Can you pop out the roof??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 12:47 PM
baggio2000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you pop out the roof??

Hey guys,

So, a couple weeks ago I rolled my car. Took a turn a little too fast. Mechenically its perfect. One of the front fenders is pretty smashed in and the side is scratched. But what worries me most is the roof. Its got a few major dents in it. So I was wondering if it is possible to pop them out? I know with the roof, it gets kinda tricky. If not, is it possible to get a new roof and weld it on there instead of mine? How big of a project would that be?!

Thanks in advance!

George
Old 11-29-07, 01:23 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks, glad your ok though, go for a convertible =)
Old 11-29-07, 03:02 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

If you've bent your A, B or C pillars you've compromised the rigidity of the entire unibody construction. Technically you could weld a new one back on, but it will never handle the same.
I wouldn't recommend this and IMO the car is totaled. Just be glad you're safe! Buy another one and learn from your mistakes.

Last edited by habitat; 11-29-07 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 03:42 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

lets see some pics
Old 11-29-07, 04:13 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol a little too fast. I didn't know you could roll one of our cars since it is sooo heavy and low to the ground. Must have been heart pumping fun!

^ Agreed lets see some pics.
Old 11-29-07, 05:35 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

get into your back seat.. lay on your back and push you feet against the roof.. and kick with your feet flat footed. and keep doing it till it pops out. Then jump into you passanger seat, recline it and do the same. Then to your drivers seat. If you kick too hard then get out and climb up your hood then the windshield then onto the roof and jump on it to push it back in alittle.

Please take a vid and post this process too
Old 11-29-07, 05:48 PM
baggio2000
Rookie

haha thanks guys, ya, i came out without a scratch! these cars are amazing....the pillers are actually fine, just major dents on the roof by the moonroof.

I gotta say, the kicking idea did cross my head =/ haha

I just have a very hard time parting with this car, and I don't think i could take it to a junk yard....

Thanks for all the responses though! I'll try to post some pictures!
Old 11-29-07, 06:35 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baggio2000
haha thanks guys, ya, i came out without a scratch! these cars are amazing....the pillers are actually fine, just major dents on the roof by the moonroof.

I gotta say, the kicking idea did cross my head =/ haha

I just have a very hard time parting with this car, and I don't think i could take it to a junk yard....

Thanks for all the responses though! I'll try to post some pictures!
Was it just a graze? As in did not end belly up? No matter how well built these cars are, (3500 lbs) X (force of acceleration) on 6 skinny pillars, in my mind will deform.
Old 11-29-07, 07:33 PM
celiman05
Pole Position

you may be able to pop them out, but to get the roof to look like new, it will most likely be a very difficult task. the roof tends to have a movement because of the larger piece of flimsy sheet metal used. your best bet to get the dents out would probably be to use a stud gun (depending on the severity). this would involve pulling down your head liner so you can weld on a stud (with the stud gun). once you get them popped out, your gonna have to use a ton of body filler over the entire surface of the roof, most likely, and sand your a** off with a board sander.

but if the pillars arent damaged, you can probably buy a roof panel from the dealership and do it that way. either way, its not gonna be easy, or cheap.

glad your ok though.
Old 11-30-07, 06:28 AM
SteveTPA
Rookie

I agree with the convertible idea! I had a roof fix on an S-10 that I put on it's side. It came out ok, but like celiman05 said, you have to use a lot of body filler and sand, sand, sand, sand, and sand more. By the way, the S-10 had a 327 V8 and I was going 45 around a 90 degree curve. Not the smartest thing I ever did.
Old 11-30-07, 07:09 AM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Pull the headliner out then grab some body hammers. Its sounds like the roof is pretty messed up, what more can you do. Also post some pics, I would like to see this.
Old 11-30-07, 09:17 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i didnt know u can flip our cars over O.O i guess now ill actually watch out? or shuold i not worry about flipping since its a rare occurance.. or yea..
Old 11-30-07, 10:42 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics or gtfo

=P
Old 11-30-07, 11:52 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

PICS. sheet metal for the roof is $567.32 from lexus. you could delete the sunroof......if you pleased.
Old 11-30-07, 11:52 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

o yeah. Its a ***** to swap a roof. You better be good at body work..and welding. if you have a spot welder it's a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Can you pop out the roof??