SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Inspecting a SC thats been in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 01:56 AM
Mangudai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspecting a SC thats been in an accident

Now, there are two SC's that I plan to take a look at over the weekend. They have both been involved in frontal accidents. Heres what carfax says

10/19/1996 Florida
Police Report
Case #541544210 Accident reported
Involving a front impact
with another motor vehicle

and the other..

Florida
Police Report
Case #522648410 Accident reported
Involving a front impact
with another motor vehicle

Now, I know the description is pretty vague but I can only assume it wasnt a major accident if no frame damage was reported right? I was wondering if I could use those case numbers some how but I have no idea. Anywho, what im wondering is, what should I look for? Or should I even worry about it.

Thanks
Old 12-21-07, 02:01 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got an accident 3 months ago, It was head on, front end damage. The body shop fixed it. Somehow my engine is not running quite well than before.

I'd rather take a rear end damage and not worry about the motor. But it's just me.
Old 12-21-07, 05:45 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

I'd rather take a rear end damage and not worry about the motor. But it's just me.
No you dont .....i thought so too. The rear of our cars are the softest spot . My rear quarter panel was not badly damaged but when i got home and pryed the trunk open my chasis was warped up until the back seat where the bottom strap for the seatbelts bolt in .Everyone of my buddies was shocked to see the amount of damage the car really had .Insurance totalled it on the spot. .The car i owned now was hit in front so the car is at the bodyshop getting the radiator support replaced .The car dont pull or drive funny but my hood dont line up very well .if you have rear damage on a sc its because it was rearended or they spun out bending both frame rails on the car.
Old 12-21-07, 09:29 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
No you dont .....i thought so too. The rear of our cars are the softest spot . My rear quarter panel was not badly damaged but when i got home and pryed the trunk open my chasis was warped up until the back seat where the bottom strap for the seatbelts bolt in .Everyone of my buddies was shocked to see the amount of damage the car really had .Insurance totalled it on the spot. .The car i owned now was hit in front so the car is at the bodyshop getting the radiator support replaced .The car dont pull or drive funny but my hood dont line up very well .if you have rear damage on a sc its because it was rearended or they spun out bending both frame rails on the car.
.... The best way is to get a straight body and save ourselves some time and money.
Old 12-21-07, 09:44 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine was in a minor front-end collision, and everything was repaired very well. Its clear it wasn't major. Now the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that the panel gap on the right side on the hood doesn't match the left.

If the condition is really good despite the collision, I say you have nothing to worry about if it has been repaired correctly.
Old 12-21-07, 11:51 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc250tt
I agree with sc250tt. My carfax report is clean, yet a week and a half ago my rear subframe broke.
Old 12-21-07, 12:24 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Remember this...Most people who bought SC's new, also have the money to get them fixed without it ever showing up on carfax. In fact a friend of mine who's married to his agent. Got his wrecked EVO fixed and it never showed up on the carfax.

I've even heard of dealerships making false carfax reports just to get a sale done.

Take it to a mechanic. Get it up on a rack and look. Factory parts do not have yellow paint-pen writing on them...Junkyard parts do.

Hell take pictures of what looks fishy to you, and post them up. Most people here know more about the SC then the Lexus mechanics who work on them.

Plus it might raise a few eyebrows for other members who might have the same problem.
Old 12-21-07, 12:25 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Honda Prelude with a squeeky clean carfax, but had rear end damage. Obviously, it wasn't reported to the police.

It can go either way. Even the most minor accidents can get reported for insurance purposes.
Old 12-21-07, 12:55 PM
Mangudai
Driver School Candidate

I see, you all raise very good points. The only problem is, one of the cars is up in tampa and I doubt my brother would be willing to make the trip twice to go see the car. Though, the other one of down here(South Florida).