SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hello everyone, just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07 | 08:38 AM
wanted:SC
Driver School Candidate

Default Hello everyone, just a few questions

Hi everyone my name is chris Im 18, almost 19, freshman at the University of Minnesota Duluth but I'm from Woodbury, MN (just east of the twin cities). I am by no means new to the car scene, i just sold my 350awhp talon tsi(got sick of the TERRABLE reliability, one prob after another!) and my friend has a ~375awhp WRX that i have helped with on every step, but I am new to the lexus/toyota scene and will soon be in the market for a SC300 5 speed under $8,000, just incase someone who can help me there is reading. I have been reading around forums of all sorts of cars and lurking through CL and clubna-t for a couple months now trying to figure out what I want to replace my cursed DSM with and I think I have decided on a SC300 because of its rock solid toyota egineering and reliability and its ability to make gobs of power either with the stock engine or with a motor swap, not to mention they are one of the best looking cars for under $150,000 imo. But I have a few questions before i really commit to one of these amazing cars
(yes i searched).

1. I do live in MN so there is winter, and lots of it, can anyone say how well the RWD SC300 handle the snow, they are heavy mother ****ers so it shouldnt be TOO bad but any input would be nice.

2. Any of you the went NA-t or 1/2JZ (since i will be doing one of the two) if you had the chance would you go back and do the other or neither?

3.Im sure this has been said b4 but i couldnt find the a straight answer, for suspension/coilovers ect... is pretty much every part compatable with the supra, aftermarket and OEM?

4.If you could change any one thing about your SC2/400 what would it be, looking for your opinion of the worst parts about the SC platform

Thank you for any info any of you can give me. love the site its awsome!
Old 12-04-07 | 08:44 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Welcome, amazingly we have a thread about every one of those, most even titled exactly what you asked such as this one:

.If you could change any one thing about your SC2/400 what would it be
Just do a quick search and you will notice we have sections for each so the answers will not be an all in one thread combo. :
Old 12-04-07 | 08:48 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

1. SC is bad in the rain and worse in the snow.
2. 1.5jz isnt bad, but complicating work. Both the 1jz and NA-T can achieve similar power levels, but usually more for the NA-T.
3. Yes everything is compatible, except for the upper control arms.
4. Weight mainly the the problem
Old 12-04-07 | 08:50 AM
Driver School Candidate

thank you, ill search harder next time i geuss sorry bout that
Old 12-04-07 | 09:10 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Dont feel bad, every one throws out the search thing just cause your new.

These cars are heavy + rwd, so yes.. they suck in the rain + snow. I own a mk3 supra, and in the rain i have to drive like a granny with brand new tires esp in the corners. Car wont move anywhere in the snow so I parked it last year for a week.

Honestly.. NA-t, 1jzgte, 2jzgte, 1.5jz... I would go two ways. If you want to keep it simple go NA-T. Good power without changing much. If you want to step it up I would go 1.5jz over a full 1j or 2j swap.

Why? Because you have the best of Both worlds, you see.. The SC300 came stock in japan as the soarer with a 1jzgte. So obviously getting a 1jzgte head on a 2jzge bottom end (.5 litres more than 1jz) would be nice. Wiring harness from the soarer would be plug and play besides a little harness lengthening. You will have to tap in for an oil feed, and drill an oil return into your pan.. but you will have to do that anyways if you go NA-T so whats the big deal?
Old 12-04-07 | 09:46 AM
Driver School Candidate

so a 1.5jz is a 2jz-ge bottom end with a 1jk head and turbo(s) and manifolds? i have read about a "1.5jz" but never fully understud what it was, thank you
Old 12-04-07 | 05:18 PM
joewitafro
Racer

It can go two different ways.. 1jzgte head with 2jzgte or GE bottom end. The manifolds, turbos, etc all attach to the head so yes you need those. Most people who go 1.5jz just buy a t4 manifold and put on a single turbo to get rid of the stock twins because their junk.
Old 12-04-07 | 05:54 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

1. In the rain our cars suck without good tyres (just like most other cars), however with our cars being heavy, when stock once they go around they rarely ever come back.

2. No comment... I have a stock 1J VVTi. If this motor ever dies (which I highly doubt) I'd probably end up going 2J VVTi.

3. Yes. And also, unless you know exactly what height, spring rate etc. you want I'd suggest a set of coilovers so you can tailor the suspension to your needs.

4. Not much to be honest. I do miss my sunroof though... and I want the US analogue dash already.

Welcome to CL.
Old 12-04-07 | 05:58 PM
Driver School Candidate

ok well this is very interesting so now i have some more questions, if these are easy to answer with a search just dont answer at all and ill get the hint. its just easier to ask them and get all the answers all at once.

where is the best place to find just a 1jz head or should i just buy a auto 1jz for like 600 then transplant everything?

When doing a 1.5jz is it better to get a thicker HG to lower compression or just go with a stock 1jz HG?

I have read that the drewgo mani is pretty freakin sweet and ill be looking for about 400whp to keep things in range of the w58 till i find a r154 so i want a turbo small enough to spool fast enough to be worth running the "low" hp but big enough so i can turn up the boost for 5-600 when i get the trani what turbo would work best, t67, gt30, gt35 or something else(i am used to the power levels and spool charactoristics of a 4 banger so this I6 thing is a whole new ball game, gt35 was a HUGE turbo on a I4 and spooled at like 4500rpm if not later and on here wouldnt it spool closer to 3500? anyways if you guys feel like answering any of my questions i would love the help if not i understand
Old 12-04-07 | 06:06 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

I'd suggest going for either a 1J transplant or go NA-T on the factory 2J. There have been quite a few clean conversions I have seen on this forum, kinda makes me feel like I should've bought a N/A 2J Soarer instead of a 1J Soarer since the N/A's usually have all the bells and whistles (mainly a sunroof and leather from factory) and just turbo that ish. As for me my dream would be to slap on a GT3037 onto the 1J with the existing rebuilt auto transmission rebuilt (I can handle stick but I'm too lazy too especially in the traffic I'm stuck in day in/out)... I'm sure those mods (along with upgraded fuelling) should be able to get me into the ~500HP mark easily.
Old 12-04-07 | 06:14 PM
Driver School Candidate

so a gt30 on a 1jz through a auto tranny would make ~500 is that wheel or crank not a bad option anyone have opinions on a gt35 or maybe a happy mediun gt32 or a t series turbos(i dont know the t series turbos for beans )
Old 12-04-07 | 07:16 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

I have no input for your questions, but you will love this compared to the Talon. Its a blast...
Old 12-04-07 | 07:42 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Turbo.. Go for a GT4082.. Full boost by 3500rpm or so. its a great turbo that Drewgo used to made close to 500rwhp on pumpgas with. Or if you want something a little bigger, GT4088 is another cheap but good turbo. Brand new for about 800 dollars, 62mm wheel or so (not sure on exact specs).. an capable of 500rwhp, but I think it might max out around 650 on race gas. Dont quote me on that.

Your best option is finding a soarer 1jzgte motor and get the wiring harness + ecu then selling the 1jzgte bottom end if you want to go 1.5jz.

Or you can go to supraforums, supramania, etc and find a 1jzgte head by itself for around $400-$500. You then would need the intake manifold, drewgo t4 manifold, turbo, oil line kit from boostwerx or boost logic and have the harness extended 18". Need to fix the dash by jumping a few resisters and attatching a ground, probably good idea to upgrade injectors.. Keep in mind about 1cc per 1 hp. So 550cc injectors should be SAFE (not maxed out duty cycle) around 500rwhp. Any more questions just ask me, i've researched it for many many hours.

Last edited by joewitafro; 12-04-07 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-04-07 | 09:11 PM
Driver School Candidate

redphoenix-thank you i am VERY excited to find the perfect sc to start modding

joewitafro-i sent you a pm fyi
Old 12-05-07 | 08:49 AM
joewitafro
Racer

np. Btw for your 8k budget i'd just buy a 3k auto and swap a R154 ontop of that 1.5jz setup ..

Replied to your PM aswell.

Quick Reply: Hello everyone, just a few questions