SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How long did it take to sell your SC? Mod(s) or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 08:53 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold my first 1992 SC3 auto, it had a small dent in the fender and a small dent in the quarter panel, w/147,000 miles and I sold it for $3800, 4 days after I posted the ad. From what i've read, I guess i'm pretty lucky for a quick sell.
Old 01-17-08, 09:06 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

When I said I sold mine in about a month, I meant I got VERY VERY lucky that it sold, and sold for a price very close to what I wanted. The sad truth is modded SC's (and I guess really any modded car) dont really sell.

Check out the various places online to sell a car, and a SC thats more than 4K will usually have some trouble selling and will be there for a while. When selling my car I talked to other SC owners that told me the same thing, selling an SC is going to be hard, take whatever offers you get. If you check ebay, there was a 97 2JZGTE VVTI 6 speed SC, and I dont think it even sold with a starting bid of 10K. There are many 'nice to us' SC's on ebay and on club lexus that have not been sold yet and have been posted for more than 2 months. The handful of SC's that sold quickly (from reputed members here) sold their car to a friend or someone local that has been eyeing the car for a while.

Maybe its cause I live in Los Angeles and SC's are common, but if you had 8-10K, would you really buy an SC? Or would you buy one of the many other cars in the 8-12k price range (S2K, IS300, GS300/400, WRX, etc)

Maybe for 3-4K, but not for 6K+.
Old 01-17-08, 11:11 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin

Maybe its cause I live in Los Angeles and SC's are common, but if you had 8-10K, would you really buy an SC? Or would you buy one of the many other cars in the 8-12k price range (S2K, IS300, GS300/400, WRX, etc)

Maybe for 3-4K, but not for 6K+.
I may have to disagree on this one. I could have bought any car I wanted, and didn't really have a limit. I sold my $30,000 NSX - and with the money I purchased a 93 SC300.

The cars you mentioned are fun, but if I want to mod a car (aside from the IS) I want to do it on a 2jz platform...

But this in itself gets back to an earlier statement - don't mod you car extensively if you want to be able to sell it.

I am sure only a handful of people would be interested, and have the financial means to buy my car if I tried to sell it. That's probably why it isn't going anywhere!!

Also - your car was pretty badass

Regards,
Jonny
Old 01-17-08, 11:43 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Your right, but your a rare case of someone who knows what they want, and have money to get to what they want. But most people dont have that type of money, and dont realize how expensive an SC is to maintain.

Who knows, maybe down the road i'll get another SC, its a great value for what it is.
Old 01-17-08, 11:35 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine went up for sale at the end of Dec of 2006, and was sold the first week of Feb 2007, to a friend at the time. Still waiting for payment Sued him, won my lawsuit in September of 2007, and still haven't seen a dime. Never trust shady friends that scam everyone "except" you. 93 1jz BPU. WAS in great condition. Trashed last I heard. If I ever get paid, maybe I can start my next project I've been planning for over a year, lol.
Old 01-18-08, 01:01 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Originally Posted by nobleblack
damnit that sucks I hate it when that type of thing happens. Well hopefully karma will hit him like a pimp does a hoe that comes short on payment in the cold. I commend you on your patience cause i'd probably be in the pin from catching a case.
Well my theory is the longer I wait, the more money I get. Once I won the suit in Sept, I am legally allowed to collect interest at a rate of 9% per year, and that can be broken down weekly. As of now, I've already made almost 80 extra dollars, lol. So, if he wants to wait 7 years, thats almost double what he owes me to begin with, lol.

And yeah, karma, considering the kid is a complete novice, he's managed to break a decent amount of things including the rear diff, and I believe the trans went also. Ran great when I sold it, and 2 days later, he blew out the rear diff, lol. Frickin kids and thinking they are fast and furious. I had just driven the car from Knoxville to Chicago to sell it and it ran perfectly. No issues at all. Haha. I guess karma knew he was never gonna pay and got him right off the bat, lol.
Old 01-19-08, 05:34 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
People sell these cars? lol. I think I am going to keep mine til I die. haha
You may have to if in California! These gorgeous "units" are just not budging here.

BTW: save $$$$$, be green + use shell as casket ???
Old 01-19-08, 11:48 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

it really depend what year, model, mods, transmission type, mileage, accidents, condition as well as supply and demand, some places have so many of these cars its hard to ask too much (CA, FL and such), also it depends on where you advertise it.

I had 2 240sx and i was able to sell mine within a month for both.
Old 01-19-08, 12:47 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^very true on the region you live in. in midwest sc are not a popular car. most of my friends have 240 for drifting and modding. some hondas too. mk3 supras are popular too. Sc no.

you know that when you buy a car you start noticing that car on the road more and more. lol. im a car guy and i saw SC on the road before but i started to notice them a lot more when i bought mine a year and half ago. other then my SC i know of one other person that has one and i have seen a few running around driven by granmas. lol.
Old 01-19-08, 01:45 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

i know huh?! before you buy a car, it seems like you never see them, after you buy one, you start seeing them everywhere!! we must be the trend starters
Old 01-20-08, 05:22 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
you know that when you buy a car you start noticing that car on the road more and more. lol. im a car guy and i saw SC on the road before but i started to notice them a lot more when i bought mine a year and half ago. other then my SC i know of one other person that has one and i have seen a few running around driven by granmas. lol.
The SC was my first choice but I couldn't afford or couldn't find a "decent" that I cld afford. So I settled for an Acura Legend coupe.

Well - 8+ happy, low maintenance years later....

It's SC all the way this time!

Having a hard time selling the 1991 Legend, w/ a mere 184k miles on it!