SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad Credit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 08:23 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Credit

Anyone here know where someone with bad credit can get a car loan? A buddy of mine is looking to get a car loan and his credit is F'ed up. Thought I would drop a line and see if anyone knew.
Old 01-14-02, 10:07 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a place in cali called "ugly duckling" (i know, weird name) and a nissan dealership, but the fine print shows you have to put 80% down. haha..... i don't think anyone knows about the fine print
Old 01-14-02, 10:08 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

haha, that is alot!
Old 01-14-02, 11:35 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by do-luck sc
the fine print shows you have to put 80% down
For most of these "Buy Here, Pay Here" car lots that 80% down would not only pay for the cost of the car but would be a susbtantial markup over what they paid for it.
Old 01-14-02, 11:54 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

How much does he wants to pay for a car? Does he have a steady job that pays well? Can he get a co-signer? Is he in MI? What type of car is he looking to get, he may have to settle for a cheaper car? How much can he put down?
Old 01-14-02, 11:55 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, he is in Michigan. I am not sure how much he can put down, but I know he has a good paying job. I think he is screwed
Old 01-14-02, 12:07 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Tell him to go to a GOOD new or used car dealer and find out where he stands... Then spend the next 6 - 12 months trying to get his credit straight... Most dealers have at least 10 lenders they can work with...

Johnny you have a PM..... Hit me back about the mats...
Old 01-14-02, 01:24 PM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Default fixing credit...

I would suggest your friend do two things. 1) request a credit report from all 3 major credit unions, if you need the number I will post that information (it's free because each person can get one a year, and you should actually do it to make sure people aren't screwing you on credit. 2) Examine it, and start making calls to the companies that you have credit with.

Credit CAN be fixed without hiring a lawyer, or hiring other people to do things. Basically, memorialize or write everything and keep a record of the companies you contact. Explain to them what happened and ask them to reverse what they have listed on your credit report as adverse. They ALL have the authority to do that, just be nice and request it.

Another easy way to fix credit it to take out a SMALL loan, and then pay it off completely. Basically, take a loan out for maybe 2-3 dollars for one year, pay it off in ONE year....this will substantially increase your credit rating...do this especially with your bank/credit union that you will borrow money from to establish a good repoire with them. Hope this helps....
Old 01-14-02, 01:50 PM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He may be able to get a loan through www.peoplefirst.com
Old 01-14-02, 06:30 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: fixing credit...

Originally posted by jderry
I would suggest your friend do two things. 1) request a credit report from all 3 major credit unions, if you need the number I will post that information (it's free because each person can get one a year, and you should actually do it to make sure people aren't screwing you on credit. 2) Examine it, and start making calls to the companies that you have credit with.

Credit CAN be fixed without hiring a lawyer, or hiring other people to do things. Basically, memorialize or write everything and keep a record of the companies you contact. Explain to them what happened and ask them to reverse what they have listed on your credit report as adverse. They ALL have the authority to do that, just be nice and request it.

Another easy way to fix credit it to take out a SMALL loan, and then pay it off completely. Basically, take a loan out for maybe 2-3 dollars for one year, pay it off in ONE year....this will substantially increase your credit rating...do this especially with your bank/credit union that you will borrow money from to establish a good repoire with them. Hope this helps....
post the phone numbers... I need to check mine for a future house purchase...
Old 01-16-02, 11:19 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

Default Re: fixing credit...

Originally posted by jderry

--excellent idea on number 1 everyone should do that now. Especially with all the horror stories about identy theft. That way you can hopefully catch something before its a nightmare

--If you have bad credit, going into debt even more is not the answer. The person has already demonstrated they were not responsible with debt already (hence the bad credit). Kinda like trying to put out a fire by pouring some gas on it. The best way to fix bad credit is do not go into debt and use credit. Show that you have learned from your mistakes by not taking on more debt. Pay cash for a cheap reliable car until he can save up enough money for something nicer (like a lexus). My wife drove a neon for 6 years, I drove a civic for 4 yrs. sold that, bought a cheap truck for cash, and we have no debt but our house. That enabled us to save up enough money to buy a nice quality used Lexus. You don't want to be working 40+hrs a week for your car. You want to work for your life...if that makes since.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sick of seeing friends ruining their lives by being in debt. If you can't pay cash for it you don't need it right now.