Backlight Bulbs for the SC400/300 Temperature Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 07:47 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backlight Bulbs for the SC400/300 Temperature Control Module

Hey:
I have a used climate control display coming in for my 93 SC400. I would like to use it as a test bed to replace (resolder) the small light bulbs that are burnt out.

That said, does anyone have any spare bulbs for this unit? If not where is the best place to get my hands on them? I remember reading of a dealer that would sell them to all of us on the ClubLexus but I have lost and cannot find the name of this dealer. I also need the part number.
Old 01-22-02, 07:05 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Red93sc400, I just resolder 2 days ago, and I took pics(still in camera).
the bulb that I got from Steve(Carson Toyota) was 83119-24490 but it was different bulb.
I got this part number from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&pagenumber=2, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=17576, and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=15962.
I dont know if Toyota placed bulb in wrong bag.
What I did was just replaced new bulb into old socket. It was actually different size but it fits into old socket.
I suggest, if you change, change 3 of them, cause the bulb that I got is slightly different color than original green.
be careful with soldering. I dont know what I did wrong but after I changed right side bulb, left side is burnt out. If I have time, I'll do it again.
I might just gonna get good used climate display since mine is start leaking on the bottom and it's
kinda dark(which I can't fix)

I went to look those bulb at pepboy, radioshak and other store but no luck. If anybody knows where we can get, please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-23-02, 07:49 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Hey Taka!
Thanks much for that information!
I look forward to seeing those photos of your procedure for getting to the bulbs and soldering them in.

ALso, How did you get to the unit itself? I have never removed the bezel that goes around the console. You know, the bezel that has the two *****, On OFF for the radio and the climate control system. How do you remove this bezel?

Is it good to take it off in real cold weather? Typical temps here are real cold now and If it prys off, I do not want to break anything, like little nibs or pins or anything.

I will do an order of some of those bulbs.
Much thanks Amigo and post those pics!
Old 01-23-02, 01:24 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we all would appreciate a "How to" post from the people that have done it. We should make a Projects part of the forum for the frequent requests procedures.

I would like to do this mod too, and would like to know how those bulbs work.

Keith
Old 01-23-02, 01:58 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Yes I do agree with you that we should add a new sub-forum here totally devoted to Ho-To threads, especially those with pictures and commentary. For instance the great thread by our moderator COMPUTERWIZ on how to do the Supra Big Brake upgrade is in my mind a prime example of such a worthy set of posts.

I too hope to put one together on my brake upgrade when I do it. I just got in a new digital camera (Olympus D510) so it should be easy and fun to do.

I did order the bulbs today (10 of them) from the Carson Toyota dealership. They were $3,95 each. I have two temp control units so when I fix both of them up with new bulbs I probably will kind of start a "service". You ship me yours that has bad bulbs and I send it to you back with new bulbs. We will see however just how hard this is to do and what amount of labor hours is involved in the restoration.
Old 01-23-02, 06:24 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Taka, you might've put bulbs that were way over the wattage of the OEM ones which, may short out your system. If you are talking about the gauge lights. The instrument backlights which I am assuming use 3watts if, I remember correctly. If you are talking about the needle lights. They probably use less because, it is somewhat of a LED or indiglo light. Get the right part and see what happens.

Originally posted by Taka
Hey Red93sc400, I just resolder 2 days ago, and I took pics(still in camera).
the bulb that I got from Steve(Carson Toyota) was 83119-24490 but it was different bulb.
I got this part number from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&pagenumber=2, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=17576, and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=15962.
I dont know if Toyota placed bulb in wrong bag.
What I did was just replaced new bulb into old socket. It was actually different size but it fits into old socket.
I suggest, if you change, change 3 of them, cause the bulb that I got is slightly different color than original green.
be careful with soldering. I dont know what I did wrong but after I changed right side bulb, left side is burnt out. If I have time, I'll do it again.
I might just gonna get good used climate display since mine is start leaking on the bottom and it's
kinda dark(which I can't fix)

I went to look those bulb at pepboy, radioshak and other store but no luck. If anybody knows where we can get, please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-28-02, 05:36 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Guys, I just got in 12 bulbs from Carson Toyota for the Air Conditioner - Heater backlight control. The part number is 83119-24490. This is the bulb, with blue cover already installed in the gray bulb holder. There is NO SOLDERING that need take place.

You just unscrew (turn left) the old grey bulb holder that is burnt out, and install and screw in (turn right) the new bulb holder into place. There is virtually no need to take apart anything.

I have a spare used air conditoner unit which is out of the car so I tested it and it works great now with the new bulbs. In many other threads on this topic there was much talk about the need to solder in the bulbs. That is totally not needed or necessary with this bulb part listed above. In fact to be very honest, I am very very perplexed how one could solder in the bulb at all???

The gray plastic bulb holder does not lend itself to soldering. The bulb's leads are bent and crimped into place to provide contact to the weird green plastic membrane power strip. (it you have not seen this setup I tell you some designer was really on some good drugs when he or she designed this power strip, sheesh!!)

So if you have a bulb out in your Air Control, just order a few of these bulbs and bring them to you Lexus dealer and tell them to replace them. You can save yourself MUCH MUCH bucks that way.

ALso, if you are one of those who has somehow soldered the bulb in, please PM me? What the heck did you solder the bulb TO?
Old 01-28-02, 06:09 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey, Red93sc400, I'll make temp hp with pic what I did later. (I have like 25 pics)
I know which bulb (grey holder) you are talking about. Last time I changed this bulb but it didn't change anything, I still had problem with display. I thought this bulb is for the bottons.
I really wanna know what this bulb is for.
so your backlight all came back?
Old 01-28-02, 08:18 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Red93,

Well, as you dig alittle deeper you will find the bulbs that need to be soldered. Trust me.

The bulbs with the screw in base only light up the buttons. If your LED panel is dark at night...you will be digging deeper.
Old 01-28-02, 10:37 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Default site update

simple hp but here it is.
http://www.geocities.com/taka_sc400/index.html
Old 01-29-02, 07:33 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Taka and Dave:
Taka: Thanks so much for posting the picture sequense on the website. It now is all very very clear to me.

God, I stopped when I pulled out all the screws and for sure the thing did not come apart. I had no inclination what so ever to cut all of those wires to get behind the white plastic display. So that is where the bulbs are hidden???

Is there some other way to get to those bulbs other than cutting all those power pin leads? Cripes that is a fa-****-ta setup eh?

So Dave, did you get in there some other way or did you also clip all those leads and resolder them as well?
Old 02-01-02, 12:34 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Taka,

Thanks so much for the post. Just want to be sure on something. Part 83119-24490 is for button lights but you were also able to use it okay for display? Also, if I do this I want to replace ALL bulbs. How many to I need total for LED + Buttons? Lastly, as Red93SC400 asked, is there another solution besides cutting all the wires - I've heard if you are careful you can bend it?

Many Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-01-02, 03:46 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Part 83119-24490 is grey bulbs(slide #4 on my hp).
Actually I'm not sure what it is for.

why dont you open it, and check if your grey bulbs are burnt or not. This is easy job.

but you were also able to use it okay for display?
I ordered wrong bulbs, you should check with dealer or other members about part number.

is there another solution besides cutting all the wires - I've heard if you are careful you can bend it?
hmmm, I tried but I couldnt bend it. even if you could bend it, you have to unsolder the bulbs.

I suggest not to do it unless you have experience of soldering.
Old 02-01-02, 06:35 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Remove Console

There is an article with photos on the LSOC website on how to remove the centre console.

http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexuscl...treconsole.htm
Old 02-03-02, 09:42 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Red,

Sorry to take so long for the reply.

Do NOT cut those leads for the led to get the white plastic housing off. Instead the entire led assembly will bend out of the way just enough to get the white housing off. Trust me.

Then you will see the bulbs my young Jedi. hehe

Quick Reply: Backlight Bulbs for the SC400/300 Temperature Control Module