SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

salvaged and didnt know, just venting

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 01:25 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default salvaged and didnt know, just venting

So I just found out today, after 7 months of fighting insurance that my car was originally from Kansas and has a salvaged title from there. Out of my stupidity, I bought the car without doing the proper background check with a carfax report. The insurance company called and said they couldn't give me much money for it since it is salvaged, but the vehicle title doesn't say anything about it being salvaged. I am pissed and want to kill the everyone in the DMV (who doesn't?) because the DMV, especially CA with their liberal laws, should have put on the title that it is a salvaged vehicle. So anyone know who crashed an sc400 in Jan 2002 so I can find out the extent of the damage before? I hate insurance and I hate the DMV! Well enough venting, later all.
Old 12-01-07, 02:22 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why I always run a carfax before buying a car. Sorry to hear about that.
Old 12-01-07, 02:47 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's how I see it... If you got it for a good price, runs, drives, and looks fine... Then don't stress over it and beat yourself up over the whole deal. Yeah it's annoying and a let down, but if you like the car then keep it and don't go postal Maybe I'm trying to lighten your mood a bit and you'll hate me for it, but I do see where you're coming from and I feel for ya, man. I hope everything turns out alright
Old 12-01-07, 11:24 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

I wont go postal, no worries, just think the DMV should have put on the title that it is salvaged. Well I did get a good deal on it initially, and with the insurance money, which wont be too much, I should be able to buy a new kit and maybe a paint job. but that's about it.
Old 12-01-07, 11:34 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got lucky, I am an insurance agent ( don't hate me ), and our company doesn't even pay for salvaged cars, or don't even offer full cov for them.

How much you bought the SC for? For the price of salvage? if so I wouldn't complaint. However, if the seller cheated you, I would be going after him!!!
Old 12-01-07, 03:21 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
You got lucky, I am an insurance agent ( don't hate me )
No we don't hate you... it is the claims adjustor who we hate if we get a BS settlement.
Old 12-01-07, 03:27 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Well, find out why it was salvaged. But here's a thought: I have a salvaged car. It say REBUILT on the title. It HAS to.

That said, I got it for 5,000 with 37,000 miles on it. I am waaaay ahead of the game I figure. You might be too. Yes, I spent 1500 on paint, 1,000 in general work, a lot of sweat and blood on my part, but am happy overall.

Another thought: A friend had a 97 Mitsu 3000 GT turbo. He took a corner too fast. He bent one axle (these cars are 4 wheel drive) and damaged two wheels and two calipers. THATS IT. Guess what? Insurance totaled it. It doesnt take much for a car to be totalled when they are expensive like ours. Find out what the damage was. maybe it was negligible like my friends.
Old 12-01-07, 06:15 PM
stockySC4
Pole Position

interesting...

I've owned 4 salvaged title cars in the past (all bought that way, all ran excellent) and I never had problems getting them insured.

now I wonder what I would have gotten for them if they had been stolen.

is there some algorithm for non insurance ppl to figure this out? or are you generally "fu&ked"

cuz, I could have saved myself a lot of money by only purchasing liability.
Old 12-01-07, 06:37 PM
96sc300tt
Rookie

boooooo for salvage titles!
Old 12-02-07, 07:57 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockySC4
interesting...

I've owned 4 salvaged title cars in the past (all bought that way, all ran excellent) and I never had problems getting them insured.

now I wonder what I would have gotten for them if they had been stolen.

is there some algorithm for non insurance ppl to figure this out? or are you generally "fu&ked"

cuz, I could have saved myself a lot of money by only purchasing liability.
the percentage depends on the individual insurance co. the last company that i worked for would pay 70% of the value of the claim for a salvaged vehicle, though that figure was not allowed to be disclosed until an incident arose. we would offer the complete compliment of coverage for a salvage vehicle, and most(not all) will if it can be proven that the vehicle was returned to pre-incident condition.
Old 12-02-07, 08:07 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

At least your Not mad at us Kansans.

Sorry to hear this, what a bummer.
Old 12-02-07, 10:33 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

This has not been fun at all. Car out of commission for 5 months or so, and now it's been 8 months since the accident. I'm going to try and talk to the insurance guy and see if I can at least get the amount of the lowest apraisal.
Old 12-03-07, 05:49 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hold on.

you should ask the insurance company if they were charging you a premium for a salvage car, I am sure they will tell you no.

So take them to court, what does it matter if a car is salvage or not. I am sure they were charging you a regular premium, and now are trying to screw you.
Old 12-03-07, 10:46 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aliga
hold on.

you should ask the insurance company if they were charging you a premium for a salvage car, I am sure they will tell you no.

So take them to court, what does it matter if a car is salvage or not. I am sure they were charging you a regular premium, and now are trying to screw you.
i would if it were my insurance company paying. but it was the other drivers fault and my insurance wouldn't pay because I only have liability.

Thanks everyone for the help, didn't know I would get this much response since I was just venting. But with all the responses it has made me think of ways to "discuss" with the insurance company what to do.
Old 12-04-07, 12:55 AM
stockySC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andrewwake
i would if it were my insurance company paying. but it was the other drivers fault and my insurance wouldn't pay because I only have liability.

Thanks everyone for the help, didn't know I would get this much response since I was just venting. But with all the responses it has made me think of ways to "discuss" with the insurance company what to do.
good luck.

I feel for you. dealing w/ insurance company (health) that doesn't want to pay for my surgery AFTER they approved it.

btw, i think that's also why ppl are so relunctant to purchase high end (pricey) cars w/ salvage title. even if they were stolen and restored vs wrecked.

Quick Reply: salvaged and didnt know, just venting