SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

More SC carnage

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 02:26 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More SC carnage

Happened 2 weeks ago. Someone hit it while i was inside the house. Didn't hear a thing until my neighbor called me around 5am saying someone smashed into it. That night it was FREEZING and the road was like a skating rink. i wish SOMEONE would have told me as soon as it happened. maybe i would have found the guy who did it! All i have is this from the other car:
Looks like a foglight cover. From a nissan...hmmm I haven't found the culprit, but that car has GOT to be fubar'd from the damage it dealt to the SC...and the SC's panels are SOLID! If you look at the other side, and look back on the smashed side, you can tell they hit it HARD.

Insurance wise, i only have strictly liability, and all avenues of negotiation have been discussed. Looks like im going to have to pay out of pocket for this one. Going to a few body shops tomorrow to get it quoted. Also, why would the paint flake off like so:

Old 12-17-07, 02:39 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a blow. Hopefully it's something that can be repaired and didn't mess anything up too much.
Old 12-17-07, 02:44 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Not to make you feel any worse, but you're probably looking at a whole QP replacement on that which would be upwards of $2500-$3000. I had a similar dent which didn't run as far down and was from when my dad backed into me in the driveway. The "good bodyshops" (ones lexus uses) wanted $2500 for the QP replacement (cut and reweld a new one in). But I finally found a guy who repaired mine for $700 with some bondo. I'm not sure somebody could go at yours with just some bondo though.
Old 12-17-07, 02:57 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal-

Also, why would the paint flake off like so:

The paint flaking off like that because it looks like someone did body work on the car. You can see the sanding marks as well as the bondo.
Old 12-17-07, 03:06 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow..that really sucks. im sorry. i know i would be super pissed to find out if that happened to mine
Old 12-17-07, 03:11 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Not to make you feel any worse, but you're probably looking at a whole QP replacement on that which would be upwards of $2500-$3000. I had a similar dent which didn't run as far down and was from when my dad backed into me in the driveway. The "good bodyshops" (ones lexus uses) wanted $2500 for the QP replacement (cut and reweld a new one in). But I finally found a guy who repaired mine for $700 with some bondo. I'm not sure somebody could go at yours with just some bondo though.
Thats really expensive, Can't say i didnt expect that kind of price. Maybe if i ask nice enough, a body shop can "hook a brotha up"

Originally Posted by chanh55
The paint flaking off like that because it looks like someone did body work on the car. You can see the sanding marks as well as the bondo.
I have a feeling that more of the car was worked on, (as luck would have it) my door was clipped a few days prior to this, and the paint flaked off, showing bare metal in the same fashion:

I have some very expensive repairs to do. I don't want to have just another junky lex. Sucks being the broke college student.
Old 12-17-07, 03:22 PM
surferlife
Driver

Omg dude that sucks. im so sorry. is there any other color that has been traded with your paint?
Old 12-17-07, 03:27 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone take a guess as to what car that thing came off of?
Old 12-17-07, 03:31 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Man, you know you should be having full coverage insurance when you are driving a LEXUS. These car's aren't cheap!
Old 12-17-07, 03:43 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Wow, it appears that the whole drivers side of your car was repaired in the past. Bondo shouldn't be used that liberally to the point that it cracks and flakes off like that. If you have time, it might be wise to find a used door panel, and find a junkyard to find an SC with an undamaged quarter panel to replace yours with. Then find a good bodyshop that will install and do the painting as that will probably save you more money than having the qp and door replaced with new sheetmetal.
Old 12-17-07, 04:03 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Your whole situation really sucks. Also looks like your car is caked with body filler. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 12-17-07, 05:14 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by surferlife
Omg dude that sucks. im so sorry. is there any other color that has been traded with your paint?
I dont see any other colors on the paint.

Originally Posted by Luxor
Man, you know you should be having full coverage insurance when you are driving a LEXUS. These car's aren't cheap!
Tell me about it

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Wow, it appears that the whole drivers side of your car was repaired in the past. Bondo shouldn't be used that liberally to the point that it cracks and flakes off like that. If you have time, it might be wise to find a used door panel, and find a junkyard to find an SC with an undamaged quarter panel to replace yours with. Then find a good bodyshop that will install and do the painting as that will probably save you more money than having the qp and door replaced with new sheetmetal.
Thanks for the advice, i'll look around. SC's are pretty hard to find in the 'yards around here, but that definitely sounds cheaper than a brand new panel.

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
Your whole situation really sucks. Also looks like your car is caked with body filler. Good luck getting it fixed.
Yea, makes me wonder about the actual condition of the car. Eventually a full repaint would be in order. The paint has other imperfections on other parts of the body as well.
Old 12-17-07, 05:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sorry man, that sux that someone left you to deal with that.
I would cruise around and look for the car before they get it fixed
because its likely they dont live to far away

is the "fog light cover" is from a nissan? or are you just guessing??
Im trying to think of what car that would be on but im not getting it

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-17-07 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 05:41 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I had a few paint chips from my dent on that same spot, but not as bad. You need to watch out though because the exposed metal will rust pretty fast from my experience. I put a little touchup paint over my spots til I got it fixed, but looks like you may need a little more than that if you were concerned about keeping it from rusting.
Old 12-17-07, 06:36 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sorry man, that sux that someone left you to deal with that.
I would cruise around and look for the car before they get it fixed
because its likely they dont live to far away

is the "fog light cover" is from a nissan? or are you just guessing??
Im trying to think of what car that would be on but im not getting it
It saids on the back of the part. It may be too late to cruise again, but that kind of damage...you cant really get it fixed too quickly. It really does suck though. It really hurt seeing the SC in this condition.

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
I had a few paint chips from my dent on that same spot, but not as bad. You need to watch out though because the exposed metal will rust pretty fast from my experience. I put a little touchup paint over my spots til I got it fixed, but looks like you may need a little more than that if you were concerned about keeping it from rusting.
Yea, it already has a fair amount of surface rust on it right now. If anything I got the appropriate temp. materials (got them when my door was hit) to minimize it until i can get it fixed permanently.

If/when i do decide to do the self-body work, ill post on this thread to request any advice on the steps req. to get a good prime on the panel.

Thanks

Quick Reply: More SC carnage