SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nakamichi or Pioneer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 06:09 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey PERRYinLA, I'm not Audiophile and can't judge what's good, what's not, but I'm happy with my front stage sound from MBQ.
First of all, when I got this car, both of my front speakers(stock speakers) werent working. so I can't really compare with other speakers. One thing I noticed from my MBQ was it's a little bright for my ear. but after I changed the setting for tweeter, it's really good.

and I think NAK speakers are 4 ohm, that's what it says on my stock speakers.
Old 02-04-02, 09:05 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Taka,

Brightness for MBQ is quite normal due to the titanium material in the tweeters. Titanium is good for transmitting energy but is POOR at damping energy. While MBQ's website mentions that titanium is superior, it doesn't mention anything about DAMPING the energy. Also their website says that harshness and ringing is from the electronics. HOGWASH. Even if you have over 20k$ in electronics (my GS does) and has been finely tuned and modified, you'll still get the ringing. Can't be helped...it's a titanium thing. Though MBQ does make a good speaker, it's not the best in terms of imaging, soundstage or neutrality. This is from personal experience since I've owned MANY sets of MBQ. Two 218.03's, 160.03's, 130.03, 130.02 and HX25 tweets. I sold all of them when I heard one set of Dynaudio speakers. Neutrality and soundstage are pretty much unmatched in the field of car audio...and they make great home audio speaker components too! I'd suggest you give the Dynaudio speakers an audition. EXCELLENT.

Jeff Bertwell...he's one of the HONEST guys at MBQ. None better. Note that he's TECH support and NOT marketing. Big difference.

Any other questions, feel free to post on the Electronics forum.

Percy
GS400
Krell, McIntosh, Dynaudio, Velodyne, Monster M Series, Sony ES, Optima, Deflex.
Everything modded except the Dynaudio speakers, the Optima battery and Deflex panels.
Old 02-04-02, 09:24 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Percy, I'm just new to audio system
but I will audition one of Dynaudio speakers, someday. I always trust your words.
glad that you visit sc forum
Old 02-05-02, 09:27 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nakamichi or Pioneer?

Originally posted by BriMcc
How do you know what system you have? I have wood grain trim where the name "Nakamichi" should be. Do I have to take the trim off? Should the CD changer have the name on it?

Do you have an aftermarket wood-dash kit? Pics?