Driving the Sc300

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 03:35 AM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the Sc300

Hi.

I had a couple of questions for you guys about driving the Sc300. Not sure where exactly to post this, bought I thought I might post it in the Sc forum since I am talking about the Sc. I am basically a new driver. I bought a Lexus Sc300 as my first car. I know the car has a lot of horsepower for a first car, and a new driver, but it is a coupe, and it is a smaller car then some of the other cars I was looking at. Plus I just liked the Sc's.

Alright, so knowing that I am new to driving I have been having a little trouble with a few things that I thought maybe you guy's could help me out with since you have experience with driving, and driving the Sc's also. The biggest issue you can say I have is with staying inside the lanes, and not being all over the road. I was wanting to know if you guys could let me know of some things I could do to help to keep the car in the lane, and not be all over the road, and some suggestions of how to control the car to keep it more stable (My car has some tramlining in it also). I actually have my temps right now. I was wanting to get my license, but I think I need to work on these things first before I do so. So if you have any suggestions how what I can do I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-17-08, 04:37 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well, as for any kind of DYI for driving; your best bet is experience. The Sc300 is not exactly a small car, and the only thing really that will improve your ability to control and calculate maneuvers is practice. I went from a 1991 LS1 RX-7 to my SC300, and it was a totally different car. I can visualize my car in the lanes, and when I'm driving around town; so I can fit in spots and go in between cars when needed. Its just patience and practice; Perfect Practice makes Perfect Performance. Do your best to study the way your car reacts when you drive the way you do, and accommodate your driving style to the car you are in.

I feel very comfortable in my Sc300, if I didn't I would sell the car for something that I can better situate myself in. If you can't find the comfort and dependability you need to properly use your car... you may need to find a different first car Welcome to the SC300 world though, hopefully you will become comfortable and proficient with your car

And actually, no matter were you are driving; 9 times out of 10 there is something on the ground right outside your window. Whether it is a median, side of the road or road stripes; you can gauge how far you need to be in order to stay in the center/ acceptable area of the lane. Eventually, you will notice yourself adjusting to stay in the center of the lane just by looking down the road that you are driving. Its one of those crazy things the human mind can do.
Old 01-17-08, 06:30 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all it takes is time behind the wheel. the more tiem you spend, the easier it gets until yo ucan do it without even thinking. take it easy at first and just go and drive if you can afford the gas!
Old 01-17-08, 07:05 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its just practice, practice, practice. Unless you have some massive problem where the car wont literally stay inside the lanes. Which I doubt.

Keep trying and enjoy the SC
Old 01-17-08, 07:12 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Such a pleasure to see a mature 15/16 year old on here asking sensible questions. I applaud your commitment to learning how to drive correctly before anything else Most of the new younger guys on here usually start by asking what they can do to make the car faster

As everyone has said - it just takes time and practice. The more time you can get behind the wheel the better. Find somewhere to practice your parallel parking - after you master that you should have a better feel of the car.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 01-17-08, 08:01 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

The car looks deceptively small, but it is a fairly long vehicle at 188+". That may be the first thing, getting used to the size of the vehicle. Second, the staying in a lane, is the car seemingly "fighting" you? Are you constantly correcting your steering? Then the problem might be the car. Look in the suspension forum, you will find lots on control arms, bushings, steering bushings, etc. If it is more you, then as mentioned above, you need to practice some more. The steering can feel light at times and until you get familiar with the dynamics of th car, drive her slowly and carefully. Congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Old 01-17-08, 08:05 AM
Zeal3
Pole Position

my sister told me to use ur side view mirrors and keep urself in the line. its as simple as that i had the same problem as well but when i learned how to do this. it took me a week to do it w/o having to rely on them.
and all roads are not perfectly straight. u have to tilt a little bit left and right to get it to flow with the road
Old 01-17-08, 08:28 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

practice, practice, practice....thats all it is. also check the suspension on your car. take it to an honest and trustworthy mechanic (kinda funny to use that in the same sentence isnt it...), have him look at all the suspension components. this is the list:

control arm bushings...both upper and lower, front and rear
ball joints
tie rod ends...inner and outer
steering rack bushings
shocks and springs
alignment

have him check the suspension. if it comes back okay then just practice driving.

bad suspension bushings/alignment can cause the car to weer one side or another or be all over the place.

also do a lot of searching. PM me with your email i can give you a lot of links and files that i compiled that relate to stock maintenance and after market upgrades as well as DIY write-ups.

applause on a mature 15/16 yr old!!! when you get your license drive up to IL and do some drift days with your car during the summer. i did it last summer. so much fun
Old 01-17-08, 08:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah what everyone else has said.

I would like to add I think you made a great choice for your first car.
The SC is pretty nimble and grips the road very well.
It is not overly large or anything.
Yes it is powerful, but don't mash the pedal until you are ready.

what you are experiancing every one of us has gone through and it doesnt matter the car (unless its like a hummer lol)

It takes a while to get used to not being in the center of the car and keeping the car in the center. I used to lean over to the right a bit when I first started driving to get a better angle. the *gangsta lean* i guess.

good luck, start out in parking lots.
Old 01-17-08, 09:08 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Such a pleasure to see a mature 15/16 year old on here asking sensible questions. I applaud your commitment to learning how to drive correctly before anything else Most of the new younger guys on here usually start by asking what they can do to make the car faster

As everyone has said - it just takes time and practice. The more time you can get behind the wheel the better. Find somewhere to practice your parallel parking - after you master that you should have a better feel of the car.

Good luck,
Jonny

I taught my lil cuz how to drive in first SC3, and he had a problem with staying in his lane also, so I took him to I.K.E.A parking lot, or just somewhere with a big empty lot and he practiced there. Also he had a problem with his hands following his eyes, meaning if he looked left the car would gradually move left. The only thing that helped was what everyone else is saying, practice young man.
Old 01-17-08, 09:15 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Congrats on the new car. as everyone said practice practice practice. Good luck. and your in the right forums.
Old 02-02-08, 11:37 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for not responding back about this post. Just got a chance to get back on. Actually just to let you guy's know, I am 18. I know.... that is why I need to start driving hahaha. Thanks for all the suggestions though. It's just that I really don't get that much of a chance to practice my driving. Anyways to let you guys know about the tramlining problem I am having.

I have I have replaced the lower control arms, got new transmission mount, and bought a new set of tires. I have 245/40/18. I bought the Yokahoma Yk520. The guy at discount tire recommended I get them. I did have the falken zeix 512's on there before. I have also replaced the rotors with slotted, and drilled rotors, and the brake pads also. I plan on getting some steering rack bushings, and sway bar bushings also. Let me know if there is any other things I should replace also, for the tramlining problem.

Now with the driving part. I know some of you guys are probably professional drivers, so that is why I wanted to ask you guys for some suggestions about the staying in the lane problem I am having. If you guy's have any other suggestions for me, please let me know.

One other question I have. I was wanting to know if there was any kind of device you can get for your car that digital displays the MPH of how fast you are going? I believe I have seen these before. Instead of looking at the speedometer, and the needles, to see how fast you are going. You have a digital display that shows you instead. Anyone know if there is anyway you could purchase something like this?

Last edited by Just2fly; 02-02-08 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 06:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

245's will tramline pretty much all the time on certain roads. it's just something you hve to deal with and pay attention to.

the display you are looking for is called a heads up display, or HUD. there are a couple aftermarket mfrs. of these. google HUD and i'm sure you'l lfind them.
Old 02-03-08, 07:53 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

When I started driving the SC I had problems staying in my lane mainly due to the steering response of the SC. Before I drove the SC I drove an accord for 4 years with no problems, so the SC does take some getting used to. But like what most people are saying all it takes is practice, and you'll eventually adjust to your car.

First thing I checked was the tire pressure, and after filling up the tires to 35 psi(cold) all around the car got a bit more responsive and easier to control. Another thing to check would be your alignment spec.

The yokohama yk520 is a very nice upgrade over the falken 512, but both are sort of a loud tire. You'll feel the road more with the yk520 though.
Old 02-03-08, 09:24 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my SC handles great...much better than my s13 did...but it was also a track car and not daily friendly.

like everyone said practice..i've been driving since i was 14 (hardship lic.), and started racing with scca on my 16th...owned 13 cars since then, and i must say the SC is very impressive to me, although kinda heavy, but with a little time, money and work, i think a good amount of boost will take care of that.

learn to "feel" your car, and what its doing. dont push yourself or the car till your completely comfortable with its handling and your driving skills. tramlining can also be caused by some softer compound tires, wider rims etc.., but like Blkexcoupe said, check your tire pressure.

practice practice practice...GL...
thats my 2 cents..not sure if anyone really cares cause i'm still a noob here, but not new to driving, and not a moron either...but have fun

Quick Reply: Driving the Sc300