SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

newbie brake ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 10:47 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie brake ?s

Having my new rotors I got off ebay put on right now.. I wanted to replace the brake pads also, and they told me I needed shims or the brakes will "squeek like crazy". I am not very knowledgable about brakes, and was wondering if I am being ripped off. Also, he told me stock lexus brake pads were $60 for the fronts and $60 for the rears.. is this a good price?
Old 01-16-02, 11:08 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: newbie brake ?s

Originally posted by mjames08
Having my new rotors I got off ebay put on right now.. I wanted to replace the brake pads also, and they told me I needed shims or the brakes will "squeek like crazy". I am not very knowledgable about brakes, and was wondering if I am being ripped off. Also, he told me stock lexus brake pads were $60 for the fronts and $60 for the rears.. is this a good price?
Is it OEM pads? Have you check other auto parts stores yet?
Old 01-16-02, 11:31 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

-no not being ripped. Shims are just thin pieces of metal that go between the pad and caliber to control noices.

Don't know about the prices, have not got any for the car yet, but sounds high. Used to be a parts jockey never rember seeing pads for more then 35.
Old 01-16-02, 12:43 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: newbie brake ?s

Yes, it is high and I did notice that. Lexus charges you lots for the pads. We have the same breaks as the N/A Supra. For some strange reason the N/A Supra breaks are more expencive than Supra TT breaks which are much bigger. WTF?!

The shims come with breakpads I think. I am pretty sure of it.
Old 01-16-02, 03:51 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

With new rotors you should use new pads so that they mate or "bed" correctly. If you are going to put new pads on you may want to spring for the carbon kevlar pads which produce little to no dust. www.cyberauto.com can fit you out with carbon kevlar pads for both front and rear as well as stock pads if you prefer those. Ask them about the shims. They may not be needed with new pads. The carbon kevlars run about $90 or so for the front and perhaps a wee bit less for the rears. Ask them, they will let you know if you need shims with new rotors and pads. You may need the shims if you want to use the older pads to "build out" the old pads if they are worn down. I for one, would not use the old pads as they are bedded to the old rotor's profile.
Old 01-16-02, 03:54 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Just remembered, this is the time (when you are putting on new pads) to totally replace the old brake fluid with new. Get this from your Lexus dealer. Have the shop bleed out all of the old brake fluid and replace it with new Lexus fluid. Brake fluid attracts and retains moisture which is not good for your master cyliner and ABS system. This is the correct time to change it all out.
Old 01-16-02, 05:50 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

They were OEM lexus pads.. I feel I paid a little too much, but they even painted my calipers for me. These rotors make the car look so much better, compared to the old rusted crap that was on there before. Thanks for all your replies. Is there any way I can keep these rotors from rusting?
Old 01-16-02, 08:38 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Glad you like the looks of the new rotors. If I remember correctly you got them recently on ebay. Right? Are they now installed and how do they work? I have similar rotors but mine are nickle plated. They are not yet installed. The last pieces just came in today, which are the braided stainless brake lines.

So in the springtime, once all the salt and slush and snow are gone I will get them installed. As far as keeping your new ones from rusting I have not a clue.
Old 01-17-02, 07:48 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Red93,

What's marking on the brake pads box (Kevlar?). How much did you pay? I think mine were about $65 front and ~$65 rear.

Originally posted by Red93sc400
If you are going to put new pads on you may want to spring for the carbon kevlar pads which produce little to no dust. www.cyberauto.com can fit you out with carbon kevlar pads for both front and rear as well as stock pads if you prefer those. Ask them about the shims. They may not be needed with new pads. The carbon kevlars run about $90 or so for the front and perhaps a wee bit less for the rears.
Old 01-17-02, 09:11 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by Red93sc400
Glad you like the looks of the new rotors. If I remember correctly you got them recently on ebay. Right? Are they now installed and how do they work? I have similar rotors but mine are nickle plated. They are not yet installed. The last pieces just came in today, which are the braided stainless brake lines.

So in the springtime, once all the salt and slush and snow are gone I will get them installed. As far as keeping your new ones from rusting I have not a clue.

I did buy my rotors on ebay, I got them for $295. They work great. I can't really tell you if these rotors help you stop more than stock rotors would, because they are brand new and I have never braked with brand new OEM rotors.. I don't really see how the slotted / cross-drilled style would actually make a difference in performance. But they look cool I will post some pictures later this afternoon.
Old 01-17-02, 10:22 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Shims are reccommended, but w/ Lexus, you also have springs that push the pad off the rotor when not in use, they also stop squealing; so make sure they get those off your old pads before they pitch them.

60$ a set is a bit high; shop around. Is your car a daily driver?

Keith
Old 01-17-02, 12:35 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by VQT
Red93,

What's marking on the brake pads box (Kevlar?). How much did you pay? I think mine were about $65 front and ~$65 rear.

Hi VQT:
the front ones that i have are green pads from TireRack and the rear ones I forgot which brand. I am not at home to look at them as I am down in Atlanta on business. The rears If I remember are a brand with 3 letters, perhaps beginning with either and R or K?? Ring a bell. I am having an elder moment. :eek: