SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 09:45 PM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window tint

Just today I brought my newly acquired Pearl SC4 for window tinting. It looks very nice...except for one problem: the installer cut the film around the third brake light. It looks horrible, resembling a hole in the window. When asked, he stated that he couldn't remove the brake housing due to liability. I have never seen this done before. I previously had an Acura Integra and the installer removed the brake housing to apply the film.
My questions are:
1. Is this a common practice? I think not because I have not seen this before.
2. How difficult is it to remove the third brake? Should the installer do it or should I do it (for liability reason)?
Any answer would be much appreciated.
BTW, I love my SC4...looking to upgrade.
Thanks again.
Old 01-22-02, 09:53 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks dude!!!

I got my windows tinted about two weeks ago, and my whole rear window was tinted. And they did not remove the brake light housing. But removing that isn't too hard...I think you have to remove the rear seats, which is a 5 minute job...

When I had my Accord tinted, they did the whole window also...and I don't think they removed the light for that either.

Where'd you get tinted? Where are you from?
Old 01-22-02, 10:02 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I owned a detail shop for 2 years and this was very common with my competitors... It appears the installer did not know how to take your seats out or did not want too... He saw a Lexus SC4 and thought "Damn if I fu@k up his car I will have to pay a load of money":eek: It was probably the 1st SC he ever tinted.. If I was you go back in the morning and get it done over..... BUT BE VERY CAREFUL with the rear defroster grid!!!!!!

Did he use I whole sheet or strips? Single sheets look the best....

As Howie said... that sucks!
Old 01-22-02, 10:18 PM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the quick responses. Does he have to remove the rear seat to install the film? Is there any other way?
I am going to ask him the remove the film and reinstall it correctly tomorrow. Is it difficult to remove the film after a day or so? BTW, he did use the sheet...Sungard 33% on all windows.
Old 01-22-02, 11:23 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have..third brake...when I got this car, it was already all tinted and I only had third brake on spoiler...
when I remove rear seats, I could see all broken glasses..wondering if they are related with tinting window..
Old 01-22-02, 11:48 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I'm assuming you don't have the SC wing..... It may be difficult after a day or two.. The adhesive will adhere to the defroster grids and MUST not snatched off.. It will cause your defroster NOT to operate properly IF just one or two strips are damaged...

Most guys will never notice once the tint is on the window until it's time to use the RD.. Then NOTHING or a few grids will work or half or a line or two..........

Do you have any pictures of it? Or can you get a a few? Ask a few friends how they like your tint?
Old 01-23-02, 08:54 AM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Just talked to the installer (Green Valley Auto/Home Tint in Henderson, NV). He states that it's against the law to tint the third light ??? (Is he BS'ing since I've never heard of this) Pushing him further, he states that he wouldn't remove the back seat (because he is not ASA certified and can ruin the car) but if the brake light housing comes off then he would be able to tint the whole back window (contradicting himself). When asked about the contradictory statements, he would not admit it and go into a whole bunch of BS ie. I'm the best in town and in business for a long time etc... He would not remove the tint or refund my money either. Oh well, another lesson learned in life. My wife thinks it looks OK, so I just have to learn to like it (I would be leary now to have him remove the tint since it can damage the defroster).
So for all of those out there who want to tint your beloved SC, make sure the installer can remove the back seat to tint the whole window.
Thanks again for all the helps.
Old 01-23-02, 09:04 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 99.75% sure that my tint people did not remove the back seat. I was there while they tinted and didn't see my rear seats out. I'm sure there is another way to tint that part of the window. Again, that really sucks, dude.
Old 01-23-02, 09:12 AM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Do you think the border will be noticeable if I have someone else tint that little section. Is it worthwhile? You're right.. it really sucks big time...
Old 01-23-02, 10:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PearlSC4
Just talked to the installer (Green Valley Auto/Home Tint in Henderson, NV). He states that it's against the law to tint the third light ??? (Is he BS'ing since I've never heard of this) Pushing him further, he states that he wouldn't remove the back seat (because he is not ASA certified and can ruin the car) but if the brake light housing comes off then he would be able to tint the whole back window (contradicting himself). When asked about the contradictory statements, he would not admit it and go into a whole bunch of BS ie. I'm the best in town and in business for a long time etc... He would not remove the tint or refund my money either. Oh well, another lesson learned in life. My wife thinks it looks OK, so I just have to learn to like it (I would be leary now to have him remove the tint since it can damage the defroster).
So for all of those out there who want to tint your beloved SC, make sure the installer can remove the back seat to tint the whole window.
Thanks again for all the helps.
I'm not sure about the 3rd light law, but it is done all the time!! In MS in 93' it was not against the law.. Law varies from state to state..

But this guy appears NOT to be a STAND up type of business "man"... ASA certified.. HA HA HA HA...:eek:

IF you are in the business to TINT you HAVE to REMOVE panels, lights, seats, and trim all the time!!! EVERY GOOD tinter' has a kit of tools to remove these things...

***Why don't you call your local highway patrol station or police and ask about the tint law on the 3rd brake light in your state.. If he is proven to be a liar, present your facts and demand your money back for the REAR window only! If not take his LYING *** to small claim court!!! And SUE for the entire refund for the tint on the car....

**Lastly the best thing is winning AND telling everyone you sued him an won.. This will hurt him most of all.
Old 01-23-02, 11:20 AM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Just called the police department and it it NOT illegal to tint the third brake light as long as it is still seen when braking. I only used the 33% tint so I think it should be OK. Unfortunately, he is out doing a residential job...I'll just have to call him later
Old 01-23-02, 04:45 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

How much did the tint job cost? What is the guy name? Is he the owner or just an employee?

So when are you going to justicve court and sue the business?
Old 01-23-02, 05:47 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to let u guys know...if u r referring to the 3rd brake light in the window....u DO NOT need to remove the seats to remove it. To remove it, just grab it near the window, push the sides in a lil and pull HARD. (u may want to try and pry it with something 1st so u can get ur fingers under it. That is all u have to do to take it off. The cover reveals the sub, and the light is "in" the cover. To remove the light (if need be), u will see approx. 6-8 screws that will need to be removed and that is it. Hope this helps and tells us what happens.

Derek
Old 01-24-02, 12:36 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

If that's all involved, this guy needs to be kicked in his A$$.. Just a few screw and a lil' prying... You need to print and show him the directions IN court!

*Dereck you must have taken yours off before? To take the bulb out since you have the rear wing w/light built in or to exchange a burnt bulb?
Old 01-24-02, 04:33 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 3rd. rear light is not in the wing, but in the window. Actually, I took it out b/c i thought that i had a light burned out. If u press on the brakes and look at the rear light, it looks like there is a light missing in the middle (it looks like there r two lights on either side that light up, but it looks like there should be three.). However, when i removed it, there are only two lights, so i was wrong. If u need pics, I will tryt to post some on here soon. (need the fire-wire for my dig. camcorder)

Quick Reply: Window tint