SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 10:05 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)

Hey guys,
So I am changing my interior from tan to black. I started stripping off all the parts on the front dash and stuff, and started painting those.

I am using a high quality vinyl paint call "Folia-Tec". A can will run you around $20, but it's worth every penny. The cool thing about this paint is that it is a self leveling paint that absorbs to the surface you're painting and actually dyes it. So when you scratch it, you don't see the tan underneath. It doesn't chip off and it doesn't run since it absorbs into the surface. This stuff is like magic.

The best thing about this paint is that the parts that I paint looks just like they were stock black parts, if not better. You can't tell the difference since the paint maintains the texture of the part you're painting.

Name:  Dsc_0024.jpg
Views: 3175
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  Dsc_0023.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  Dsc_0022.jpg
Views: 3186
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  Dsc_0021.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  Dsc_0020-1.jpg
Views: 3190
Size:  28.0 KB

One thing that I found out about this paint that will save me a crapload of money is that it'll dye leather too. My armrest and shift boot was real crappy and I was about ready to re-wrap it and make a new shift boot, but I decided to try painting it anyways. When I did, I found to my delight that the paint absorbs really well into the leather and dyes it. The paint will flex w/ the leather so that the leather is still soft and it doesn't scratch off. With a coat of clear, it becomes flawless, and it's still soft. I tried scratching it with my key and stuff, but it maintains black. The clear coat will help it from fading.

Name:  Dsc_0019-1.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  Dsc_0018.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  23.0 KB
Old 02-13-08, 10:08 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Name:  Dsc_0016-1.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  Dsc_0015-1.jpg
Views: 3015
Size:  33.5 KB

I just installed my IS300 steering wheel too, plus I painted the headboard. I didn't want to take that part off because from past experience, whenever you take off the headboard dash part off, it always rattle or make noises after you put it back together, it never become the same again. So instead of taking it off, I just masked it off and painted it. It looks great, I'll take picture when it's not raining. I'll take pix with everything installed back into the car.

UPDATED PICTURES 02/17/08
PHASE 1 has been completed!!! Phase 2, I will get the door panels, seats, and side panels in the back. Once that's done, I'll do carpet and my floor mats should be coming in soon.

OLD INTERIOR:
Name:  STOCK_02.jpg
Views: 7935
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  STOCK_01.jpg
Views: 3204
Size:  59.7 KB

NEW INTERIOR:
Name:  PHASE1_03.jpg
Views: 3211
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  PHASE1_01.jpg
Views: 3860
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  PHASE1_05.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  61.7 KB

Last edited by romeo291; 02-17-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 10:24 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks really good. have you thought about doing black and tan, like keeping tan seats and have the dash/center console black?
Old 02-13-08, 10:25 PM
MrSoarer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice! post pictures after installing them back on the car asap!
Old 02-13-08, 10:44 PM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not Bad romeo291, I did my Black/Tan interior with Sem's, I used about 2 Cans on the Dash itself. Sems is also self leveling with no clear (Flat Black). I myself didnt want to take apart the dash but I wanted it to turn out Perfect so I Ripped everything out. Took a lil time but well worth it in the end, especially the Dash. There is angle's that the paint cant cover with the Dash in the Car. And as far as "rattle or make noises after you put it back together" that didn't happen to me, I put every screw and bolt bad. Its actually really easy to take out the Dash. But if what you did works for you then thats Cool. I'm just glad you got rid of the Dookie Brown.

Keep It Up

~B~
Old 02-13-08, 10:45 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SClean4
that looks really good. have you thought about doing black and tan, like keeping tan seats and have the dash/center console black?
Nah, my tan seats are so beat, they were the reason I decided to go with the black interior. I was going to buy some leather replacement for them, and I love the way the black interior looks, so I am going to just buy black leather replacement and do everything black. I'll keep the headliner and stuff tan though, it's the same w/ everycar.

I have some brand new black floor mats on the way, and I am still looking for black carpet. I gotta figure out how to make the seat belt black and the *****.

but yeah, on the way are some 18" Work Euroline DH. I gotta save up for some Tein Comfort Sports to drop it too. Man, so much money, so little time.

Anyways, I will take pictures soon!
Old 02-13-08, 10:47 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by breed
Not Bad romeo291, I did my Black/Tan interior with Sem's, I used about 2 Cans on the Dash itself. Sems is also self leveling with no clear (Flat Black). I myself didnt want to take apart the dash but I wanted it to turn out Perfect so I Ripped everything out. Took a lil time but well worth it in the end, especially the Dash. There is angle's that the paint cant cover with the Dash in the Car. And as far as "rattle or make noises after you put it back together" that didn't happen to me, I put every screw and bolt bad. Its actually really easy to take out the Dash. But if what you did works for you then thats Cool. I'm just glad you got rid of the Dookie Brown.

Keep It Up

~B~
Oh kool, did you ever post up pictures of it? I managed to get everything on the top dashboard part.....it was definitely a pain in the *** though. I probably should've just taken it out, rather then spend a whole day masking and painting. Oh well, too late now.

Anyways, let me know if you posted pictures, I want to check out the SEM stuff myself.
Old 02-13-08, 11:22 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats nice to hear! whered you get that stuff? sounds like something id be interested in when i start to dye my interior. definitely subscribed!
Old 02-13-08, 11:57 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, very nice! Best of luck on a great turnout.
Old 02-14-08, 01:24 AM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
thats nice to hear! whered you get that stuff? sounds like something id be interested in when i start to dye my interior. definitely subscribed!
Folia-Tec has been around for a long time now. I first seen them in a 1996 Super Street Mag. Back then they were advertising Paint for brake calipers. Stuff is a bit expensive, but wow they look great. Thats what people used to use when 2 tone color interior was in. Just about every Honda was doing it.
Old 02-14-08, 05:17 AM
swaqqa
Driver

What kinda clear coat do you use?
Old 02-14-08, 05:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool, I also bought SEMs (like the guy mentioned before) for my black conversion. I cant wait to do it.

What did you do about headliner? Also what are you doing about the lettering on the buttons for the Climate control and the Radio volume? Did you paint over them?
Old 02-14-08, 05:49 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swaqqa
What kinda clear coat do you use?
Everything I used was Folia-Tec stuff. The primer, base paint, and clear. The only thing that I didn't use that Folia-Tec had was the cleaning spray. I knew it was just better to use Dawn dish washing detergent since it gets rid of grease and grime the same way....plus, it's a lot cheaper. I got the paint at a discount since my friend sold it at his shop, which helped me keep cost really low. My total on this project so far is $82. Whereas I have seen people pay upwards of $100+ for black parts.
Old 02-14-08, 05:51 AM
swaqqa
Driver

Originally Posted by romeo291
Everything I used was Folia-Tec stuff. The primer, base paint, and clear. The only thing that I didn't use that Folia-Tec had was the cleaning spray. I knew it was just better to use Dawn dish washing detergent since it gets rid of grease and grime the same way....plus, it's a lot cheaper. I got the paint at a discount since my friend sold it at his shop, which helped me keep cost really low. My total on this project so far is $82. Whereas I have seen people pay upwards of $100+ for black parts.
Thanks. Definetly subscribed!
Old 02-14-08, 06:01 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

what color black did you use cause i know that people that use SEM use a satin black.

Quick Reply: Changing my interior from tan to black (pix included)