SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

gauge cluster works only sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 09:56 PM
redhanded7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge cluster works only sometimes?

i just picked up a sc300 last week and im almost done with fixing all the bugs. the only thing that i havent been able to figure out was the gauge cluster problem. the needles, gauges and backlighting all work, and i know that for a fact because it will turn on once in awhile. but for about 90% of the time, the cluster does not light up and the only functions that work are gear selection, water temp and fuel gauge.

when the cluster decides it wants to work, the backlighting turns on and the speedometer and tach works. then after i hit a few bumps it turns off.

ive taken out the cluster and disassembled it check for anything loose. the harness's also seem to be in good condition. all fuses are intact and everything else works on the car.

im gonna try and swap in another cluster when i find one, but for the time being i was wondering if you guys would have any advice or comments. ive tried searching and couldnt come up with anything related to my problem. thank you very much
Old 12-09-07, 10:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You want us to guess at the year, or should I assume it is the 93 in your profile?
Old 12-10-07, 04:06 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i would say, give the dash a swift smack on top of the cluster, sometimes bulbs can be loose, i was having this problem after i did the tach fix after my 1jz swap, smacked the dash once and havent had any problems since.
Old 12-10-07, 07:27 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gauge cluster has an almost similar problem.

It's only the speedometer thats works sometimes. But my situation is dealing with heat. When the inside temperature gets too hot it stops working but is still lit up.

I also noticed that when its not working the power steering starts to feels extra loose.
Old 12-10-07, 10:02 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

There are only two things that can help you.

(1)- replace the cluster

(2)- check the screws on the clusters motor

lighting and "not working at all" are two different creatures. Lighting is 99% failure of the led or bulb. not working is part of the on board controller which is either total failure of the component or a loose screw that makes the connection on the motor.

Without knowing what they are made of inside, most people can't make the distinguishment.
Old 12-10-07, 04:32 PM
redhanded7
Driver

im sorry, i forgot to mention the year. it is a 93 sc300. im gonna take the cluster out and double check for any loose connections, although im pretty sure everything is tight.

its getting to be pretty annoying because it will work for a few seconds every once in awhile. and then turn off once i hit a bump or something. i always have my ac on, so the temps are pretty cool in the car at any given point.

any other suggestions is very welcomed. thanks again!
Old 12-10-07, 04:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by redhanded7
pretty sure everything is tight.

turn off once i hit a bump or something.
re-read what you just wrote and think about it for as long as needed.
Old 12-10-07, 10:26 PM
redhanded7
Driver

yes i know what i wrote, and as dumb as it may seem, i cant find the loose connection anywhere. im a decent mechanic as i have built several drift cars and done multiple 1j/2j swaps, but this one has me stumped.

ive taken the cluster apart over 4 times double checking everything in it and looking for anything loose. couldnt find nothing. ive checked the dash harness for any fray lines or loose conncections, still nothing.

since im fairly new to sc's, the reason i posted this was because i thought this may have been a common problem or maybe someone had a quick fix to it.

like olt said, i will keep searching for anything loose, until i am able to swap out my cluster with another one. thank again for the help, i appreciate it.