SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Have any of you replaced the timing belt on an SC400 yourself? If so,...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 02:13 AM
Purplexed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have any of you replaced the timing belt on an SC400 yourself? If so,...

What SPECIAL tools would I need,
How complex/tricky is it, I am pretty handy with tools, but I dont want to get in over my head.
How long to do the job , start to finish ?
Any of you start the process then change your mind and send it to the dealer.
Just looking for pitfalls. I realize it would be the best time to replace the water pump, cam seals also, anything tricky here?

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-25-02, 05:23 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Have any of you replaced the timing belt on an SC400 yourself? If so,...

I didn't do it myself but had a Toyota mechanic work on it as a side job. I got to stand there and watch everything

You need to get a pulley holder, the one show in the manual look good to me. The guy that did my timiming belt used a universal tool, a long stick with chain on one end to cover the pulley and hold it in place so he can loosen the center nut. That tool will leave mark on the pulley groove.

Other than that I don't see anything else that I didn't have at home except the car lift

The manual pretty much show exactly what to do. If I have to do it alone, it will take me at least a day because I'll bag and label every nuts, bolts that I take out so I can remember what & where to put back. Plus I'll use the torque wrench to tight everything back to specification.
You pretty much take out everything at the front of the engine. new caps & rotors, wires and plugs is a good time too because you have take those out also. Two gallons of antifreeze, plenty of dexron to refill the fan and power steering fluid.

You will need to take the oil filter off to have room to take out parts, if the LS is exactly like the SC engine.

Remember to get everything before hand. Water pump, TWO I repeat two idlers for the timing belt, cam seals, spark plugs, wires, caps, rotors and of course the timing belt
A lot of beer if you like, something to ease your back from time to time
Read the manual carefully before you attack this job. The manual will read which parts to take out first and which follow. Its will make life alot easier if you follow it.

The job took 3 guys and 4 hours when they did mine SC400. One guy did most of the work, the other just help out so they can get out faster. The dealer garage has to be close down after 9pm
Good Luck

Originally posted by Purplexed
What SPECIAL tools would I need,
How complex/tricky is it, I am pretty handy with tools, but I dont want to get in over my head.
How long to do the job , start to finish ?
Any of you start the process then change your mind and send it to the dealer.
Just looking for pitfalls. I realize it would be the best time to replace the water pump, cam seals also, anything tricky here?

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by VQT; 01-25-02 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-25-02, 05:53 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can actually inspect the timing belt condition by taking the caps & rotors cover off. If its still in good condition you can wait a little longer untill you get all the tools and confident
If you have been playing around with tools, and have a spare car just in case you don't finish on one weekend. I'll say do it why pay someone else to do the job. No one is as careful as the owner when working on the car.

I change the belt at 110K miles (bought the car at 104K), my timing belt was in good condition and I know the last owner didn't change it. there was no sticker on the engine bay indicated that the belt was change.