SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trunk Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 06:26 AM
abefromansausag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Problem

I have a '92 SC300. When I open my trunk, it doesn't stay open, it just falls. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks
Old 01-25-02, 06:41 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's proab. the pistons that hold the trunk hinge in the open postion. If you pull back the trunk liner closest to the front end (I just comes right out) you'll see the pistons. If you're good you can change them yourself. BTW that's just a guess as to what's wrong, but I know the pistons are there.
Old 01-25-02, 01:12 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

friend of mine had that problem
but that was just cause his wing was too heavy for the whatchamecallits
Old 01-25-02, 02:24 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The problem I would imagine is both of your trunk struts are bad. You'll have to remove the cover over the gas tank and then you can get to them. Any parts store has the replacements, but I would get the exact lexus (Toyota) part. Shouldn't be to expensive.

Shane
Old 01-25-02, 07:57 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is most like your gas struts that hold up the trunk lid, as mentioned by all the above.

However, there is another thread here saying that, if you ADD a spoiler later on to a car that did not have the spoiler originally, you would have to upgrade the gas struts also (to hold up the extra weight).
Old 01-26-02, 07:18 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post new struts work

I added two new struts from autozone to my car and the trunk dang near pops right up when released. Even added a ton of sound deadining to the trunk lid - filled with foam and dyanmat.

Buy one strut, mine were sold individually for about 20 bucks or so, and see if that helps. They are easy to replace, unbolt from trunk, then pop off from ball joint on back. To install, pop back on and then bolt.
Old 01-26-02, 12:18 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone has them for like $15-$20 bucks each. Just ask for a 98' model with a spoiler. I have the newer model spoiler and they were not strong enough to hold my trunk up.
Old 01-29-02, 08:45 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I can't find those supports ANYwhere! (except at a dealer)

I have been looking for MONTHS for 2 lift supports for my 1992 SC400 (with spoiler):

My Lexus dealer will be glad to sell them to me for $80 plus each, but I'm trying to get them from a more reasonably-priced source.
From my web site research, I know they have the following part numbers (these are for SC's WITH spoilers):
StrongArm part # 4508
SteadyLift part # E072-771
MightyLift part # E95270

It turns out that all 3 brands are manufactured by the same firm, AVM Inc., of Marion, SC (and owned by ArvinMeritor, of Troy, Michigan). They have an email address of "strongarm@arvin.com", and a web page (http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...arket/app1.asp) where you can look up part #s, but they have yet to respond to my email of Friday, Jan 25th (SEE UPDATE BELOW- THEY DID EVENTUALLY RESPOND).

I have gone to many web sites and many Auto Parts Stores here in Los Angeles, such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, Parts America, always with the same results- they are able to see the part listed on their computers, but it is not in inventory. When they try to order it for me, the computer returns a "none available- cannot order" response.

From the other responses on this thread, I know this part exists, but darned if I can find a retailer that could actually sell me a couple! This part # is not shared by any other car, Lexus or otherwise, and I am thinking that since the demand is therefore very low, not many are made or stocked, if any at all.

Not much anyone can do about this- I'm just venting. But if anyone knows of a web site that actually sells this part, I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-31-02 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-29-02, 09:30 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Had the same problem. Saying that all the warehouses did not store them or only had one and it would take a long time just to get the one. Get it from Parts America. It may take up to a week but, order it from there website and they probably will ship it from there main warehouse or other warehouses nationallly. That is where I got mine. As for the popping open of the trunk. Enjoy it while you can but after awhile. The struts on mine stopped doing that. They work but, they don't automatically open the trunk anymore unless, I pull it up a notch then it will go up by itself.
Old 01-29-02, 09:38 PM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

You can order it directly through www.kragen.com
I just ordered the two Strong Arm lifts from them yesterday.
Hope this helps...
Old 01-29-02, 09:58 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nope- as usual, Kragen.com returns the same "unavailable" message.

You guys must think I am kidding or something. I just went to Kragen.com, and here is their reply, same as always:

"We could not get availability information for your part(s).
Please try again later or call customer service at (877)808-0698 for assistance."

Incidentally, Kragen's web site is actually managed by PartsAmerica.com. But I'm glad to hear you got yours. Maybe yours is part #4500 (without spoiler). But the one I need, #4508 is MIA.
Old 01-29-02, 11:06 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

aint that some *****
Old 01-30-02, 12:42 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Mine is the SC 400 with spoiler. Why don't you try calling customer service? Try Rockauto.com also.
Old 01-30-02, 04:17 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: new struts work

Could you please tell me(us?) what part # u got and r they just the AutoZone brand?

Originally posted by 933005spd
I added two new struts from autozone to my car and the trunk dang near pops right up when released. Even added a ton of sound deadining to the trunk lid - filled with foam and dyanmat.
Old 01-30-02, 12:58 PM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

PERRYinLA, sorry to hear that. I did indeed ordered the trunk lifts w/o spoiler without any problem.
Maybe you can take off the spoiler... j/k

Quick Reply: Trunk Problem