Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 12:37 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REVIEW: SC300 5spd VS Legend 6spd

>>Arcura vs Lexus
>>Hey Legends6spds,

>>What year is your Legend? 2drs? 4 drs? How is it compare to >>Lexus, cost of maintenance, parts price, and reliability?

>>Thanks,
>>VQT

Well, I HAD a '95 Legend Coupe 6spd. LS
Current own '97 SC300 5spd

First of all. BOTH GREAT GREAT CARS. If I were to compare,

Legend has the better styling because it is just timeless, and much more RARER on the road. the Lexus is also classic and doesnt age over time, but I gota give the slight edge to the Legend. PPL break their necks when checking out the legend coupe, exterior and break their jaws when they see its a 6spd inside. And you just cant beat the name L.E.G.E.N.D.

Fun factor would be tied, the 6spd is sweet, however, the top 3 gears (4,5,6th) are all overdrive. i would say that the lexus handles better due to its supra chassis roots, but the difference is so ever slight since the SC feels heavier but got bigger tires with RWD.

Quality / Refinement - Lexus gets the nod. It's just so much smooother, as the legend 1st two gears are kinda rough. As expected, you can't beat Lexus refinement and quality. But the Legend is also as reliable as they come. You can run both cars 300k + easy with proper maintenance.

Mods - this is the reason why I went w/ the SC300. the mods for the legend is non-existent. other than I/E, u have to customize everything to mod the legend. but the SC's potential is endless. The inline 6 is bulletproof and the turbo kits and the supra shared roots makes this category a landslide victory in favor of the SC300.

Luxury also goes to the Lexus, better sounds system, better ACC and seats and overall lux. This is true even when compared to the Legend LS model (top of the line). The Legend has all the lux the SC has, but the lexus just feels more luxurious. The only knock is that the Legend has steering wheer audio control and Lexus don't?!?!?!?!

Overall, these are super great cars. I only drive the best
Legend maybe a bit faster, but totally depending on the driver. I haven't been with the Lexus long enough to truly tap its potential but neither cars will disappoint you ^_^
Old 01-22-02, 01:07 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You got to show me how to post the same topic on two or more site.
Old 01-22-02, 01:54 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
VQT wrote on 01-22-02 22:04:
What about the Legend seats belts? For the 2 drs, when you open the door it retract back so you can get out easily as oppose to SC seats belts...and other stuff that Legend has but Lexus doesn't...

I just try to talk myself into a 4 drs sedan Legend GS
By the way, I have two 93 SC400, one white and one green so I know about SC400. My brother has a 89 Legend LS and he stand by Legend. He doesn't think Lexus is as good as Arcura. May be he's thinking along the price range and the maintenance cost.
<<

You are correct, the seat sliding back on the lexus is a nice feature. However, I don't have anyone sitting in the back anyways, so this never really concerned me. But two COOOOOL things with the Legend is that
1: the rear window opens up and down, so you can control it like a 4 door. very few coupes have this feature
2: Coupe doors are big and hard to open/close. But the Legend has a special feature in that if you close the door and it didnt shut right, then it will AUTO shut it for you. Like it will suck it in even if you didnt close it hard enough and left a crack. This is a feature only found usually in Mercedes. VERY HANDY in coupes because I have a hard time with my Lexus now. I always close the door to softly and have to reopen and close again shut. Same applies to my passenger.

Maintenance wise, Acura is a tad cheaper? but mostly due to cheaper labor cost than parts. This is a toyota vs honda thing. Personally, i think its a toss up. Both makes as reliable cars as anyone and it can be total luck or chance that one car is more problem-free than the other.
'89 Legend coupe was nice, light and handled probably better than the generation 2. But to be honest, the '94-'95 coupes kicks *** and is light years ahead in luxury, styling and performance.

The GS sedan is also very rarer. You can try to find these cars but they are HARD AS HECK TO FIND. Automatics are reasonable, but the 6spd, you can practically forget it. The few you do find, probably have a bad title or something. Make sure you do carfax and know the car inside out before buying. forums.legend.org is a good place to go
Old 01-22-02, 03:07 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my old man had a Legend Coupe with the Type II motor. The car ran really, really well and it was a nice car to look at. Seems alot of the Legends on the used market have been abused or put back together. I think the interior of the Legend is somewhat bland, but they do represent a good value if you can find one that has been taken care of.
Old 01-22-02, 09:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but I guess its where you come from. But people here that own Legends are people that buy it because its cheap and it says Acura on it.

Most people don't like the looks of the Legend at all; its a ripoff of a lot of different cars. At least thats the majority thinking around here. People that are into ghettofying cars like putting 20" rims with chrome wheel well linings and fog tint with chameleon paint n stuff own Legends here.

Most people would never want to associate themselves with those people. Not to mention the two people I know personally that own a Legend are friggin idiots and have nearly killed several pedestrians; and both think they have something to prove about how they know more about cars than anyone.

When I say around here, I mean Mobile, AL and the surrounding area

Maybe its different in the rest of the US; but here in Mobile, AL the Legend is a wanna-be Lexus GS300 and isn't even in the same class of styling nor owners as the SC300.
Old 01-22-02, 11:04 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

FWD = GAY!!!
Old 01-23-02, 04:23 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Calm down sc300tt
FWD has its benefit too.

VQT
93 White SC400
93 Green SC400

Originally posted by sc300tt
FWD = GAY!!!
Old 01-23-02, 08:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL

Clint hit the nail on the head. FWD is gay. Its the one thing that makes the new Altima suck and makes the new G35 rule. (If they would only swap looks though)
I wouldn't date a fat chick just because she knew how to ****
Old 01-23-02, 10:47 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Bean, you need to realize I was talkin about the LEGEND COUPE. and not the Legend sedan. SO i donno why you think it's a GS300 rip off? The legend was also made 91-95. So how can it be a GS300 RIPOFF? more like the other way around?

The legend coupe is as distinct as you can get. Tell me who is it copying it from? I can safely tell you that I've gotten more looks and more ppl ask me, " IS that a NEW acura? " about my Legend than ppl asking about my Lexus.

Also, to compare a '95Legend coupe LS Type II 6spd to a '91 Legend std 4dr is like comparing a M3 to a 318 and say ALL 3 series suck because the 318 sux.

I can not speak for the ppl you know that are ghetto about their Legends. But to stereotype rest of the Legend owners based on your knowledge of a few is pretty ignorant. And oh, btw, the reason ppl buy them CHEAPER is because they are also OLDER than most cars. 91-95 legends are 6-11 years old and can be found for good value. just like a '92 SC3 can be found for CHEAP also. Please keep in mind a '95 Legend coupe LS is a $50k car brand new.

AS for FWD is gay... hmm, i like my RWD better. but an integra type R is FWD, it handles better than anything lexus has ever came up with. each has its own benefits. all in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 01-23-02 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-23-02, 10:52 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

oh boy, this is getting good.
Old 01-23-02, 10:56 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Integra Type R is not that cool
Old 01-23-02, 12:31 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I don't care what other people think about Lexus or Acura, FWD or RWD. I like all cars and I buy what I like.

Lexus is not that good for the price we paid new For that kind of money and you have to change the P/S pump, alternator, door hinge, A/C controller, speedometer/rpm needles gauge...It not small change either. So don't tell me Lexus is better than other cars. Don't get me wrong I like Lexus too. I have two of them, but I also have other cars.

Front wheel drive has advantage too.
If anyone can tell me the advantage/disadvantage of a front wheel drive vs a rear wheel drive on oversteer/understeer. How better is it to have RWD when taking high speed curve or is it not? Then concluded that FWD suck, I'll will back off. If you don't know what you're talking about and think that your Lexus is the best...

WHY DO WE HAVE TO PUT DOWN OTHER CARS?
BE NICE

Last edited by VQT; 01-23-02 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-23-02, 01:19 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

JohnnySC, i didnt say ITR is cool. i just said it handles better than anything lexus as ever made... and its FWD
thats all
Old 01-23-02, 01:21 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

It's all good, I was just playin. I have a buddy who has one and I love to goof on him about it. They do handle very well, just it seems the owners have over inflated ideas of the car's capabilities. Come to think of it, I think everyone does

Last edited by JohnnySC; 01-23-02 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-23-02, 01:54 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

when i was going to buy my next car
i test drove a two door legend.... but first gear to second was really rough.....
and then i test drove the SC and loved it ...
it came with two black lights.... and four tens in the back
but i got two twelves now that hit twice as hard
so i was happy with the lexus quality...
thats just me

Quick Reply: REVIEW: SC300 5spd VS Legend 6spd