SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replica Auto Couture Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 03:44 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_coupe

Case in point: How much better chanh55's car looks after the switch from replica Vertex to authentic AC:drool:
LOL. you speak the truth
Old 12-07-07, 06:44 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by habitat
I think people who believe a 92-00 SC is somehow special should buy a calender. Its almost 2008 people, our cars are between 8-16 years old. I bought my car for 5500 dollars, in another words I don't have a lot of money. If there is a replica AC kit out there for a fraction of the $1700 needed for the genuine version, I'd get it in a heartbeat. IMO, $1700 dollars is much better spent toward a nice 1jz+r154.....

LMFAO!!!!!!! 8-16 or not our cars are the ****!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-07, 08:07 PM
regulatorr
Rookie

Just cause the Sc300 is old and it's cheap doesnt mean it losses it's class.
Old 12-07-07, 08:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
it's ok, alot of people on these forums think about it and would buy it in a heartbeat if a fake AC kit existed, it's just that you were the only one who said it outloud.
Troof.......

If the fittment were correct the quality wouldn't be too far off because the AC kit is fragile.
Old 12-07-07, 08:27 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think people who believe a 92-00 SC is somehow special should buy a calender. Its almost 2008 people, our cars are between 8-16 years old.
Come to Northeast Indiana. You will see an SC once a month. It is not a well recognized car either because the production numbers were so low to begin with, and this is GM country. The first question I am asked by total strangers is not how old my car is but what my car is.

Old or not, the design is classic and timeless. I judge this by the praises I get from grey old men and hormonally-challenged teenagers alike.

There is no reason to throw down hate and shoot down the efforts of those going for the authentic kit. Toyota engineers have worked their nose to the grindstone for too many years for us to cheapen our cars. It's the work of these engineers keeping your engine alive to well over 100k miles so that you can even start hating on the age of the car.

The SC is old. The SC is still sexy. Toyota made these cars to be of high quality. I say we keep a good thing going.

Who cares if this is all some of us can afford? We might as well make the most with what we can. I'd rather have a lowered, supercharged 5MT SC400 with massive brakes than a stock CLK55 AMG any day of the week. I made this exact decision, and I don't look back unfavorably upon it for a minute.

Man...that fired me up a bit.

Last edited by Blizzy; 12-07-07 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 08:50 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Come to Northeast Indiana. You will see an SC once a month. It is not a well recognized car either because the production numbers were so low to begin with, and this is GM country. The first question I am asked by total strangers is not how old my car is but what my car is.

Old or not, the design is classic and timeless. I judge this by the praises I get from grey old men and hormonally-challenged teenagers alike.

There is no reason to throw down hate and shoot down the efforts of those going for the authentic kit. Toyota engineers have worked their nose to the grindstone for too many years for us to cheapen our cars. It's the work of these engineers keeping your engine alive to well over 100k miles so that you can even start hating on the age of the car.

The SC is old. The SC is still sexy. Toyota made these cars to be of high quality. I say we keep a good thing going.

Who cares if this is all some of us can afford? We might as well make the most with what we can. I'd rather have a lowered, supercharged 5MT SC400 with massive brakes than a stock CLK55 AMG any day of the week. I made this exact decision, and I don't look back unfavorably upon it for a minute.

Man...that fired me up a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and constantly contemplate plans that exceed the nominal value of it. I just don't like it when our cars are described as "classy" because, A.) it's a pretentious word to begin with and B.) If you base your argument on an SC's luxurious features set, realize that even Mazda 3's have leather and power windows these days (not to mention built in mp3, nav, bluetooth, and an engine with more power which are not available on our car).
I also agree that a lowered supercharged 5MT SC is a great car (I'm jealous of 50% of the SCs I see on this forum), however my argument (in my case) is that spending 30% of my cars worth on a body kit is absurd. I'm all for performance and handling, that is why I chose an SC (5spd, room for potential engine, and FR layout) as my car.
To clarify, I am not bashing people with the money to purchase a genuine AC kit, I'm merely arguing that many of us have an SC because we don't have large amounts of disposible income so a replica of a well desired kit will receive a warm welcome. I'll say it again, I LOVE MY SC... but it ain't no G37 thats for sure.
Old 12-07-07, 08:56 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think people who believe a 92-00 SC is somehow special should buy a calender. Its almost 2008 people, our cars are between 8-16 years old. I bought my car for 5500 dollars, in another words I don't have a lot of money. If there is a replica AC kit out there for a fraction of the $1700 needed for the genuine version, I'd get it in a heartbeat. IMO, $1700 dollars is much better spent toward a nice 1jz+r154.....
Habitat: I gotta pipe in on this one. I first want to say that I think it is rude of you to state what you did above. Do you think that just because a model is out production, it is not special? I think not!! Many have sunk large amounts of cash into their " older " cars, Why does age make them any less special?

I do not normally state this, but I have lot's of cash, and I chose to spend it on my "special" Lexus. I do not own my car becaus it was "cheap" Plus I bought it several years prior to the drop in price you now see in them.

Ryan
Old 12-07-07, 09:35 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I do not normally state this, but I have lot's of cash, and I chose to spend it on my "special" Lexus. I do not own my car becaus it was "cheap" Plus I bought it several years prior to the drop in price you now see in them.

Ryan
Ryan,
I agree with you dude...some of us here have deep pockets and are commited to modding their SC rather than driving something else. I don't blame them. I can't think of another car I would rather be driving day in and day out. That's a scary thought. No matter how many times I preach to my buddies about buying a Ferrari or an Aston Martin if I hit the Lotto, my money cannot buy a car that is sexier than my SC...in my honest Opinion...

I also own a Tacoma that was purchased brand spankin new. I was hoping to use it as a daily driver(as well as hauling my fishing buddies and gear around) but I still drive the SC to work instead. I wake up debating on which car I should take and end up naturally grabbing the key with the "L" on it... That's because I cant get enough of my SC. Even with over 200k miles, my 93 SC is still that special to me....

As for modding, take SC_coupe's advice...come up with a game plan that you must be commited to and do it right the first time. Cutting corners won't help either. You have got to pay to play, no matter how long it takes a you...
Old 12-08-07, 12:18 AM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

I prefer to build my car from the ground up. I could very easily do any custom paint and body I could dream up. It's what I do for a living. I choose to keep my car simple and black. I might even keep my stock wheels because visual aesthetics aren't for me. I fully agree with the whole do it once, do it right ideal. I am by no means wealthy, but I am a very patient person. I will do it right the first time even if it takes forever. My car may be 15 years old but I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything......
Old 12-08-07, 01:11 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people who believe a 92-00 SC is somehow special should buy a calender. Its almost 2008 people, our cars are between 8-16 years old.
I guess the SC will be a classic soon, though, right? What's a classic, 20+ years, I thought or it might be longer? It's already a classic as far as I'm concerned. Such a clean and timeless design and (like Blizzy touched on) relatively rare with only 82,538 SCs produced, not including the Soarer. It's just too bad Toyota/Lexus didn't let the U.S. have the Soarer's advanced electronics.

Last edited by SClean4; 12-08-07 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 02:03 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
Approx. $1700...
That's it? Doesn't the Vertex kit go for $2300? I'm surprised more people don't have it. The GS guys have it worse. JP, Aimgain, etc go for like $3-4k.
Old 12-08-07, 02:37 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and constantly contemplate plans that exceed the nominal value of it. I just don't like it when our cars are described as "classy" because, A.) it's a pretentious word to begin with and B.) If you base your argument on an SC's luxurious features set, realize that even Mazda 3's have leather and power windows these days (not to mention built in mp3, nav, bluetooth, and an engine with more power which are not available on our car).
To clarify, I am not bashing people with the money to purchase a genuine AC kit, I'm merely arguing that many of us have an SC because we don't have large amounts of disposible income so a replica of a well desired kit will receive a warm welcome. I'll say it again, I LOVE MY SC... but it ain't no G37 thats for sure.
How is the word "classy" pretentious? Just because a Mazda 3 has leather, power options, and the latest stereo gadgetry does not make it luxurious...The two cars are not even similar in driveability, comfort, precision, quality, etc.

I have got to tell you, if you don't have any money, driving the SC is not the wisest car to drive...Buying an old one and renewing it to its original stock condition will cost you a small fortune. The very nature of the SC speaks, rather, "exudes" style, quality,expensive, and precision...That is more likely why you and so many others buy this car...Even though it is 8-16 years old. What really impresses me is that even after aging that much, this car still clearly speaks what its original intent was...A luxurious sport coupe with style, beautiful lines, panache and quality.

On another note, I can buy a used Porsche Carerra 4S, a $100,000 car off the lot today, for approximately $30k-$40k. That is $60k-$70 less than a new one...Does that mean it's not a G37 because it is cheaper? I take the used Carerra any day over the new G37!!! Does that mean the used one is less of a car than the new one? I think not!! The new one may have some additional features added to it, some improvements made, but I will pocket the savings, and put them into some other worthwhile investment, and smile all the way to the bank...

Habitat, I am not hating on you man, but you fired me up when you made such an obtuse, and all encompassing statement. Now, I have not seen your SC, but if it is "old", has many worn and broken interior parts, many mechanical issues, squeaks, rattles and rolls; then you have a point in your statement. Any car, whether new or used is not a lot of fun to deal with if it has issues...That can make almost any "other" car seem better.

Ryan
Old 12-08-07, 03:57 AM
itazura
Pole Position

Thumbs down

i heard somewhere that RaceonUSA got their hands on a AC kit to replicate. im hoping they wont copy it!! say it aint so!! crossing my fingers they wont!!