SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Modification your SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 08:49 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
So you're saying a Viper is because it's a two seater and Toyota Supra TT isn't because it has 2 + 2 seats? Please! I doubt you guys get it right. So a car that (when done right) handles better than a Viper, faster than viper, and lighter than Viper is not a sports car. Okay, sure! I belive you.. not! SC is a luxuary sports car that's very much mellowed in US. It's true colors won't come out untill you turbo and upgrade the suspension. SCs stock have to be most ghetto lexus cars IMHO. Why? Because Lexus never tried to sell the car right. 16" rims? 17" ugly rims? What's up with that. Change the rims and the car starts to look real good. The car is begging for tuning and modding.
That's just MO on the definition of a sport car, two doors two seater.

AND still MO, I maybe wrong, sport coupe is two doors with 4 seats.

I didn't say anything bad about the performance of those cars. I like all cars remember

ALSO, when I walk through a parking lot, I would pass by a stock or mod. Supra without stopping ( I may have a glance at it). But if I see a Viper, a XK8, a Z8, a NSX, a Aston Martin, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, ... I would stop, walk around, drool a little. I am a material boy, what can I say
Old 01-28-02, 08:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stage IV Zs DON'T run any better than low 13s... the numbers won't allow it, I'm sorry thats just the way it is

a helluva mechanic? Jeez you people are scared of a little work? The most involving work is doing the headgasket... the rest is unbolting bolts and bolting others back in... and the AEM computer is a plug and play... The work isn't hard at all. What's hard about pulling an exhaust manifold? or running some piping? or pulling a fuel rail? Give me a break. I won't quote labor unless I need it. And you'll notice my numbers when added up were FAR below $10k. Maybe I'm just used to my Z where I had to pull the engine for EVERYTHING.
If you need someone else to do your ****, it best be because you don't have the tools or the time to do it.

and there's no hookup on those prices either

the turbo kits are much cheaper when you ditch the AIC and stuff that goes with it and source your own turbo.

there is a Z that's running 7.60s... but its also being done by a group that has much experience with running pro import chassis cars...
put PHR's car in a pro import chassis; and I guarentee you it would RUN away with the fastest import times in the world; I guarentee it.

You can count the number of Z32s in the 10s on one hand... I don't have enough hands to count the number of Supras and RX-7s in the 10s... thats the way of things... if you're wanting to streetrace, a 300zx is NOT a platform to do it on. They respond to mods like **** and can't grip worth a damn.

Stage IV Zs make 330rwhp. big whoop. For that amount of money a SupraTT is making 400rwhp with the cams and MAF holding it back; it can get to 450rwhp on the stock turbos on pump gas... i've seen it happen...
there's no Z on the planet that has a prayer to do this...
for a stage IV Z's money; I could have a RX-7 making 290rwhp and weighing 800lbs less.

In fact I'll put money on it. Go get a Stage IV Z and we'll run it against a mild BPU Supra. Just to have the same effect as a bolton turbo kit with not many mods.

I've already seen this happen. Bunch of people from Mississippi were all talkin **** about how this ZTT of theirs was so fast... It had stock turbos and stock injectors; and so I knew it was slow from experience. They wanted to race our friend's BPU Supra on the street. His Supra was only making 350rwhp at the time; not the full 400rwhp that he could have been. Guess what happened? the Supra won by 6 car lengths TWICE... after the second time the guy packed up and went home in shame; as did all the ****talkers from Mississippi.

Again they raced at the track. This guy with the Z can actually drive one; he's getting the correct times out of it and he knows what he's doing. He ran a 13.3 @109mph... pretty good run.
Guess what the BPU Supra ran? 12.4 @ 117mph. Please show me a C5 that's going to run that kind of time with $3k in mods. Isnt gonna happen. Scott's kit is a bolton kit and he's running 116mph traps with a spinning 12.7 time.... that mph will allow 12.2s to 12.4s at 117 or 118mph.

I used to think that Z32TTs were fast in a straightline, but compared to their cousins from Japan; they are not. Its been proven that Toyomoto's bolton kit will run with a BPU Supra. Jeff says it, CompWiz says it, Scott says it, I believe even Lance has said it; and Fmax's peeps say it too. And I've seen the evidence of it in times. So by telling me a Stage IV Z can compete with this bolton it is telling me that they can beat BPU Supras.

So are my prices correct for a semi-mechanically inclined person? No doubt, people here have done it themselves too. Is a BPU Supra way faster than a Stage IV Z? NO DOUBT. Is a BPU RX-7 faster than a Stage IV Z? NO DOUBT. Is a Stage 1.5 SC3 faster than a BPU Supra? NO DOUBT. By logic does this mean that a stage 1.5 SC3 is WAY WAY WAY faster than a Stage IV Z? NO DOUBT!

This is what I am debating; I am not debating a SupraTT or RX-7 being more speed for the money (although the SupraTT is questionable). the Z32 is. its a slow mother that can't even push > 380rwhp on the stock fuel system. Being a turbo car it should be able to. did you know the injector size on one of those is 370ccs? Injectors on my Lex are 330s.
Show me how a C5 can run 12.0s for $3k in mods not including NOS. Last I checked $3k would hardly buy you a set of CNC machined heads. and a decent cam, much less the exhaust system, headers, and all the O2 sim **** that you'd need that costs over $1.75k by themselves
Old 01-28-02, 08:55 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by VQT

That's just MO on the definition of a sport car, two doors two seater.

AND still MO, I maybe wrong, sport coupe is two doors with 4 seats.

I didn't say anything bad about the performance of those cars. I like all cars remember

ALSO, when I walk through a parking lot, I would pass by a stock or mod. Supra without stopping ( I may have a glance at it). But if I see a Viper, a XK8, a Z8, a NSX, a Aston Martin, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, ... I would stop, walk around, drool a little. I am a material boy, what can I say
I wouldn't stop for any of these cars simply because I have seen them, and there is no use looking at them if I can't drive them or sit in them.
Old 01-28-02, 09:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Oh and the correct term for overweight sports cars like the SupraTT and the Z TT is GT car.

The Corvette is really neither as it weighs a lot; and its not luxurious by any means like the Supra and Z are. although it does get its track times from good suspension and not just pure grip.

The Viper is a POS. Sort of a modern muscle car and by no means a sports car. It gets its grip and track times from sheer grip from tire size alone; not suspension geometry. Notice how the C5-Rs are totally kicking the Viper's *** on the big races.

The RX-7 is a sports car. Its the last TRUE sports car to come out of Japan in a long time and its the only one available here in the US that doesn't cost over $100k (referring to the 360 Modena or some other Ferrari that can turn at least a 13 second time in a straight line and corner like a bat out of hell )
Old 01-28-02, 09:10 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bean,

All this talk is waayyy above my head.

What about installing a NOS sys. in a SC400. Is it possible? How much does it cost for parts?
Old 01-28-02, 09:26 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its interesting to see how everyone feels about the SC being a Sports car and not being one,
im doing the 2jz-gte 6speed swap (at some point) sure it costs a lot but I could have just as easily spent 10k more and got a newer SC, or sure a second one .. but I can only drive 1 at a time so ya... im spending a good amout of money on the swap but im going to get a performance gain, and basicly I will have a brand new engine, the heads will be rebuild but the block and all will be new, so either spend 6k or so and turbo my current 90k engine or spend a little more and do it right .. ok the power isnt' the same but its not too expencive to get to BPU over all cost prob 2x that of just thowing a turbo on ... but I have a new engine and room to grow..
also corvettes C4's arn't fast 245hp .. unless were talkin about the zr1 but those are a bit more costly and I belive a more rare.
also insurance can add up on sports cars too ..?

just some thoughts..
Old 01-28-02, 09:31 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by SDSC300
Its interesting to see how everyone feels about the SC being a Sports car and not being one,
im doing the 2jz-gte 6speed swap (at some point) sure it costs a lot but I could have just as easily spent 10k more and got a newer SC, or sure a second one .. but I can only drive 1 at a time so ya... im spending a good amout of money on the swap but im going to get a performance gain, and basicly I will have a brand new engine, the heads will be rebuild but the block and all will be new, so either spend 6k or so and turbo my current 90k engine or spend a little more and do it right .. ok the power isnt' the same but its not too expencive to get to BPU over all cost prob 2x that of just thowing a turbo on ... but I have a new engine and room to grow..
also corvettes C4's arn't fast 245hp .. unless were talkin about the zr1 but those are a bit more costly and I belive a more rare.
also insurance can add up on sports cars too ..?

just some thoughts..
.... and how much is it going to cost you? Isn't 2JZ-GTE very expencive to buy new?
Old 01-28-02, 09:48 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... and how much is it going to cost you? Isn't 2JZ-GTE very expencive to buy new?
I can get a new block for about 2k that is complete
rebuild heads are 1300+(600 rebuild)
turbos/intake manifold with 29,xxx miles were $650

+ a few other little things but not too bad
Old 01-28-02, 09:53 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
The RX-7 is a sports car. Its the last TRUE sports car to come out of Japan in a long time and its the only one available here in the US that doesn't cost over $100k (referring to the 360 Modena or some other Ferrari that can turn at least a 13 second time in a straight line and corner like a bat out of hell )
What about the NSX?
Old 01-28-02, 10:02 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
The Viper is a POS. Sort of a modern muscle car and by no means a sports car. It gets its grip and track times from sheer grip from tire size alone; not suspension geometry. Notice how the C5-Rs are totally kicking the Viper's *** on the big races.
Very true, people complain about traction issues and other such things with those cars- too tail-happy, loses grip suddenly, etc. There simply wasn't enough thought put into the car's suspension system.
Old 01-29-02, 04:49 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So you're saying a Viper is because it's a two seater and Toyota Supra TT isn't because it has 2 + 2 seats? Please!
Ask an insurance adjuster : Sports car = 2 doors and 2 seats.

Those that have owned a sports car know; their insurance is inflated. Why do you think mustangs and camaros are so cheap to get insurance on. Minimum insurance for my RX was 2 times more expensive than full coverage in my SC. I pay just over 700$ a year for FULL coverage on my SC, and Floridas minimum insurance requirement was $980 every six months for my RX!!!! Why ...."The RX-7 is a sports car and the Lexus is a coupe". Basically verbatum from Allstate.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, Just saying what I was told.
Old 01-29-02, 07:02 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Keith13b

Ask an insurance adjuster : Sports car = 2 doors and 2 seats.

Those that have owned a sports car know; their insurance is inflated. Why do you think mustangs and camaros are so cheap to get insurance on. Minimum insurance for my RX was 2 times more expensive than full coverage in my SC. I pay just over 700$ a year for FULL coverage on my SC, and Floridas minimum insurance requirement was $980 every six months for my RX!!!! Why ...."The RX-7 is a sports car and the Lexus is a coupe". Basically verbatum from Allstate.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, Just saying what I was told.
Nope, it has every bit to do with cost of repairs on the vechicle. That used to be the case but the insurance companies got very good at estimating how much is insurance on the vechicle. They takes lots of statistics to account when giving the price for the car. That includes the crash statistics, how many cars in the area you live in.... on and on and on. RX7 is in the same class as SC and Supra. Don't go by insurance classification because they're very inacurate. They list RX7 with the same class as integra and Honda civic.
Old 01-29-02, 07:32 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by The Ikon
What about the NSX?
If the NSX cost $40k instead of $90k, it would also be a sports car

but its just an exotic; and also very overpriced imo... Back in the early 80s, Ferraris were turning the same times for the same price...

this is the 21st century now and those same equivalent ferraris are turning low 12s and handle way better

NSX = waste of money when compared to other cars in its price range.
Old 01-29-02, 06:23 PM
pinoyentity
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by speed runner
I would still drive my Vette during the sring and summer, not only is it a head turner but it only gose up in value every year. It dosen't rust. The resale value is much greated than the lexus. I only use the luxus as a winter car. The car of choice for me is my 75 Vette. It has already doubled in price in two years with out spending any money. My 90 corvette has already gone up in value without spending any money on it.
You can't say that about any ricer out there unless you sped $8,000.00
on it and then you have already defeted the purpose. A study was done a few years back and chicks prefer the Vette over a ricer 99% of the time.
Juast my 2 cents.....
your the biggest moron on this board. based on a many of your posts, you seem to be a very close minded person who cant spell.
i guess the only way you can get any girl, is with your car.
troll
Old 01-29-02, 06:35 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I got more smiles from the girls in my C5 too. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I truly loved the Sting Ray Vette and when they first came out with the 84' body style.. It got kinda dated in early 90'sIMO vs the Lexus SC, 300ZX, Supra, 3000GT, Stealth, NSX and RX7(which the C5 owes it's front styling)... Now in 97' it roared back according to the consumers...

The SC was one of the, if not the most significant car made in the 90's hands down... The awards prove that.. Plus it still looks great after 10 years.......

Clint, Scott, Jeff, ComputerWiz, etc with a turbo SC3 what was/is your fastest times and how much have you spent? ***Also add the labor for these mods IF a person had to pay for the labor...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-29-02 at 06:39 PM.