SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need input...thinking of selling/trading car...(again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 09:03 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Sell it now. Ive been trying to sell my 2JZGTE SC for a while and it hasnt been fun. You have to get lucky and find a proper buyer. I think I got lucky and im waiting to see if payment clears.

Point being, its MUCH harder to sell an SC than everyone here believes.
ya hemo, i've seen your car on craigslist, supraforums, and ebay... yours is loads better than mine, and your having a hard time selling

Originally Posted by Dx3
That car is waaaay too nice to sell. First car I think I have ever seen where I like the gold emblems. Keep the car and mod it.

Jonny
haha thanks johnny I only like the gold cause they match my wheels
Old 01-07-08, 09:29 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, if you want to sell it, sell it. No matter what car you buy, it's a depreciating asset. You'll never make money on your car.

Swap in the 5speed parts and keep it. You'll love your car over and over. But is it really worth it to sell?

Let's put it this way, I only drive my SC a few months out of the year. A waste yes, but do i love my car? hell yes. I can't get crap monetary wise for my SC. That thing is such a money pit I don't care anymore. Why not just keep it as a beater? And get a newer car? SC's aren't worth much anymore. Everyone knows it. That's why I bought another SC as a beater...it's cheap, and reliable.
Old 01-07-08, 11:01 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion: Put the 5 speed in. Drive it for a month, take it to auto x, enjoy it. After that month, if you still don't like it, consider your other options.
Old 01-07-08, 11:28 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

autox season is over for a couple of months =( only thing coming up is Laguna Seca on Jan 21'st with BMWCCA...unfortunately its on a monday...and I have work...i think registration is over as well =(. I will probably drive the 5 spd for a little bit see how I like it. (already know im gonna love it) haha...just I wish there was more pull... Depressing to watch everyone start pulling away from you knowing they are all in 5th gear...hehe *boost required, to keep up with mildly modded friends *
Old 01-07-08, 11:36 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much man?

~Muscles out
Old 01-07-08, 12:05 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

we have an event coming up on feb 8th ill get u more details its more drift/grip driving but all are welcome
Old 01-07-08, 12:21 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
How much man?

~Muscles out
PMed

Originally Posted by phrozen
we have an event coming up on feb 8th ill get u more details its more drift/grip driving but all are welcome
ooo PM details plz
Old 01-07-08, 12:48 PM
bcp_sc300

Yea Just sell it, we dont need a twin and SJ
Old 01-07-08, 12:54 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Sell the car, put it the money into something that appreciates. Build your net worth. With that money earned over the next few years, invest it into something larger. THEN you can buy whatever toy car you want later on.

Besides, the SC is now becoming a ricer car aka the next 240.
Old 01-07-08, 12:56 PM
bcp_sc300

Originally Posted by kaotiq

NOOOOOOOOOOooooo

thats it im going back to honda...
Old 01-07-08, 01:22 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking the same thing a while back (to move to a Supra). The rate of depreciation is a reason to keep the car, not sell it. Because it's already so old, it loses less and less each year. If you're worried about overall savings...it makes more sense to keep the car until it totally falls apart.

IMO, going to a Supra or M3 will be moving from one money pit into a different looking money pit.

My vote is to keep the SC.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by CyberSC4; 01-07-08 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 03:14 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

clean sc! i actually sold my mint condition e36 m3 for my sc300. totally different cars with different characteristics. at times i do miss the m3, but once i'm done with the sc, i should be fully satisfied with it.
Old 01-08-08, 10:33 AM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
IMHO, if you want to sell it, sell it. No matter what car you buy, it's a depreciating asset. You'll never make money on your car.
I second that. i lost like 15k in my lambo in like 3 months.
but LS460 will hold its value for awhile... even ISs...before the 2gens came out... it was selling for like what.. close to 20k with like 70k miles? haha

i think for lexus... (newer gens) the value loses once u drive it out the dealership (like all cars) but holds value down the road up til a few years.. then it slowly starts to depreciate again.. but then again by that time ur car is arleady in hte mid 100k mileages.
Old 01-08-08, 10:41 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Im confused how is the SC becoming the next ricer?

Im the only one with one in my home town, State college PA, if seen a college student with 1 where once,

even in Atlanta i dont see many at all

If anything i think they are a dieing breed, Not many know the cars at all, Nore can most afforded the insurance or gas for them, Civcs and 240s will always be those cars, Not so much for SCs i think, I could be way off base, but EVERY sc i have seen out and about is ether bone stock and is being driven by old people, or is really nice with simple mods on them such as wheels or lip kits, with built up motors
Old 01-08-08, 10:46 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaotiq

Any car could be a "ricer" it all just depends who's modding it. And everyone would agree that SC has a timeless design.

Quick Reply: Need input...thinking of selling/trading car...(again)