SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Veilside body kit VS others

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 06:10 AM
VeilsideSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Veilside body kit VS others

I am in a progress of installing Veilside body kit on my 93-SC400. I will have it done in three weeks. What do you guys think of Veilside kit on SC400 versus other body kits?. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Can you guys also give me suggestions on which rims look the best on an SC?. I picked out a few manufacturers already, but love to hear your comments. My choices are 19-10 rear 19-9 front OR 18-10 rear 18-9 front, what sizes are suitable?.
Thanks in advance all,
Leroy,

Last edited by VeilsideSC400; 01-25-02 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-25-02, 08:08 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with 18.9 or 18.10s in the back ifyou're looking for getting some performance tires for a decent price.

As for bodykits, the Veilside kits were made specifically for the Supra and the Skyline; and IMO thats the only cars they really look good on.

I prefer the Do-luck kit myself, there isn't a kit on the planet that combines, style and class like that one does
Old 01-25-02, 08:31 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I have no comment on your choice of kit or wheather to install a kit or not. I started a thread a while ago regarding many body shop owner's input to me both con and pro of doing a body kit. So there are really two side to the kit coin...

Do a kit or not....

if the answer that you come up with is do a kit then....

Which kit? And that is where you are heading although it seems you are much aligned with the veilside kit by your handle.

So I would personally keep away from the kit discussion other than I would ask it another way....

"If you had a veilside kit installed, please give the the name and number of the bodyshop who did the install so I can contact them"

Reason being the feedback from customizers here imply that .....

'there are good kits out there and there is junk. The junk requires much labor to get it to fit well and align up. If you are going to put a kit on a Lexus, then it deserves a good kit'

In the world of wheels and tires, there are a few concepts that are common. You can apply the rule (I think it is called the D+1 rule).
You can very safely D+1 and even D+2 a wheel size where D is the original OEM Diameter (ie: 16) so that D+1 would be 17 and D+2 would be 18.

When you get to D+3 then you can run into some issues involving wheel well rubbing and jamming, and ride harshness and even wheel damage probabilities. D+3, if it can work, is something that should be viewed with caution on a lowered or non-lowered daily use car. On a show car it would be an almost non-issue as it is not going to be used on the street much.

When D+1 and D+2 are used, then the real diameter OD does not change but the wheel gets larger and the sidewall becomes smaller or thinner, and typically the tire gets wider. When you get to D+3 the sidewall is so small that rim damage is very real possibilty on a daily driver (A Pothole at speed can colapse a thin sidewall and dent the wheel or crack it or even worse do suspension damage). Also the D+3 ride is harsher and there is very little sidewall flex (there is just not so much sidewall to flex!).

Now that said, I would think that the 19 inch wheel, being in the D+3 area would not be the best overall practical choice for a daily driving car. Perhaps you would be better off with 18" wheels. If you are building a showcar or want to fit 19" wheels for a specific show then you are OK. Others may have input on this to the contrary but please talk to some knowledgable tire guys before you put your cash on the line.
Old 01-25-02, 11:11 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Red and Bean, anything larger than 17-18" is generally not for performance, but more for looks, plus depending on how the roads are by you, I wouldn't go 19's or dubs. Again I agree with Bean, the Do Luck kit is the nicest, along with Auto Couture and Wise, but I like the Veilside, just a bit too radical for an SC for my tastes, but if it pleases you brother, then that's all there is to it.
Old 01-25-02, 11:13 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Leroy! Whoooo is the master?? I said WHOOO is the master?? SHO-NUFF!!
Old 01-25-02, 07:03 PM
VeilsideSC400
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all your input:

Bean: I checked out other body kits and finally decided to purchase Veilside. I think Veilside Kit on SC400 will break some necks, with great rims of course.

Red93sc400: I do not find many or any SC owners with Veilside Kit. Seems like I am among the odd ones, that's why I wanted to know what everyone thinks of Veilside kit, I personally love it. Once I have completed the paint job and the kit installed I will let you know the outcome and post some pictures on here. At that time I will provide you the bodyshop information.
As far as the rim styles and sizes are concerned, I am most likely will use my SC for the weekend only, I have another car for winter and daily commute. Therefore looks will determine my final choice of rim style and size.

Lex Luthor: Radical body kit is the main purpose of suiting up a car, isn't it?. As long as it's not ghetto (you know what I mean right?) then I am okay with it. I spent about six months shopping and searching for a body kit, then finally I went with Veilside. Radical as it might be, but yet unique, sophisticated.
"Leroy! Whoooo is the master?? I said WHOOO is the master?? SHO-NUFF!!" I think you are the master. SHO-NUFF!! please elaborate

Lastly, any suggestion on which companies make the best rims for SC400?..

Thanks,
Leroy,
Old 01-25-02, 07:07 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Yes, I must agree... The Do-Luck Kit does look very nice! Hehe
Old 01-25-02, 07:16 PM
VeilsideSC400
Driver School Candidate

do-luck sc:
It was a coin toss between do-luck VS Veilside. You know who the winner was right?. hehehe.
What do you have for rims?. Just curious as I am shopping for 18" or 19" rim soon.
Thanks,
Leroy,
Old 01-25-02, 07:28 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

I have Racing Hart C5's , 18's. 18's look good on the car stock, but as soon as i got the body kit, it seemed like the rims shrank. I want 19's now, but I'm worried about the ride and tires. Plus, California roads aren't too nice. Be careful with 19's, you will bend your rims easily.
Old 01-27-02, 06:27 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Leroy, did you notice the 20% discount on Veilside for 10 days? Let me revise my previous opinion, for 20% off, the Veilside kit is verrry nice, and you're right, it should break necks, go for it. The quote is from the movie 'The Last Dragon' a cheesie karate movie from the early 80's, you've probably seen it. Oh, and talk to Brian, he's VeilsideRSP, he's got the Veilside kit, i'm sure he'll post some pics if you ask. do-luck, the RH C5 looks great on the SC, how bout some pics?
Old 01-27-02, 07:15 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, C5's look nice on SC's. I see an SC parked in a lot everyday on my way to work. It has 18 or 19" C5's. Nice.

And about 19's. My friend has 19" Wald Duchalet's (sp) on his LS and he's bent them AT LEAST TWICE!!! So much for having your rims specially shipped from Japan!
Old 01-28-02, 10:10 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey howie, where do you see it parked? location?

Lex, I jus started school, but by this friday, i'll have time to wash my car and take pics on the digital camera. It's raining in So cali this week, so I would like to have a clear day!
Old 01-28-02, 03:22 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

K
Old 01-29-02, 07:49 AM
VeilsideSC400
Driver School Candidate

Lux Luthor,
Yes I did notice the 20% discount from Veilside. I already purchased my body. The only thing I need is rims for my car. I looked at their selections and did not find the style I like. Still looking elsewhere.

do-luck sc,
Can you post some pictures of your car?. I would like to see the rims.
Thanks,
Old 01-29-02, 02:00 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

http://www.teamkoncept.com/nopi/imag...ous_pix_of_sc/

veilside kit wit 18's (or 19s cant remember)

that car is dope as hell........

Quick Reply: Veilside body kit VS others