SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another my headlights condense thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 03:32 AM
sc400 2nv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another my headlights condense thread

I CHANGED THE TITLE CUZ THE EBAY ONES ACCORDING TO A FELLOW CL MEMBER DO FOG UP... PLEASE HELP ME FIX THE CONDENSATION ON MY OEM ONES!!!!... IVE SEARCHED BUT COULDNT FIND THAT ONE POST OF THE SPECIFIC HEADLIGHT POINTS THAT WOULD CAUSE THE FOGGING UP!!

ANY MORE POINTERS/TIPS WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS ALOT =)

hello. heres a quick intro... i drive a 1997 black sc400. the oem headlights are nice and clear with some 3m polishing. it doesnt even fog up anymore, but i occasionally have to repolish from time to time.... well its been raining here in CALI and the passenger side headlight develops condensation. =(

i recently removed the passenger side headlight and resealed it till no tommorrow, and was sure to stop the condensation prob.... i mean i resealed the thing all around! it doesnt condensate on regular washes but as soon as it rains it fogs up again... well sure enough it rained again and there was condensation all over again. =( im just sick of it!!!!!!

i was looking at an earlier thread about those ebay headlights. im not a big fan but they look ok and for the price, why not! butttt, i dont want these suckers to fog up like the oems dooo. any feedback???? do they fog up during rain or really cold weather???/ or any way to stop the condensation ( like specific points to silicone the OEM headlights ) .....

thanks to all CL members who contribute and help my cause. i would rather fix the oem but the ebay headlights are a backup solution.. thanks again! =)

Last edited by sc400 2nv; 01-04-08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-28-07, 03:43 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

try resealing your headlights once again when it is warmer, cooler air carries more moisture that can get inside your headlights and can cause it to condense on colder weather
Old 12-28-07, 10:23 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Do the entire job in your house and let the assembly sit for a few days--if you can. If not, wait until you have a weekend or a few days off of work to do so.

When you think you sealed it, you probably didn't. DO NOT use a heat gun and a screwdriver! It will flex the housing back and create more problems when resealing. Use only the hot water method or oven.

Also, make sure ALL of your light connections are properly seated in the housing after you're done. If one has a gap, the seals won't work properly and you may develop condensation after a nice rain.
Old 12-28-07, 10:24 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Also, if you buy the Ebay lights, keep your OEM ones just in case.
Old 12-28-07, 06:52 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

it took me two times to get it right, you have to silicone the right spot if you don't you will leak !!! and also put the first coat down, place together and ZIP TIE !! this is important, then wait 24 hours, another bead of silicone, another 24 hours, then again !! it might seam like overkill but look at it this way, i never have to do it again (5 months later and still no leaky)
Old 12-28-07, 07:28 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

don't buy the ebay ones.
I have them, and yes - they do condense inside.
Old 12-28-07, 07:47 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My drivers side gets condensation and the dim lights are weak. I need to call Lexus and price 2 new headlight assemblies.
Old 12-28-07, 08:33 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shaitaan
don't buy the ebay ones.
I have them, and yes - they do condense inside.
did they condense before you opened them up?
Old 12-29-07, 06:42 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NPSC303
did they condense before you opened them up?

these are the ones I kept sealed. didn't open them.
Old 12-29-07, 06:49 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 284 Likes on 209 Posts

check the vent tubes on the back of the headlight and make sure there is a filter in there. A small ball of cotton does the trick if there is nothing there. This trick stopped my condensation after I resealed mine and when I removed it, they condensed again.
Old 12-30-07, 07:24 PM
sc400 2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by NYe36er
check the vent tubes on the back of the headlight and make sure there is a filter in there. A small ball of cotton does the trick if there is nothing there. This trick stopped my condensation after I resealed mine and when I removed it, they condensed again.

would it be wise to just seal off the vents with silicone???
Old 01-04-08, 06:20 AM
sc400 2nv
Driver

Bump! Now Please Help Me Stop The Condensation On The Oem Ones...
Old 01-24-08, 03:08 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for this thread since I have the same problem.
Old 01-24-08, 06:59 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you read the tutorial that OLT posted a while back?

I've done one set of headlights, didn't use anything besides what was already on there. I dunno, for some reason I don't think water could leak through that seal... there's tons of the stuff, plus it has to go through 2 channels to actually get inside the headlight. I wouldn't seal up the vent plugs, they are there for a reason. It seems that when it's humid they fog up because of fumes in the headlight (along with however water can find its way in there).
Old 05-20-08, 06:22 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYe36er
I think i'll try this!

Quick Reply: Another my headlights condense thread