DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by London Bill
The Soarer is a beautiful car but needs the extra speed:

Custom 3" exhaust, stainless, straight through, no cats £558
Home built turbo boost controller £80
Apexi pod filter £125

The result is 0-60 under 6secs, about 330BHP @ flywheel, just enough not to get too embarassed.

Geezzz, how big are these rims and how much did you lower the car?
Old 01-27-02, 12:07 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bill, I love you car!!! Clean yet powerful!!! It is truly Sweeeeeeet.......
Old 01-27-02, 12:33 AM
DIrEctQL

I think, all and all, Lexus made lots of mistakes with the SCs. First off, they didn't offer the 2.5 6 cylinder engine in US. Then the breaks are totally mismatched (or too small) with the SC. Third, SC came with the funkiest rims. 16" are too small and 17" are ugly and still small. Interior colors in the car don't look too interesting. Initial colors of the interior were tan and grey which don't generally look good and especally don't match the exterior color of the car. I could go on. The platform could be much improved. I see all these things as problems with the car. I plan on fixing these problems before I will go the turbo way. Why spend the money? Because I can and the car is there.

Has anyone seen Clint's new '97 SC300? It's pretty much stock (looks wise) except for the rims and the car has been lowered. That is what I was planning on doing from the begining.

If you think that SC300 is not a sports car and never will be then you must be thinking about the Firebird, Camaro, etc etc.

Anyone who goes the turbo way ends up doing way more than just stage 1.5. Doing single turbo on the SC300, Supra TT, N/A Supra costs about the same amount of money. Think about it.
Old 01-27-02, 12:34 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I think, all and all, Lexus made lots of mistakes with the SCs. First off, they didn't offer the 2.5 6 cylinder engine in US. Then the breaks are totally mismatched (or too small) with the SC. Third, SC came with the funkiest rims. 16" are too small and 17" are ugly and still small. Interior colors in the car don't look too interesting. Initial colors of the interior were tan and grey which don't generally look good and especally don't match the exterior color of the car. I could go on. The platform could be much improved. I see all these things as problems with the car. I plan on fixing these problems before I will go the turbo way. Why spend the money? Because I can and the car is there.

Has anyone seen Clint's new '97 SC300? It's pretty much stock (looks wise) except for the rims and the car has been lowered. That is what I was planning on doing from the begining.

If you think that SC300 is not a sports car and never will be then you must be thinking about the Firebird, Camaro, etc etc.

Anyone who goes the turbo way ends up doing way more than just stage 1.5. Doing single turbo on the SC300, Supra TT, N/A Supra costs about the same amount of money. Think about it.
Sorry for spelling, I am extra lazy right now mostly because it's 3:00 am and it's time for lulu.
Old 01-27-02, 05:01 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Guys, that photo had been "doctored" to include the Work, Roar 18" rims (nicked from Rob Haydens V8, http://www.lexus.australia.as/ ) but I think the scale would show them as 20" rims.

The photo was taken some time back when my car first arrived from Japan, it was lowered about 3" front and 4" rear, in fact it was sitting on the bump stops and the ride was disgusting.

Now it rides approx -1.5" front, -2.5" rear and it has regained some ground clearance, originally the chassis rails would ground on undulating roads, thats not much fun at speed.
Old 01-27-02, 05:28 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

this is interesting debate......i agree that bang for the buck there are better cars out there...im not gonna get into how much i have spent on my car...but i can tell you i have spanked some supra.....300zx....porsche.....and corvette butt....and the reality is that my car is more reliable than any of those....even with 125k on my car.....and the looks i get after spanking up on other cars is worth the money i spent.....i love this car because i have EVERYTHING in one package...
speed
style
beauty
sound and visual system
class
reliability
and yes even handling
for those who are saying the sc300 dosent handle....remember its chasis is almots identical to the supra....a llittle longer and heavier ......but for a almost 4000lb car mine handles amazing...i have hung with and run down many of hondas and other cars through the twisties.......and if i can get them in the corners im definitly eating em up on the straight aways...everyone has there own opinions......but like bean said...i can land 600hp on pump gas.....get 20+miles to the gallon...idle like a lexus and even when i get on the gas its a very quiet car....so even cops tend not to pay attention to me when im on the gas...or flying by them......to me and in my opinion...its the ultimate car and a hell of a sleeper.......if you dont believe me come to miami and ill take ya for a ride...Jeff
Old 01-27-02, 08:00 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Jeff. I think that should end the debate, hard to argue with having everything you could want in one package. You are, of course, way out of the league of 'bang for your buck' but the point is still made just the same. A Toyomoto stage 1.5 kit WILL get you into the twelves, just ask Scott Hureau, he ran 12.73 with ALOT of room for improvement, he'll be pulling 11's shortly after the weather gets better by him, just wait and see. These cars are the best combination of all the things SC300TURBO listed, if you want bang for your buck, go buy an LS1 Camaro or Firebird, remove the intake silencer, ice the plenum, disconnect the front sway bar, throw on a set of slicks, and run 12.99 Or better yet, find an '87 GN, pop $500 into it, and run well into the twelves, trust me, it's too easy.
Attached Thumbnails Modification your SC-compressed-t-type-welds.jpg  
Old 01-27-02, 08:02 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
this is interesting debate......i agree that bang for the buck there are better cars out there...im not gonna get into how much i have spent on my car...but i can tell you i have spanked some supra.....300zx....porsche.....and corvette butt....Jeff
Still like to know approximately how much time and $ to get the SC300 that fast.
Were the cars that you spanked stock?

People, please don't put down other cars until you have driven them for a while...I like all sport cars. The question is do I want to own them or can I affort to buy it?

VQT
93 White SC400
93 Green SC400
88 Corvette Z52
93 Prelude SI (sold)
85 RX-7 (sold)
84 Supra (sold)
84 300ZX (sold)
80 Z28 (sold)
79 Trans Am (sold)
78 280ZX (sold)
74 Z28 (sold)
72 Triumph Spitfire (sold)

Last edited by VQT; 01-28-02 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-27-02, 09:45 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

none of the cars i race are stock.....i have raced alot of cars with alot of different mods.....to be my car they have had to do major major mods....one of my favorite races was a 300zx with turbo upgrade..intercooler up grade....ect ect...a guy i went to highschool with....
i asked if he wanted to run it....he said he would love to tech me a lesson.....so we went from like a 20 or 30mph roll......and i destroyed him.....after the race he pulls up with a suprised look......and i say...damn..you just taught me how to spank a Z......lol....he laughed and commented on what a sleeper i had... but anyway...
i didnt mean to put any cars down...i dont think i did....but if your looking at bang for the buck...a 93 sc300 can be had for 10-12k...add a 7,500 turbo kit and be in the 12s on pump gas all day.....and have all the luxury of a lexus....
LEX.....is that your GN....?..i love those cars...almost bought a couple..but ended up not going through....love those wheels on it too.......Jeff
Old 01-27-02, 10:02 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Well said, Jeff. I think that should end the debate, hard to argue with having everything you could want in one package. You are, of course, way out of the league of 'bang for your buck' but the point is still made just the same. A Toyomoto stage 1.5 kit WILL get you into the twelves, just ask Scott Hureau, he ran 12.73 with ALOT of room for improvement, he'll be pulling 11's shortly after the weather gets better by him, just wait and see. These cars are the best combination of all the things SC300TURBO listed, if you want bang for your buck, go buy an LS1 Camaro or Firebird, remove the intake silencer, ice the plenum, disconnect the front sway bar, throw on a set of slicks, and run 12.99 Or better yet, find an '87 GN, pop $500 into it, and run well into the twelves, trust me, it's too easy.
Heheheh. I love GNs too. It's great how they raise the front tires when they start accelerating sometimes. I think it's also pretty funny, because you never know how fast the GN is. They all look pretty much the same. Great engine. My neighboor is restoring a GN. It's looking really good. I also like the Typhoons. Don't you wish GM would bring back these cars?
Old 01-27-02, 11:58 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but a C5 with $3k in mods (negating NOS) won't run any better than 12.80s

My Lexus with $10k in mods would run DEEP 11s my friend.

Wanna know how?

$3.5K for base turbo kit
$1.5K for AEM standalone
$1k for fuel system upgrades including ZTT fuel pump
$350 used LSD
$1500 6-speed transmission and flywheel
$550 good clutch
$150 driveshaft
$600 NOS wet kit
$50 alcohol injection setup
$200 for a set of 17x9.5 SupraTT rims for drag radials when I go to the strip

Installed all by myself except for the head gasket and custom driveshaft creation

running 23psi on pump gas with the alcohol injection and a 70shot on top... on a T60-1 turbo

It will WASTE ANY 300zx on the road; I know for a fact; getting a Z to run a 11s is like almost impossible. Nice car but they respond to mods for ****

I had a Stage IV Z... it was nice... but it would get its *** handed to it by this car... Stage IV Zs run low 13s... big whoop... BPU supras can run 11s and BPU RX-7s can run 11s...

This lexus will have the mph to run LOW 11s or high 10s

I'd like to see the C5 Vette running even close to this for $3k in mods. Even a Z06. BPU Supras lay waste to Z06s; I've seen it done 3 or 4 times in person.

Take a look at SC300T's car... running 12.73s @116 with a bolton kit and open-diff... with a limited slip and a better launch he can run low 12s or high 11s with that kind of trap speed range

He proves that a Stage 1.5 will put you even with a VIPER... Thats just a Stage 1.5; his setup has so much potential its ridiculous... he was only running 12psi on that run... imagine running 23psi with a 70 shot on top and a drivetrain to backup a LSD and drag radials? Why do you think I'm selling my 300zx? Because I know the Lex has far more potential in it in what I want to do. will it handle as well? No it won't; but it will handle pretty fricken awsome; and it will sure as hell out accelerate it; have better gas mileage; and be more of a sleeper; which is more fun to me in the street racing scene.

I don't see why its so hard for you people to believe how fast a Turbo SC300 is. go ride in Jeff's car; then realize he's spend A LOT of money on it; then go ride in Scott's car and see what a Stage 1.5 can do. THEY ARE FAST...

I just don't think most of you know what fast is; you read about it in magazines and you're friends talk about it; but have you ever ridden in a fast car or been streetracing to see what FAST really is? The same thing occurs with a lot of domestic owners; some are scared of BPU Supras because they know what they can do (lay waste to most domestics)... but some are doubters because they've never seen it... they think they are fast in their 13sec LS1s... until they run a turbo import and they have newfound broadened horizons. I just don't get it with some of you. turbo cars for the most part (especially those made for it like the SC300) are VERY VERY fast... Stop magazine reading and bench racing and go out and race guys (this isn't directed to anyone in particular; its just a group vibe I'm getting from doubters). Go ride in Scott's car and see for yourself. Or at least a BPU SupraTT of some sort to see the potential and understand that the SC300 with a Stage 1.5 kit is FASTER than that.

Take the Sy/Tys and GNs... they are rare; but when they are out and the owner knows what he's doing; he pretty much dominates all the other domestic owner friends of his.

Last edited by Bean; 01-27-02 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-27-02, 12:16 PM
SCV8
Instructor

As far as my personal taste goes,having only owned cars that were made to handle very well,from an early age,I wound up with a Fiero with a 4cam 3.4,250hp motor(low 14s in the quarter mi) that will out handle anything else I've experienced in twenty years of driving.Then I get the SC for a daily driver,add stock Supra TT suspension($120,used),a piggyback ECU($860),and a set of large wheels/tires($850,new);now the SC has nearly made the roadrace Fiero obsolete,something I never thought would happen.
The build quality of any Toyota is better than the quality of the best American car,as a result,the SC is still smooth and quiet compared to the other car,with little chassis flex,no squeeks or rattles,better quality window glass,rubber,hinges,latches,coatings...
These things make difference on a daily driven car versus a race car.
Old 01-27-02, 01:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Bean, I street raced for years, paid alot of my room and board thru college doing it. Me and a few other guys were driving around in the late 80's-mid 90's in 'fuel-infected' cars that guys thought were running 14's, while we were actually 3 seconds faster than that, sometimes better. When you saw all that Dateline NBC coverage about the serious street racing scene in NYC, that was us. We were blocking off the South Conduit with a bread truck and staging big money runs, until Giuliani cracked down and wrote new law, and cars were getting seized, guys were getting arresting, undercovers were showing up in worked Vettes and notchbacks. I successfully campaigned a couple of small block/ stroker motor cars with hidden juice systems and motors I designed, built, and installed, and these were my everyday drivers. Yes, Jeff, the GN is mine, I gutted that car and put in a new motor, trans, harness, computer, etc. The rims are Welds. I also had an '83 T-Type Turbo, both of them used to rip the front off the ground on a 275-50D-15 Hoosier Quick Time. So, to speak from experience, Jeff and Bean are definitely in the right.
In the early 90's I had a friend Roy who had a 10sec street driveable 3.8litre DFI GN, and another friend JJ who had a GN with a 4.1 Buick block stroked to 4.5litres, DFI, and a T60 turbo, which was considered a ferris wheel back then. That car was still 'street driveable' and ran 9's, I made lots of money betting on that car when I couldn't run because I had blown up another rear.
That car looked like a 13-sec car, and all the cubic inch guys used to love to f#ck with it. Boost is the ultimate sleeper, you're not gonna get a worked C5 to pop a worked turbo 2JZ car without much much more cashish.
Attached Thumbnails Modification your SC-compressed-83-t-type-li-dragway.jpg  
Old 01-27-02, 01:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet

You had a intercooler-less t-type huh? an 83? I always thought T-type meant turbo; but I wasn't aware it was available as early as 83.

I've got a friend in town with a GNX... those ***** are BADASS. its a sleeper from hell; ladder bars stock, etc...

he's pushing some 26psi on pump gas and launching perfect on the street with 18psi off the line

I love it; black on black on black with black tint; and its quiet and has a black front mount IC hehehe
Lots and I mean LOTS of people have been taken by that car.

Most of the REALLY fast domestics that are around here don't streetrace at all; they always go to the track so the imports think they are the fastest in town; which is half true since the faster cars are out of town on the weekends

SCV8 did you ever drive any Jap cars that were built to handle? A stock 3rd gen RX-7 is probably the best handling car money can buy for under $300k... I used to think that Z06s beat them; but they don't... even on the Corvette auto-x courses; 3rd gens dominate. With coilovers and set up suspension; a 3rd gen is a demon on the track... SCC and all the other import magazines recently did a track test where each magazine could bring two cars to compete... some VW mag brought a full race bug and Turbo magazine brought an 800hp full race supraTT
SCC brought a RX-7 with a suspension setup; and an upgraded intake and intercooler; otherwise stock; and dominated... and I'm talking by about 8 seconds of time between it and #2 which was the 800hp Supra.

the rx-7 was prolly making about 270hp
Old 01-27-02, 05:34 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Bean, '83 was the first year for the T-Type, rare car, but that was not the original drivetrain in the car, same thing on the black one. Again, you're right, an FD3S is a handling monster, too bad those motors are a bit finnicky, otherwise a great car though. Didn't one of the Supra's from that test belong to Nils Leufven from TO4R.com? We can ask Clint next time he's here, he's a member of TO4R.com

Quick Reply: Modification your SC