SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help me do some decision making

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 12:30 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me do some decision making

I need to know where the rock bottom cheapest place to get FACTORY OEM headlights is for my SC300.

I couldn't find this in search sooo...yeah.

I am more inclined to buy the black ones on Ebay because of the cost being cheaper than any dealership I have called. Lexus of Mishawaka wanted $365 for ONE headlight. I can get the black ones from Ebay for $280 ish.

Is there a place I can get *brand new* OEM lights for that cheap? Even if it were slightly more, I'd consider it. I can't afford $600 for two new lights.

Help is appreciated. If it is in the search, PM me the link to the thread or post in here.

Also, what do you think for my situation? It's a black on tan car and if I purchased the black lights I would de-line and paint black the high beams.

Just doing some brain work right now.

I'm torn.
Old 12-09-07, 12:37 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think carson toyota has them for slightly under $600..You can call them up directly or PM Sal here on CL..Check out vendor section...

I wouldn't buy eBay aftermarket, I'm pretty sure the quality is not as good as OEM..IMO, they look tacky and out of place...You definitely get what you pay for in this case...
Old 12-09-07, 12:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Everyone want's an economical price, but where you sacrifice quality is where you go wrong. Find an OEM set at a good price, not a cheap set at a good price.

Carson is your best bet, or just do the refinishing DIY which everyone should do.
Old 12-09-07, 12:55 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

They can't be as bad as a headlight that someone already tried resealing with silicone and having broken aiming adjustment screws and stuff. My current lights are shot and can't be aimed at all.

I like the look of the black lights but wouldn't want to open up brand new OEM lights.

I also can't really afford more than $400 and really need new lights for all the winter driving I'm doing. When I leave for work in the morning, its dark out. When I come home its getting close to being dark. My headlights are horrible right now.

I tried emailing one of the Ebay vendors, but never got a response back. I tried seeing if they could come down in price at all.

I wonder where all these guys are getting them from. I wouldn't mind becoming a wholesaler for those via Ebay and giving people that want them on CL a discount.
Old 12-09-07, 01:01 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

OLT--You're right about quality comparison. I'm sure the OEM lights are a million times better, but for the cool look and right-now-cost-effectiveness the black ones are in the lead.

I'd like to do the refinish, but I'm afraid that if I do it, my other headlight will turn out like my driver side one. The previous owner must have attempted to do so and didn't do a good job. It looks like there is more silicone on this light than in Pam Anderson's knockers. It even sticks out from the normal area. I'm not sure if that is due to the silicone, being hit by a deer (Owner told me), or a combination of both.

The DIY though presents a problem to me. The light that the previous owner did has little cracks in it that are visible up very close. It also seems as if both lenses are yellow on both sides. I have tried using rubbing compound and about every polish under the sun, but the yellow comes back after a while. I have yet to open them up though.
Old 12-09-07, 01:10 PM
MRD13
Rookie

look up some soarer ones one ebay. u can get a set of two for about that much.
Old 12-09-07, 01:17 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

HAHA.

I love how they refer to them as JDM when they are the same lights. A company called JHOT is selling a high and low beam housing set for $150 plus shipping.

That isn't bad but I was hoping to get new lights.

Le sigh...
Old 12-09-07, 01:21 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Aha! I just found http://www.genuinelexusparts.net

They have the headlight assembly for about $282 but says it fits 92-96. I know it will still fit, but do you guys think it will have the updated projector?
Old 12-09-07, 01:23 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...ey=&userPage=3

Click on this link, you will see each for about $40 a piece.
Old 12-09-07, 01:34 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Those are used though.

I forgot to mention that I also plan on doing an actual HID upgrade for whichever housings I buy. I don't want to play with the projectors, just get brighter lights.
Old 12-09-07, 05:41 PM
comoSC
Pole Position

I usually get my OEM parts through Lexus of Pembroke Pines. Do a search on google "Lexus of Pembroke Pines parts" to get to their parts page. They have the headlights for $244.39 each.
Old 12-09-07, 08:35 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

whatever you do, don't buy jdm headlights unless you plan on swapping the projectors... the beam pattern in jdm headlights will be reversed and you'll be blinding oncoming traffic...