they prime the entire car -- they didn't prime my front bumper, not that that makes any differance now, i just got hit, proably need a whole new PJ)

But anyhow. Expect to pay between 3-4 K for a nice job. Well, that the price range on the east coast, good luck. Post some pics along the way.... (That's also another way to make your autobody shop know you're plugged into the process.)

Also about paint durability, you should have a durable paint job, if they sand it all the way down, prime it right, and paint it right (dustless updraft paint booth, high quality spray guns, and high quality paint.) look for a clean operation... Maybe even get the whole car airbrushed...
One note on expensive/exotic paint jobs, they attract cop's attention, and make you easy to single out. AND they are very expensive to touch up!

Once again, good luck madmax.

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 01-12-02 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-12-02, 10:38 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

this is my friend's mustang, it's completely airbrushed, no decals. the paint job cost $8K, but he paid $6k for the entire car with the paint job included (don't ask me how!)

He got lightly rear ended, and due to the 15 coats of paint and clear coat, it was $2,000 for a touch up on the rear end.

NOTE: I am not suggesting something this intense. This is a mustang owned by a 18 year old.
Attached Thumbnails Repainting questions-listing1648-slot2.jpg  
Old 01-12-02, 10:58 PM
kschiu
Driver

MadMax,

Unless the paint on your car is really toasted. Seriously faded, scratched and or chipped. Think carefully before repainting your car. Repainting never come close to original factory paint.

If you car's paint is in decent condition you can "refresh" the look by a serious buffing and detailing. You would be surprised how much that can do to a car.

Anyway, in Bay Area, you can try Sunnyvale Body in Sunnyvale or B-Line in San Jose. They are the best bodyshops. A good paint job that an SC deserves is at least $4-5k.

James
Old 01-13-02, 06:15 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Hi Madmax:
I have only had one of my many cars totally repainted. That was my BMW 2002 tii. I had one of the best body and paint shops in the area do it. They took the car all the way down to bare metal. All the trim off and windows out, bumpers off insginas, everything.
All new gasketing was installed along the windows and doors and moonroof. The car was primed and wet sanded and primed again and wet sanded. The prime was tinted burgundy what was the color of the car (actually calle Malaga Red). Three coats of paint were applied, each wet sanded then the car was clear coated. It looked very well and was very durable until the day I sold it some 5 years later. There was 280K New England miles and 13 years on the original paint. The car was layed up for 12 working days for this job.

I feel that if every you were going to do body modifications done to your SC, that this would be the time to do it. Also a great time for a new windshied and new rubber gasketing.

Oh Ya the price was 3000 in labor and 1200 in parts (windshield, gasketing, new insignias, trim and odds and ends) and that was back in 1986.
Old 01-13-02, 12:49 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Wow,

I have been kind of toying with the fact of repainting, but my paint some normail superficial scratches and couple of rock chips on the front hood, but it still shines and looks good.
Old 01-13-02, 06:54 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was thinking about repainting my car when i got my body kit on. my guy told me 1500 to paint the whole car, including the body kit. kind of a hook up. the only thing was, he didn't opt to remove windows and the seals, etc. etc. so i just decided to paint my body kit instead. there's a really really good place called santini's in westminster, CA. they do the hot rods and such in all the magazines. they do excellent work. should be around 3-4 w/ pearls in your paint.
Old 01-13-02, 07:41 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Anyone know of a good paint shop in Massachusetts? I'm gonna need a new one in the next few months.