SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 06:39 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JesLet
Sweet IS300/Celica/TRD badge steering wheel!

I actually thought about doing that. Instead, I did IS300/Rav4/Lexus badge.

haha, thats kool. I did the celica airbag because I just took it from my under construction 3sgte swapped celica, and the TRD badge was taken off the TRD horn that you can buy. It peels right off the horn and you can just krazyglue it on. Looks sweet =D
Old 04-22-08, 03:14 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going on with this project, any progress?????
Old 04-22-08, 09:09 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good, i think imma do it to my sc, how much money have u spent on paint so far, and are u gonna paint the rear seat panels also
Old 04-23-08, 11:50 AM
GaDawg
Driver

First, your interior looks SWEET! I've been putting off the tan-to-black conversion until now.

As far as your buttons and switches go, just buy replacements on eBay (or from Aliga or R&JD) if you can. I was leaning towards a metallic gray look for the center console's face trim (like CleanSC's), so I bought dark gray buttons and useless (space-filling) cupholder; they look good and will work best once I paint that trim. They were reasonably priced (probably totaled as much as your paint for both switches), but it's an easy fix and would be a nice, final touch to your conversion.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-24-08, 05:58 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--------Updates?
Old 04-24-08, 06:50 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Caoboy
--------Updates?
yes, please..are there any updates??
Old 04-30-08, 02:10 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bkjasonp
yes, please..are there any updates??
Yeah, I will have to take some pictures after work today and post them up!
Old 04-30-08, 03:50 PM
AdamLexus
Pole Position

WOW !!! I might have to try this...

I have a sponsor that will be redoing my whole interior soon, but this does intrigue me to find out how good it really looks in person....
Old 04-30-08, 05:24 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamLexus
WOW !!! I might have to try this...

I have a sponsor that will be redoing my whole interior soon, but this does intrigue me to find out how good it really looks in person....
I don't know why but it always looks better in pictures. I have seen some in person, my opinion is it will never look as sweet as factory black. This as a way for a guy to get black for a lot less cash but its not for me.
Old 04-30-08, 09:33 PM
AdamLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I don't know why but it always looks better in pictures. I have seen some in person, my opinion is it will never look as sweet as factory black. This as a way for a guy to get black for a lot less cash but its not for me.
I fully agree with you.

But I will be redoing my whole interior in black soon. So that is why I am just going to try this out to see what it looks like. I own an automotive shop, so anything I can try out is fun for me !!!
Old 05-01-08, 12:26 PM
AdamLexus
Pole Position

Maybe you already answered this, but did you use Flat Black, Gloss Black, or the Soft Touch Black ??

This is where I found everything... http://www.ppsonline.net/foliatec_spray.htm

Where did you buy from ??
Old 05-01-08, 01:35 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdamLexus
Maybe you already answered this, but did you use Flat Black, Gloss Black, or the Soft Touch Black ??

This is where I found everything... http://www.ppsonline.net/foliatec_spray.htm

Where did you buy from ??
I used flat black, and that's a great find that you found a place online that sells it, I couldn't find a place, the store I buy them from have sold out of all their inventory. Their distributor ran out of the paint also, so they can't re-stock.

I understand that people think pictures make it look a lot better than in person, but if you see mine's in person, you would probably think otherwise. It looks like a stock interior, people have a hard time believing me when I tell that I painted it. If you do the process correctly, the results are phenomenon. I am not trying to promote this product or anything, it just works really well. All the people I know that used it have sworn by the product just like me. Just remember to seal it with the clear and the part is permanently black. I highly suggest the results, if I don't have to work late as hell again today, hopefully I can get some pictures up of the updates I've done to it.
Old 05-09-08, 12:13 PM
cshank
Driver School Candidate

I'd love to hear what you did with the buttons, seat controls, window controls, etc. I did my interior with SEMS last year and I've been mostly happy with the results. My one big issue is all the buttons and controls that I've been looking for on ebay/ classifieds/ etc. Finding black is getting tough.

I did want to mention that I painted just about everything with SEMS black satin. That includes the seats, steering wheel and arm rest. Mine is not a daily driver right now, but I've put a lot of miles on it. As far as fade and wear, I've had almost none. I've had some problems on some hard plastic pieces where the SEMS will scratch off. I've had some problem spots too, where a spot will flake or rub off. I'm almost positive that in those cases I just didn't get that area clean enough. But on the softer surfaces like seats, I've had no problems at all. It's really surprised me by how well it is holding up. It sounds like this product that you used may work better on harder plastic pieces. Maybe I'll try it out on some replacement parts.
Old 05-09-08, 01:17 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cshank
I'd love to hear what you did with the buttons, seat controls, window controls, etc. I did my interior with SEMS last year and I've been mostly happy with the results. My one big issue is all the buttons and controls that I've been looking for on ebay/ classifieds/ etc. Finding black is getting tough.

I did want to mention that I painted just about everything with SEMS black satin. That includes the seats, steering wheel and arm rest. Mine is not a daily driver right now, but I've put a lot of miles on it. As far as fade and wear, I've had almost none. I've had some problems on some hard plastic pieces where the SEMS will scratch off. I've had some problem spots too, where a spot will flake or rub off. I'm almost positive that in those cases I just didn't get that area clean enough. But on the softer surfaces like seats, I've had no problems at all. It's really surprised me by how well it is holding up. It sounds like this product that you used may work better on harder plastic pieces. Maybe I'll try it out on some replacement parts.
I have a set of black window switches up for grabs but cant seem to find a buyer? Must not be too rare.
Old 05-10-08, 01:14 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance of some pics Scott?

My car is a RHD so I am just wondering if the switches are the same....

Would be real keen otherwise.

Cheers
Matt.

Quick Reply: Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)