SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Winter Storage...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 07:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Winter Storage...few questions

I'm storing my SC pretty soon (until May). Usually what i did with my other car before is that I would start the engine every 2 weeks or so and let it warm up while I clean the garage.

BUT, now I noticed that the SC has a electric cable that you can plug into the outlet and warm up the engine. My question is, is it safe or good for the car if I just just plug that into the outlet for 4-5 months? Will it do damage to my electric bill? I've never owned a car that has the electric cable thing, and have owned the car for less than a year, so this would be my very first encounter with this thing.

I don't really want to take out the battery as I still like to sit in it (yea, I'm weird like that) and clean it up and wash it and such
Old 01-07-08, 10:25 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? i didnt know it had an electric cable. wheres that located? is that only in the sc400s? because i dont think ive seen one on my sc300
Old 01-08-08, 06:26 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think the cable is OEM... My loaded 400 doesnt have that.
Old 01-08-08, 08:04 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I'd do it old skool. Mine is in storage now, and I start it once a week, then drive forward about 10 feet out of the garage to make sure the e-brake doesn't stick.
Old 01-08-08, 08:29 AM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

I believe that plug is for the engine block heater. It is only used for plugging in overnight for the cold starts in the morning. I wouldn't leave it plugged in for 4-5 months. I would also use damp rid for your interior so it will take out most of the moisture in the cabin area during storage. GL!
Old 01-08-08, 08:40 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep that is exactly it! The block heater was actually quite a pricey option used to warm up the oil for starting in low temperatures.

I think you should just continue with what you've been doing all along.
Old 01-08-08, 09:46 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

A lot of cars come standard with that up in da norf. Remember, he is from Canada eh. Probably was in the car from the dealer.
Old 01-08-08, 10:18 AM
Kaydee

lol hahha ok thanks guys
Old 01-08-08, 12:49 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

yeah, up in michigan, ive seen parking lots with electrical strips along the centers to plug your car in so it will be easier to start it when you leave the store..lol..thank god i dont live anywhere that gets that cold...that would suck
Old 01-08-08, 02:33 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..thats interesting. i never knew all that.
Old 01-08-08, 06:40 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've started mine 2x since July. I STRONGLY suggest that you disconnect the battery at least. My red top optima was completely gone after a few months, had it recharged, now it's disconnected. I'd also suggest putting the car on jack stands unless you want flat spots on the tires....

They make some fancy battery chargers if you really want to leave it connected. You'll want one that turns on/off automatically. Personally I think it's simpler just to disc. the whole thing.
Old 01-09-08, 03:53 AM
trackball
Rookie

Go pick up a bottle of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer from your local auto parts store, and put it in a full tank of fuel before storing your car. They tell you to run the engine for five minutes after putting the stabilizer in make sure it gets mixed in and throughout the system. A bottle of this costs around $5 US$ (or less).

Also, grab yourself an intelligent battery charger. My personal (and only) favourite is the CTEK 3300. You can hook this up to the battery (or even plug it into the cigarette lighter without even opening the hood), plug it in, and it will intelligently charge and maintain your battery for months at a time.

The 3300 can charge normal car batteries, and also Optimas, Maxximas, etc.

Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedez, and many others include this exact charger with their cars (with their logo sticker on it, for more money than CTEK charges).

One of these chargers will cost you around $70 US$ (and will last forever). I bought mine from this seller on eBay; he is a registered CTEK dealer, and includes a few extras.

More on CTEK here.
Old 01-09-08, 04:51 PM
Kaydee

Originally Posted by markesc
I'd also suggest putting the car on jack stands unless you want flat spots on the tires....
if i don't have jack stands, can i just put something soft under the tires...like i dunno, a sponge or cardboard?
Old 01-09-08, 09:04 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

If you have no jack stands...get cinder blocks or phone books. The weight of the car will smash cardboard or sponges!
Old 01-10-08, 10:40 AM
Kaydee

^ well i don't want bald tires...the sponges/ cardboard go between the tires and pavement. i don't really care about them i got plenty of cardboard/ sponges

Quick Reply: Winter Storage...few questions