SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 11:04 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people put SEM on the center console trim? It looks so tacky! You can buy a new black one for about $80 if you know the right people. Hit up Jay Marks Toyota.
Old 02-17-08, 11:18 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you remove the dash to paint it or did u spray it in car? Either case, it looks awesome!
Old 02-18-08, 05:24 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Why do people put SEM on the center console trim? It looks so tacky! You can buy a new black one for about $80 if you know the right people. Hit up Jay Marks Toyota.
What are you talking about?
Old 02-18-08, 06:09 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I'll have to agree with RedPhoenix, what an ignorant comment. Why would I ever pay $80 when I can make it look the same for less? If it looks the same and the quality is still there, why pay more? Besides, what is so tacky about it? The center console is black, it has a new shine to it, it looks better than old used ones, and personally, I can totally see people with already black interior doing the same thing so that their old parts look brand new.
Old 02-18-08, 06:11 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evileagle
Did you remove the dash to paint it or did u spray it in car? Either case, it looks awesome!
Well, I removed all the pieces except for the top headboard piece. I was afraid that taking if off and putting it back on will eventually lead to some rattling, so I just masked everything off and sprayed the top part.
Old 02-18-08, 06:44 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
What are you talking about?
The factory console trim piece is not glossy black like that. It's a matte black. Looks amazing and if you've ever been in a stock black interior SC that's what it looks like. Most people that do these SEM conversions also spray that trim piece and IMO looks very tacky and like someone sprayed something on it! I personally would have used something else. Just my observation! Other than that the SEM seems to work very well with the other vinyl/leather pieces.
Old 02-18-08, 10:01 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

The factory console trim piece is not glossy black like that. It's a matte black. Looks amazing and if you've ever been in a stock black interior SC that's what it looks like. Most people that do these SEM conversions also spray that trim piece and IMO looks very tacky and like someone sprayed something on it! I personally would have used something else. Just my observation! Other than that the SEM seems to work very well with the other vinyl/leather pieces.
I didn't use any SEM product though, I used Folia-Tec, which is a higher grade vinyl dying/paint. The console trim pieces are all matted black, they just looks glossy in the pictures for some reason. The texture and everything is still there and it just looks like any factory part if you see it in person. At any rate, it's all a matter of opinion, and you're entitle to your own if you think it's tacky. But my car is a 92, so everything was old and dull looking when I got it, the fresh new black paint makes it look new and it looks a lot better imo. Plus, trying to buy all the interior parts in black brand new would cost way more and totally unnecessary. Besides, I think this project is a lot of fun even though it's time consuming. It feels very rewarding to see that I can take an old interior and make it look new again without having to spend a crapload of money.
Old 02-18-08, 10:11 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by romeo291
I didn't use any SEM product though, I used Folia-Tec, which is a higher grade vinyl dying/paint. The console trim pieces are all matted black, they just looks glossy in the pictures for some reason. The texture and everything is still there and it just looks like any factory part if you see it in person. At any rate, it's all a matter of opinion, and you're entitle to your own if you think it's tacky. But my car is a 92, so everything was old and dull looking when I got it, the fresh new black paint makes it look new and it looks a lot better imo. Plus, trying to buy all the interior parts in black brand new would cost way more and totally unnecessary. Besides, I think this project is a lot of fun even though it's time consuming. It feels very rewarding to see that I can take an old interior and make it look new again without having to spend a crapload of money.
Old 02-18-08, 10:41 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

only thing i can see is being tacky is the unpainted buttons on that trim piece, which will be done right ? have you found a solution to the lettering?
Old 02-18-08, 11:19 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
only thing i can see is being tacky is the unpainted buttons on that trim piece, which will be done right ? have you found a solution to the lettering?
Yes, I think I have a solution. My parents own a nail salon (hahaha, I am Vietnamese, how stereotypical huh?)....anyways, they have an airbrush gun and stencils. I am pretty good at airbrushing, so I might just paint over them and airbrush the information in, and cover it with a clear to protect it. I bet anyplace that does airbrush can do this pretty easily if you don't have access to one. But yeah, on the buttons with light underneath it, they have a highgloss to it, there's a clear plastic piece inside that I think I can pry out if done very carefully, I'll try it tonight. these pieces will be easy since there's no stenciling involved, and I just need to sand it down, prime it, paint it, and put a clear on it and it'll be all good. I'll update on results.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that for the buttons for the gas or hood and stuff, I'll have to make my own stencil for those.....which wouldn't be hard at all since they're basic pictures. I won't be able to do this until I visit my parents again though.
Old 02-18-08, 01:50 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Turned out very nice, but for some reason it looks overwhelming ? the color contrast between the black and the tan is too great. IMO there is too much black or not enough, perhaps some black seats and to die the A pilers would complete the black/tan interior. This is just my .02 cause i really like the look of this one:

Originally Posted by romeo291
PHASE 1 has been completed!!! Phase 2, I will get the door panels, seats, and side panels in the back. Once that's done, I'll do carpet and my floor mats should be coming in soon.

OLD INTERIOR:

NEW INTERIOR:

Old 02-18-08, 03:54 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19ES250
Turned out very nice, but for some reason it looks overwhelming ? the color contrast between the black and the tan is too great. IMO there is too much black or not enough, perhaps some black seats and to die the A pilers would complete the black/tan interior. This is just my .02 cause i really like the look of this one:

haha, dude, this is not complete yet. This is only the first phase. Like the title said, I am changing my interior from tan to black. If you read through some stuff, you'll notice that I got a lot more plans coming to changing it all to black.
Old 02-18-08, 04:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the paint last? I am new to this spray. Like, if I spray the seat, it won't discolor after frequent contact>?
I am excited!!!
Old 02-18-08, 04:16 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks outstanding. I've used VHT interior dye on a few pieces of my interior which has worked well for me but it still doesn't look as good as what you posted.
Old 02-18-08, 05:20 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
is the paint last? I am new to this spray. Like, if I spray the seat, it won't discolor after frequent contact>?
I am excited!!!
Hey man, I've been rubbing my center console, and it hasn't rubbed off or anything. I don't know about putting on your seats though, that could be disaster. Well, I don't even know for sure, but I haven't had it long enough to determine if it'll be safe to use on seats. I would assume if you clean your seats really well, prime it really well, spray on the paint, then put a really nice clear coat on it.....it might last. but no doubt it'll fade with all the frequent contact and stuff. I would say this stuff is good to use on panels and stuff, but I probably won't recommend it on leather seats. But you never know, if you got the ***** to try it, let me know how that goes. If you do try it though, make sure you let it set for a good amount of time before sitting on it, at least a day to set.

Quick Reply: Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)