SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 02:51 PM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azstinger1
Ok so I am getting my Dad's used SC300 at the start of Oct. Since he is driving it out here it will have about 200k miles on it. We bought the car and have maintained its service record since about 175k. So what is probably going to be do maintenance wise, or while not necessarily due should be looked at for that kind of mileage?

The leather on the front seats is gone, as in they need replacing badly. Does anyone know of any good places to have the seats redone in San Antonio or nearby (Austin, Corpus, heck even Dallas)?

Any ideas on how much it would be to get the shift synchro (its a 5 speed manual) worked on? Shifting down into first is damn near impossible unless the car is under about 15mph.

Little strapped for cash right now so can't dump tons of money into the car right now sadly, but planned upgrades/maintenance include, approximately in order (feel free to provide input),

New Tires
Leather being restored
Stereo System Upgrade
TT brake upgrade
New Mats (any recommendations?)
IS350 Wheels
New Steering wheel (thinking RX or old IS)

Sorry for the long post and being a newb
from my understanding there is no synchro in first gear.... not a good idea to slam it into gear anyhow.....

believe it or not wal mart has some really good rubber mats...traps all the dirt, rocks, pebble, barf etc........yes my mats are barf proven thanks to a friend.

leatherseats.com on egay has good seats, also katzkin is a good choice, both are fairly pricey but figure your good to go for another 15+ years

TT brake upgrade is cool, but kinda a waste in my opinion...looks cool...though... make sure your wheels fit over them first

good luck!
Old 09-24-09, 04:43 PM
kanukem
Rookie

thanks enigma =D. youve juts made my tune up more complete
Old 05-15-10, 07:56 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it? - ABSOLUTELY (driven SD to SF and back several times without a hiccup)

*How good are my tires? Tread good, air pressure correct, proper tire for the climate? - 32psi, even wear and they have another 10k miles left.

*got those struts changed!? They feel quite firm, no abnormal bouncing and no sound/visual of leakage

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!? - the engine is quite smooth actually

*Is your car smoking or knocking? - not at all

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!? - getting estimates on some repair work that needs to be done before they start splitting

*Got that busted speaker changed!? - all speakers are in perfect shape, along with the sub. PO was 66 year old FM radio fan and this stereo was never really cranked up.

*got some new tires yet? - there's about 18k on this set of tires and there's no need to replace them yet. when the time comes I'll be looking at some premium rubber. I've learned not to cheap out on tires.

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately? - Transmission was serviced 20k miles ago, differential will be taken care of this summer, but it's not making any noises right now.

*Is your power steering pump still leaking? - it never leaked. I did just have the fluid flushed out and replaced w/ Toyota ATF

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL? - the works about 15k miles ago, the oil less than 200 miles ago

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement? - mats are starting to wear down and I've been looking for suitable replacements, but I'm not happy with the choices offered.

*do your dashlights work? -yes, all of them.

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing? - no need for shampooing. it has been taken care of.

*Is your wind shield cracked? - very small chip that will be repaired soon

*Is your steering wheel a mess? - signs of wear on the top side, but nothing that one would call an eye sore. I don't think a $60 wrap is the solution to that.

*When was the last time you changed your brakes? - about 15k miles ago, pads, rotors and brake fluid

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed? - flushed 15k miles ago w/ the installation of new brake pads/rotors

*Radiator services, thermostat changed? radiator flushed a couple of weeks ago. there was no coolant in it, just clean water, what was the PO thinking?

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months! - AC blows cold, it hurts at highway speed (read 2750 rpm)

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside! - Heater is scorching hot.

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving? - Replaced 15k miles ago

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing? - No need for buffing. However there are a couple of small key marks and a couple of swirls that will come out easily. Planning to have it clay barred and buffed within a month.

Other maintenance related items since I purchased the car 2 years and 20k miles ago:

tires and alignment, t-belt, serpentine belt, auto serpentine belt tensioner, supra metal engine mounts and transmission mount, O2 sensors, air filter, cabin filter, trunk lid struts, alarm remote, 5 spoke SC400 chrome rims replaced my 6 spoke SC300 chrome rims, 5w-30 toyota oil/filter changes every 3000 miles, toyota radiator cap, egr modulator (membrane of old one had a hole), valve cover gaskets.

I plan to give it a complete detail inside and out within the next month, along with repair to some hairline splits in the leather of the driver's side seat and I'm determined to find out what's causing the 10k mile old serpentine belt to squeal.
It's been a pleasure to drive this 1996 SC300 over the past 2 years and 20k miles. I intend to keep it for a while (so I can pay off my student loan instead of adding another car payment).
Old 05-15-10, 09:13 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

LOL I saw this post back when I was lurking and just THINKING about getting an SC. I'm kind of glad it was dug up from 8 mos ago though because based on some of the posts Ive read people need this reminder.
Old 05-16-10, 06:27 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bspecmr2
*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it? - ABSOLUTELY (driven SD to SF and back several times without a hiccup)

*How good are my tires? Tread good, air pressure correct, proper tire for the climate? - 32psi, even wear and they have another 10k miles left.

*got those struts changed!? They feel quite firm, no abnormal bouncing and no sound/visual of leakage

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!? - the engine is quite smooth actually

*Is your car smoking or knocking? - not at all

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!? - getting estimates on some repair work that needs to be done before they start splitting

*Got that busted speaker changed!? - all speakers are in perfect shape, along with the sub. PO was 66 year old FM radio fan and this stereo was never really cranked up.

*got some new tires yet? - there's about 18k on this set of tires and there's no need to replace them yet. when the time comes I'll be looking at some premium rubber. I've learned not to cheap out on tires.

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately? - Transmission was serviced 20k miles ago, differential will be taken care of this summer, but it's not making any noises right now.

*Is your power steering pump still leaking? - it never leaked. I did just have the fluid flushed out and replaced w/ Toyota ATF

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL? - the works about 15k miles ago, the oil less than 200 miles ago

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement? - mats are starting to wear down and I've been looking for suitable replacements, but I'm not happy with the choices offered.

*do your dashlights work? -yes, all of them.

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing? - no need for shampooing. it has been taken care of.

*Is your wind shield cracked? - very small chip that will be repaired soon

*Is your steering wheel a mess? - signs of wear on the top side, but nothing that one would call an eye sore. I don't think a $60 wrap is the solution to that.

*When was the last time you changed your brakes? - about 15k miles ago, pads, rotors and brake fluid

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed? - flushed 15k miles ago w/ the installation of new brake pads/rotors

*Radiator services, thermostat changed? radiator flushed a couple of weeks ago. there was no coolant in it, just clean water, what was the PO thinking?

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months! - AC blows cold, it hurts at highway speed (read 2750 rpm)

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside! - Heater is scorching hot.

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving? - Replaced 15k miles ago

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing? - No need for buffing. However there are a couple of small key marks and a couple of swirls that will come out easily. Planning to have it clay barred and buffed within a month.

Other maintenance related items since I purchased the car 2 years and 20k miles ago:

tires and alignment, t-belt, serpentine belt, auto serpentine belt tensioner, supra metal engine mounts and transmission mount, O2 sensors, air filter, cabin filter, trunk lid struts, alarm remote, 5 spoke SC400 chrome rims replaced my 6 spoke SC300 chrome rims, 5w-30 toyota oil/filter changes every 3000 miles, toyota radiator cap, egr modulator (membrane of old one had a hole), valve cover gaskets.

I plan to give it a complete detail inside and out within the next month, along with repair to some hairline splits in the leather of the driver's side seat and I'm determined to find out what's causing the 10k mile old serpentine belt to squeal.
It's been a pleasure to drive this 1996 SC300 over the past 2 years and 20k miles. I intend to keep it for a while (so I can pay off my student loan instead of adding another car payment).
Great Job...many modded sc's out there, not many are 90 to 100% clean. I hope that those who put that much energy to customize and implement new projects for their car,use some of that same energy to maintain and keep the car right on point (right replacement materials,maintenance parts,etc). like I've said in the past, I would rather my car run like a champ be reliable and look like total crap than to look sharp and sound/run like total garbage...
Old 05-16-10, 02:29 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my car September of 08 and i have changed my engine oil every three months but i have never touched the tranny oil because i have read on the forums that after not changing the oil in so long my cause the oil to become very thick and changing the oil my cause your tranny to acting up! so in your best opinion what would you do if you was in my position?
also to some other power is more important then looks to be honest i rather beat someone that has a clean car with my beat up car then to have a clean car that gets mopped but some broke down piece of ish.
and my car is not a piece of ish... my blubs just started to go out, my seats are a bit worn, my mats can use a nice shampoo, and a paint job! but other then that changing all of that stuff that hasn't asked to be changed yet is good but you must admit that it's not a serious problem.
and that's all minor replacements!
Old 11-27-11, 10:02 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

With the influx if dime store SC's out there with kids running the last $20 they have in stickerz instead of an oil filter, this thread will always be relevant for a bump.
Old 08-03-12, 02:07 AM
chargerfan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

man, i am guilty for needing to fix a good 90% of that list .... lol
Old 08-03-12, 05:16 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after several months of warped rotors, i finally decided to pick up all the things for the LS upgrade.
Old 08-03-12, 01:53 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Darn!!! I'm glad my thread still has teeth... This site is still great and I love the Lexus SC!

The Ikon
Old 08-03-12, 10:25 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
With the influx if dime store SC's out there with kids running the last $20 they have in stickerz instead of an oil filter, this thread will always be relevant for a bump.
LOL
Old 08-04-12, 11:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Folks this is not a picture thread or "my car is fine" thread. It's for maintenance list of what you've done to restore your car to proper running shape. Do not post stupid things in it like a previously removed post "I don't repair my car it's just an old car", this thread is not for you. Ikon has kept the thread on track for a decade and we won't let it get spoiled just because a portion of the crowd being attracted to the SC today thinks maintenance is a driftmotion sticker and some flat black paint (but if you MAINTAIN the car with those things you're golden ). Please make all future posts similar to those before it with lists of maintenance done to restore your car's running condition.
Old 08-04-12, 11:33 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Folks this is not a picture thread or "my car is fine" thread. It's for maintenance list of what you've done to restore your car to proper running shape. Do not post stupid things in it like a previously removed post "I don't repair my car it's just an old car", this thread is not for you. Ikon has kept the thread on track for a decade and we won't let it get spoiled just because a portion of the crowd being attracted to the SC today thinks maintenance is a driftmotion sticker and some flat black paint (but if you MAINTAIN the car with those things you're golden ). Please make all future posts similar to those before it with lists of maintenance done to restore your car's running condition.
Repost. Just because what you said was spot on.
Old 08-10-12, 03:18 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

What's up my friends?! I see you and Dave are still hanging tough here at CL.com Man it has been a long time.....

Maintenance is the key.... Take care

The Ikon
Old 08-10-12, 03:24 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Why wasn't this thread "STUCK" in the "Sticky" section.... ?

There has been so many threads about HP gains, ECU, NOS, intakes, AFC, turbos, mufflers, racing, rims etc... The big question is... IS YOUR CAR RUNNING GOOD enough!?!?

Before you throw money into go fast goodies.... Answer these lil' question

*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it?

*How good are my tires? Tread good, air pressure correct, proper tire for the climate?

*got those struts changed!?

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!?

*Is your car smoking or knocking?

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!?

*Got that busted speaker changed!?

*got some new tires yet?..

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately?

*Is your power steering pump still leaking?

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL?

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement?

*does your dashlights work?

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing?

*Is your wind shield cracked?

*Is your steering wheel a mess?

*When was the last time you changed your brakes?

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed?

*Radiator services, thermostat changed?

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months!

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside!

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving?

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing?

If your car has ANY one of these problems STOP worrying about racing, turbos, S/C and 0-60 times and focus on perserving your SC to it's proper condition... I want a sweet looking ride that is plush, posh with the pananche of a $60K car... That drives, looks, feels, and rides like a SC... Focus on fixing a problem with your car and bringing it back to glory... Then you can make it perform better...

The monies we spend on mods/rims can get that older Lexus in mint condition before we know it... If you have a new Lexus keep it that way...

What maintenance goals do you have for your Lexus?

I could've save a lot of $$$ by not doing a lot of this, but would my car be running as good as it has been? Plus most of the info I used came from members here at CL!!! I did most of the labor myself thanks to you guys...

Just venting.. I see to many guys with ragged out Lexus trying to make it fast instead of reconditioning the car.. What type of repairs.maintenace have you guys done? Did you do it yourself?

The Ikon

Quick Reply: The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!