Supra TT Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-02, 08:56 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Supra TT Question

Okay guys, since the upgrades on my SC 400 or limited, I've
started looking at the possible SC 300 or Supra as a play toy.
If a persn was going to buy a Supra, what year model is the car to buy. I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but I'm sure that body changes were made and so forth. Let me know.
Oh anyone know the Supra website.

Shane
Old 01-18-02, 10:07 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well all TT 96s are autos

I'd get a 95 personally because you can get bigger loans with them

94s in good condition run around $18k-$22k depending on it being stock, modified, or whatever

95s run around $22k-$26k

This is assuming they aren't heavily modified. The big single turbo ones with tons of mods usually go for over $35k

I wouldn't get a car any older than a 96 since they went to ODBII and it makes it much harder to upgrade the car for performance. There are fixes; but its just easier to get a 94-95

As for transmissions. If you want a drag supra, an automatic is best. If you want a highway supra, a 6-speed is best.
Just depends on what you want.

There is LOTS of information on Supra owning and buying at both:
http://www.mkiv.com and http://www.suprastore.com
Old 01-18-02, 10:08 AM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just want a playtoy, let me suggest the Supra TT! Hell, if you have the money for a Supra (MY 93.5 - 98) I say go for it. They can be scary fast with just $1000 worth of mods and are among the best performance cars ever made. The only problem is that the cost for these cars have risen considerably since the Fast and the Furious, and the insurance on these cars are amazing.

However, they make excellent playtoys . I have a friend that owns two 1997 Supra TTs, he's only 19. One is being used as a cruiser and the other as a race car. Let me tell you, the race car is BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades), but the car pulls like there's no tomorrow. It'll be scary to think of what the car feels like when more upgrades are added. Of course, this is coming from someone that doesn't have a car right now. Rich kids, you gotta love them.

The Lexus SC300 can also be made to go fast as hell, look at some of the vids running around. This does cost an arm and a leg. If you can bum a ride in both cars, I'd say try them out first then decide.

The website for the Supra: www.supraforums.com
Old 01-18-02, 10:30 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Supra TT Question

Originally posted by SSmith
Okay guys, since the upgrades on my SC 400 or limited, I've
started looking at the possible SC 300 or Supra as a play toy.
If a persn was going to buy a Supra, what year model is the car to buy. I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but I'm sure that body changes were made and so forth. Let me know.
Oh anyone know the Supra website.

Shane
SC300 and a Supra are pretty much the same car. SC300 is a coupe and Supra is a hatchback. With SC300 you can turbo the engine or do engine swap to the Supra TT engine. Both are fairly expencive and will give you good results. If you want to make crazy fast car from both SC300 or a Supra (does not matter if it's TT or not) most likely you will spend the same amount of money.

I would say the SC300 is more of a sleeper. A lot of people wouldn't know how fast it is just because SC isn't such a famous car. If you go to illegals lots of races will know that your Supra is atleast 12 sec in 1/4 mile. With Lexus you will have a benefit of their doubt. Unfortunetly at some illegals here in Chicago people will focus on the SC300 more nowdays because of the mark guys like Cory and Ethan made around here. Yeah, I heard stories.

The reason why I went with SC300 is because I liked the car just as much as Supra and the one I found was in great shape. I initially almost went to FL to purchase a silver '94 Supra. Unfortunetly it turned out to be in bad shape like a lot of older Supras you see. Another issue was that these cars have crazy prices, not because of the Fast and Furious, it's because of the owners jacking up the price. I noticed the prices raised long before the movie came out.

If you go with the Supra and plan to stay fairly stock (stock twin turbo) then go with the '97. The '97 comes with bigger turbo housing and the only reason it has the same power is because it's more restricted. You can buy a 6 speed '97 also and for that year Supra TT was given a better automatic tranny I think. Was it the getrag tranny? Don't remember exacly.
Old 01-18-02, 02:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the influence that ALL SupraTTs automatic or 6-speed received the SAME turbos and everything...
that the only thing that changed was the later years got VVTI because of ODBII restrictions.

the 6-speed is a Getrag... I don't know if Getrag makes automatic trannies or not...

the 97 might have stronger parts in it; but all supra parts websites list automatic tranny buildups as the same price for all 93.5-98 trannies
Old 01-18-02, 02:45 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
I was under the influence that ALL SupraTTs automatic or 6-speed received the SAME turbos and everything...
that the only thing that changed was the later years got VVTI because of ODBII restrictions.

the 6-speed is a Getrag... I don't know if Getrag makes automatic trannies or not...

the 97 might have stronger parts in it; but all supra parts websites list automatic tranny buildups as the same price for all 93.5-98 trannies
Yeah, I am talking about US versions of the Supra. None of them got the VVTI and 96 or 97+ have the larger tubo casing. Ask on supraforums.com. I think they changed it because of OBDII restrictions. On the tranny I am not sure. I know earlier Supras didn't have the getrad trannies.