SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rough riding 93 SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 08:23 AM
DrivingMsBlondi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough riding 93 SC

Wife's SC 400 ride really sucks....... tooooooo stiff...... can any suggest a fix...... tried softer sidewall tires... and lowered the air pressure a pinch.... but still...... too stiff
Old 01-13-02, 08:35 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Is this a stock SC from the suspension and tire and wheel standpoint? If not, what are the mods you have incorporated?
Old 01-13-02, 08:42 AM
DrivingMsBlondi
Driver School Candidate

sorry...should have said...... all stock...no mods..bought the car at 30k miles from a neighbor...and have 90k now.... been a steel wheel wagon ride since day one.
Old 01-13-02, 09:57 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

The stock SC400 is not a powder puff ride. In other words it does not float like a Lincoln Continental, rather, it is firm but smooth, especially on the highway at speed. On the other hand, it is not a bone crusher, tooth filling remover ride either. Have you asked your local Lexus dealer to test ride your car with you to give you some comparitive feedback regarding the ride? You would think with that many miles on it the springs are nice and soft and the shocks are tired if original.

Are there noises or clunks or squeaks? Or is the ride just hard?

I wonder if your shocks are just totally fongooled and worn. Do you sense wheel bounce? Can someone follow you over a rough pavement section and watch to see if your tires are bouncing OFF of the pavement when going over rough areas? If they are bouncing, then you have to replace those shocks.
Old 01-13-02, 10:30 AM
DrivingMsBlondi
Driver School Candidate

Lexus (2 dealers in the area) looked at it several times especially when had a chance to drive a 97 sc.... and the ride on it was much better. Their comment was that the initial sc's were intended to give more road feel...... at this point the feel is so good we get gravel in our pockets.

Are there noises or clunks or squeaks? Or is the ride just hard?<<<ride is just hard..... no clunks etc..... like a continous ride over small speed bumps.....ride has been the same and not deteriorating.......probably wouldnt be a problem but the wife is getting older than dirt and starting to complain.

I wonder if your shocks are just totally fongooled and worn. Do you sense wheel bounce? ............nope...a small expansion joint or hump in road can feel like a down power pole..

Can someone follow you over a rough pavement section and watch to see if your tires are bouncing OFF of the pavement when going over rough areas? If they are bouncing, then you have to replace those shocks.<<<<<<<did this too..... and nothing...... just a stiff *** ride.......dont suggest younger wife.. did that too.

Old 01-13-02, 11:02 AM
Purplexed
Rookie

Default SC400 vs LS400. Wanna trade ?

No, I dont have an answer, only a comment.
I posted a questiion a few hours ago asking just basically asking a similar question.
I have a 93LS400, I think the ride is tooo soft, boaty and has NO road feel.
I want the characteristics closer to those of an SC (thats why I asked if anyone had driven a 95-96 LS400 which is lighter and has beefier sway bars.

Since your vehicle had a "rough" ride since day one, this probably IS normal for an SC. You did not state that you tested a similar year SC, (or even what year you had)
It is also just possible that your wife prefers cushy and just doesnt like a sportier ride. Wanna trade ???
Old 01-13-02, 12:36 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The SC series are a have a more sporty suspension compared to the LS series, They are for two diffrent audiences. The SC stands for Sports Coupe, that kind of tells you right there that it is going to have a more sportier suspension for more road feel and feedback. The LS is for Luxury Sedan and it is designed for more plush and cushy riding. Give her the LS and you take that bad boy SC and pound the pavement
Old 01-13-02, 07:12 PM
DrivingMsBlondi
Driver School Candidate

her sc is a 93 which is odd when you have the same and the ride is so different... boat ride is peerfect
....so regarding the offer to trade.... wife or car????.... oh hell, yes to either.
Old 01-13-02, 10:19 PM
Purplexed
Rookie

Default Henny Youngman

Reminds me of a Henny Youngman joke.

"Take my wife,.... Please !!!"