SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wheel BLOW OUT..NOT TIRE but Wheel... What can i do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 11:59 PM
Baker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean "someone could have gotten killed". Yes, call them and demand your money back.

I've sold wheels for years. This is what happens unfortunately with a poor quality import. (seen it many times) might be ok on a it-bitty civic but not on our flagship tankers. We wont list any names but most of these wheels are from China. Hopefully, its a lesson learned by all. I sold a set of Volk SF Challenge that were on a G35 coupe that hit a wooden 2 x 4 in the highway at 80+ mph. The tire was destroyed and the barrel of the rim was bent in about 2" but it never cracked the barrel or damaged the integrity of the face. I wish I had the pics. Eddie at Mackin has the pics still I'm sure. Remember this thread next time you complain about the price of some of the "high end" manufactures being too expensive.

P.S. Stay away from anything that says "Japanese wheel design" it does not mean it was manufactured in Japan. It means they went to SEMA or IAS in Japan and took pictures of the wheels that were hot and then went back to China and reproduced them in a crappy sand mold casting.

Last edited by Baker; 10-16-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-16-07, 12:03 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to see this ...I was just warned about this.
Old 10-16-07, 12:18 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that is pretty crazy. I almost bought some Stern wheels since they are pretty cheap nowadays, but now I know why. Before Stern was bought out, it used to be a good quality brand in Japan. Good to hear everyone is ok though.
Old 10-16-07, 12:43 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

and people get pissed because I say don't buy knockoffs...

To be honest though, I don't wish this on anyone. That is pretty dangerous man. Good thing they're safe and that's the most important part. Don't take that chance again.

P.S. there have also been incidents with SEVAS rims cracking/tearing/ripping/seperating all along the barrel. Buyers Beware!
Old 10-16-07, 12:51 AM
roddy300
Driver School Candidate

holy hell that's insane. good thing no one was hurt and hopefully sterns takes care of you
Old 10-16-07, 01:35 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

That's pretty scary to happen. I was thinking of buying some cheaper ADR rims, but changed my mind and stuck to the stock TT's. Keep us updated on what happens with Sterns.
Old 10-16-07, 02:26 AM
240sxer
Pole Position

wow, all i gotta say is, im glad i didnt buy them off of you and glad noone was hurt
Old 10-16-07, 04:58 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Baker
You mean "someone could have gotten killed". Yes, call them and demand your money back.

I've sold wheels for years. This is what happens unfortunately with a poor quality import. (seen it many times) might be ok on a it-bitty civic but not on our flagship tankers. We wont list any names but most of these wheels are from China. Hopefully, its a lesson learned by all. I sold a set of Volk SF Challenge that were on a G35 coupe that hit a wooden 2 x 4 in the highway at 80+ mph. The tire was destroyed and the barrel of the rim was bent in about 2" but it never cracked the barrel or damaged the integrity of the face. I wish I had the pics. Eddie at Mackin has the pics still I'm sure. Remember this thread next time you complain about the price of some of the "high end" manufactures being too expensive.

P.S. Stay away from anything that says "Japanese wheel design" it does not mean it was manufactured in Japan. It means they went to SEMA or IAS in Japan and took pictures of the wheels that were hot and then went back to China and reproduced them in a crappy sand mold casting.
thanks for all your responses!

lesson learned, but something that shouldnt had happen in the first place. I'm fortunate i didnt pass these on to another member..i dont know how id react if i knew someone got injured from these defected wheels.

no reply to the email yet, but ill keep you all updated on their reply
Old 10-16-07, 05:16 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear nobody was hurt, that is pretty crazy how the spokes completely broke...I've only seen that happen to rotas.

May this be a lesson to all of us...you really do get what you paid for.
Old 10-16-07, 05:29 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMFG! I'm glad everyone is ok, but I don't see how that is possible. I would definitely want to see if they can give you some compensation because that is beyond extreme danger! Were they drifting it? lol
Old 10-16-07, 05:35 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man they should def give you your money back and then some
Old 10-16-07, 07:07 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Why are you emailing them? Call their ***.
Old 10-16-07, 07:37 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude call a lawyer - They would have a freakin hayday with it.
~Joe
Old 10-16-07, 09:01 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to see this, that def a defect in the casting. Thats also some bull****, and crazy!
Old 10-16-07, 09:13 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

S U E. This is america, and this is what you do. When you win, buy some decent forged rims.

Quick Reply: Wheel BLOW OUT..NOT TIRE but Wheel... What can i do??