SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SuperMade Clear lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 05:35 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking about starting a thread about whats the cheapest anyone has priced new 2000 headlight assemblies to replace our mid-90s units from Lexus, which gives us new lights and all.
Old 11-23-07, 05:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

They look good on well modded cars. They'd look like **** on a mostly stock car. The lines give it character.
Old 11-24-07, 10:29 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
They look good on well modded cars. They'd look like **** on a mostly stock car. The lines give it character.
Character should be found in the rims, and other mods on the car, not headlights.

Headlights serve one purpose, to light up the road at night, in other words, having drivable lighting output.

The lines and flutes on the SC headlight inhibit the projector to fully illuminate the road, distorting the cutoff, and causing a decrease in overall performance.

So when one part of your car prevents another part from correctly doing its job, for the sake of aesthetics, that's called character?

I'm sure my cleared headlights with AP2's blazing will have a little more character than stock flutes.

Old 11-24-07, 10:34 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Nope....... You can have your opinion, but that's about all it is in MY opinion. Every aspect of the car makes up it's appearance. Ask anyone here if they thought the cars with the ricer tail lights affected the character of the car and we'll see if lights make a big difference or not.

Actually, no need to.... we've closed 4 threads already over the outrage.
Old 11-24-07, 10:50 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Picture this...

2 lane road, I am driving north, you're driving south, each of us at 35mph, broad daylight.

How much character will I be able to see on your headlights?

Same situation, except its 10pm, dark as night.

I will see meek halogens approaching, while you will see a color flicker that dazzles, and impresses, seeing it completely overshadows your 9006's.

Character?

or

Opinion?
Old 11-24-07, 10:55 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Star08
I guess they are pretty proud of them,but what are they made of?
glass or lexan?
Glass LOL, never, that would cost to much to make. Though if someone finally shelled out to make the glass ones, then perhaps that price would be justified. I just still find it amazing. My old 96 maxima had glass headlights and my 92 sc, which was a luxury car in its time came with plastic. WOW....
Old 11-24-07, 01:39 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would definitely rock a pair. I'm not a DIY when it comes to buffing headlights, I'm sure it will take many hours and still not come out looking as good as these.
Old 11-24-07, 01:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by emoshun
Picture this...

2 lane road, I am driving north, you're driving south, each of us at 35mph, broad daylight.

How much character will I be able to see on your headlights?

Same situation, except its 10pm, dark as night.

I will see meek halogens approaching, while you will see a color flicker that dazzles, and impresses, seeing it completely overshadows your 9006's.

Character?

or

Opinion?
Picture this...... you only get to see your car when you are not driving it. If you mod for everyone else, that's your prerogative.
Old 11-24-07, 02:42 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They look nice. The price doesn't. I'd invest that into a 2000 pair.
Old 11-24-07, 06:47 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the guy throwing up the pics. and info on the clear-lenses, but like the pig on Currys sig., my eyes get worse with time, so Im thinking a set of all new headlight assemblies would make my car like 90% better to drive at night. Now I need to call my local Lex. dealer and see what he can hook me up for on pricing.
Old 11-24-07, 08:11 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Curry
They look nice. The price doesn't. I'd invest that into a 2000 pair.
Yes, me, too. Although, I like the Supra clear headlight covers (and clear covers, in general; want some on my SC someday) with the black insides compared to the SC's lined headlight covers and chrome-looking inside. The chrome looks fine on the SC headlights because the corner turning lights and/or the high beams would still be chrome (unless you painted the inside/outside black, etc.). I like all black or all chrome headlight insides. The chrome and black mix some people have done just doesn't match or flow well, imo.

Last edited by SClean4; 11-25-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-25-07, 03:43 AM
longy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun

Character?

or

Opinion?
I’m sorry but I thought this was just about the exterior off the lights? If OLT was to have the same light internals then I would be impressed the same no matter which side of this road I was driving down.

in my opinion clear lens covers are stupid as it just shows the still ribbed indicator cover and all the places that silicon has gotten to the inside of the lens.

but thats just my $0.02
Old 11-25-07, 09:49 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the clear lens covers. They tend to modernize the 17 year old design of the light. The problem is that since the light was nto made that way, if you are planning to clear it, it is necessary to modify that stock chrome housing so that it does not show the hacked edges near the turn indicator. I would also get rid of the ribbed indicator, and redesign that in a more modernized fasahion. Last thing is to remove the partition separating the indicator from the rest of the interior housing. Then, the light would look quite good, IMHO... This would take a lot of work to accomplish...

Ryan
Old 11-25-07, 02:52 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like OLT said i do think the lines to fit with the SC like, but I personally wouldn't mine a set of clear lens I think that these would look very nice on an SC so once my car is returned to me from the body shop chances are i'll be getting a set.
Old 11-26-07, 12:54 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Picture this...... you only get to see your car when you are not driving it.
Firstly, that is the most over generalized, vague, numb observation I have ever read. Stating the obvious as a reply to my factual point. Good job!

Is that why you have spent countless hours turning your burnt out gauge cluster into neon colors, 'cause you're the only one who can see it?

Maybe that is why you have little to no exterior mods except off the shelf rims!

If you mod for everyone else, that's your prerogative.
Are you serious? Is that it? You missed the boat guy!

You disappoint me, if you think that doing a retrofit is just a mod so that other people can be wowed, you're stuck in some sad state that prevents you from asking questions, instead you're making assumptions.

A retrofit is for the driver, and only the driver. When correctly done, provides a serious boost in lighting output, driving safety, and driver confidence in bad weather conditions.

Any byproduct of a retrofit, such as seeing my S2K's razor sharp cutoff color band's flicker, is merely a bonus, and lets you know the output power my headlights pack.

This is fact my friend, no opinion involved, nor a pretentious point of view.

Originally Posted by longy
I’m sorry but I thought this was just about the exterior off the lights? If OLT was to have the same light internals then I would be impressed the same no matter which side of this road I was driving down.

in my opinion clear lens covers are stupid as it just shows the still ribbed indicator cover and all the places that silicon has gotten to the inside of the lens.

but thats just my $0.02
These clear lens covers are made for those that have done a retro, or want a clean look.

Mate, you have missed the point entirely, re-read the thread, and then read this thread, and you'll see why it's necessary if you're serious about lighting.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36740

Quick Reply: SuperMade Clear lens