SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Owners/Tips/Misc

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02 | 12:44 PM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Cool SC400 Owners/Tips/Misc

Well, I finally found a great used SC400. I was looking for an later model, but I found one with 38,000 original miles on it and I bought it for a great price from...*gasp* a Lexus Dealership. I guess I got lucky because it was before the end of the year. I am assuming they wanted it off their books before the fiscal year closed for them.

Anyways, I am hoping this will be a forum for SC400 owners. No offense to the SC300 users, but there are many more modifications you can do versus what the SC400 users can do. Thus said, I am going to ask a couple of questions for people.

1) I have seen Borla, RMM, and I think (overboost.com) has an exhaust system for the SC400. I am not necessarily looking for dynoed gains...but I am looking for a deeper, meaner, throatier sound that a V8 engine should have. Screw the, quiet ride, I want my car to roar like a lion when I step on the accelerator. Any suggestions?

2) The intake I have seen some with the Weapon-R, Akimoto, RMM, etc. I would prefer a direct bolt-on but perhaps that is impossible. My experience with Akimoto is that it is not as reliable as others; however, someone correct me if I am wrong. Do you need to buy the MAF adaptor for ALL of the intakes? I know that the RMM directly bolts on without a problem...but I have no experience with the Weapon-R...any comments? What about the HKS one???

3) Is anyone located on the east coast? Perhaps we could get together and work on the SC400's together. I ACTUALLY have created clear lenses for my MKIII-T. Basically, it takes about 4 hours to do. I am assuming that the SC400 will be very similar...it should have a film that is superglued to the taillights, etc....and I think if you heat it up, it should peel easily away as the MKIII-T will do. However, has anyone tried this yet to verify it?

4) I am having this maddening problem with moisture in my right front headlight...I am assuming a silicon sealer will stop this problem??? Or do I need new seals all the way around it?

5) Has anyone had problems with the power steering pump?? If so, when can I expect this unit to go? I have heard sometimes that if this pump goes, it usually leaks on the alternator and you have about $1000 to fix this problem.

6) Is anyone using redline transmission fluid? How is that working out for you?

7) Has anyone dressed up their engine?? If so, what are you using and if you do not mind, what are the specs (lengths) that I need to cut...?

8) any other BPU would be greatly appreciated....

9) Has anyone done a swap for the 98 engine and up with 95's and lower? Is it a direct swap?? I saw that a junkyard near me has a 98 engine with about 13,000 original miles. I would really like the torque and HP increase....

10) Thanks and have a great day!
Old 01-14-02 | 01:55 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

hey;
Congrats on your new ride.

I am in southern new england.

I suggest you do alot of reading here as many of your questions are already answered.

For the air filter Look up the APEXi thread in the SC400 engines forum.

FOr the trannie fluid, change it every 15K miles with original lexus fluid.

for the condensation in the headlite, there are alot of threads on this. Take out the unit, use a hair dryer to dry it out and make sure the rubber vents are clear. use vaseline to dress the screw in bulbs.
Old 01-14-02 | 04:44 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

my congrats also. I'm located about 20 minutes outside boston in the 'burbs. If you like, drop me a line, we'll meet up. I'm planning on changing my exaust to an X Pipe and got some body work to do . Also looking into Apexi-SAFC. Drop me a line.

1993 Bergundy SC400
-Stock-
Old 01-14-02 | 05:04 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jderry, i'm East Coast also, PM me. Also, Steve at Red Line has told me that they do not make a suitable replacement for the Toyota Type T-IV trans fluid, since Toyota will not release the formulation. Check the SupraMKIV website for a permanent fix for that headlight. The pwr steering pump/alternator issue has bordered on a recall for awhile now, my local dealer admits it. Don't bother entertaining the idea of a VVT-i swap, you'll wish you had just sold yours for a '98-up and saved the headache. If you can get the whole car to swap from (an SC, not a GS, ECU is different, some of the harness is different, etc.) then you may want to do the job, if you have the time to spare, be prepared to lay the car up for awhile. Get yourself a sealed cold air intake, ECU, torque converter, 2.25-2.5" dual exhaust w/ crossover, delete forward resonators, straight-thru cans, high-flow catalyst, maybe a little juice, should keep you satisfied for awhile.
Old 06-06-06 | 09:36 AM
sunfisher
Driver School Candidate

Default help

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
Jderry, i'm East Coast also, PM me. Also, Steve at Red Line has told me that they do not make a suitable replacement for the Toyota Type T-IV trans fluid, since Toyota will not release the formulation. Check the SupraMKIV website for a permanent fix for that headlight. The pwr steering pump/alternator issue has bordered on a recall for awhile now, my local dealer admits it. Don't bother entertaining the idea of a VVT-i swap, you'll wish you had just sold yours for a '98-up and saved the headache. If you can get the whole car to swap from (an SC, not a GS, ECU is different, some of the harness is different, etc.) then you may want to do the job, if you have the time to spare, be prepared to lay the car up for awhile. Get yourself a sealed cold air intake, ECU, torque converter, 2.25-2.5" dual exhaust w/ crossover, delete forward resonators, straight-thru cans, high-flow catalyst, maybe a little juice, should keep you satisfied for awhile.
my headlights are all discolored and condensation what do I do to replace? Where to look'
92 sc400
Old 06-06-06 | 11:36 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

As far as exhausts go, I have the RMM on my SC400 and it sounds very throaty, deep, and clean! best sounding in my opinion by far! it is however pretty quiet which I think is good for the SC because it is still a luxury car. Borla, Magnaflow, etc. all are kinda cheap and "gurgle" if you must but don't have a nice and clean tone but, you are looking for a loud car so I would steer clear from RMM if that's the case.
Old 06-06-06 | 11:37 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sunfisher
my headlights are all discolored and condensation what do I do to replace? Where to look'
92 sc400
There's this wonderful thing called the "search" button there are about 5,000 topics on it.
Old 06-06-06 | 12:11 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

he must have searched this topic is old as *****.
Old 06-06-06 | 07:01 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drocay
he must have searched this topic is old as *****.
I never read those dates haha.
Old 06-06-06 | 07:07 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I never read those dates haha.
haha it should have been a clue that I was saying I had a Red 93 SC400... I had only been on the forum 3 months, I still hadn't figured out the entire "sig" business

I guess this thread is dual lesson: check out the SC OGs (LexLuthor, Red93sc400) and remember to read those date stamps

John