SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sometimes It Just Doesn't Pay To Leave The House

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 12:58 AM
juiSCee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah man, that sucks bro. do what you got to do man. he also did attempt a hit and run. it wasnt until you caught up to him that he stopped. and him being scared to get the police involved, that sends shady signals all over the place. good luck.
Old 02-19-08, 01:26 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Been in a few accidents over the years, so my 2 pennies:
  • FILE a police report! It does not obligate you to follow through but it makes your claim more legitimate. When you have to go to the last recourse of involving the insurance company or the courts, you have PROOF on your side. That is worth gold. Most police don't even bother to do a report for a "lowly" accident these days.
  • FILE a claim w/ your insurance company. Once again, it's a paper trail. Until you get an official estimate (thru the insurance people), it pretty much stops there. Meaning, unless and until you collect some $$$ frm the insurance co., this accident doesn't really show up on your records.
  • Get an estimate WITHOUT involving the insurance co. At least you'll know how much to accept frm that loser!

The shortcut: get your insurance co. involved. Let it chase down the other party! That's why you pay those insur. premiums. You can pocket the $$$ frm the insurance + decide when/if you will do repairs.

What is your reason for waiting? One week is too long already.

Disclaimer: personal experience in California in 1990's. Talk to your agent for current + local procedures.
Old 02-19-08, 09:16 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate stoopid-*** criminals like this who don't take responsibility. Idiot probably didn't even have insurance on his heap. The idiot might go to that club sometimes or often. I'd definitely get the police involved now. Tell the police he tried to do a hit and run but you got his plates. It might be a felony even, not sure. I'm usually not of big fan of the police because they're normally jerks but we pay their salary and a crime was committed.
Old 02-19-08, 09:25 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

time for another judge judy anyone? anyone? =]
if you have his plates.. it should be easy to track him down. well i mean easier then having nothing.

but a lesson learned.. never trust someone that tried to do a hit n run hahaha...
Old 02-19-08, 02:29 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always go through insurance....less hassles
Old 02-19-08, 02:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by labrealiv
Been in a few accidents over the years, so my 2 pennies:
  • FILE a police report! It does not obligate you to follow through but it makes your claim more legitimate. When you have to go to the last recourse of involving the insurance company or the courts, you have PROOF on your side. That is worth gold. Most police don't even bother to do a report for a "lowly" accident these days.
  • FILE a claim w/ your insurance company. Once again, it's a paper trail. Until you get an official estimate (thru the insurance people), it pretty much stops there. Meaning, unless and until you collect some $$$ frm the insurance co., this accident doesn't really show up on your records.
  • Get an estimate WITHOUT involving the insurance co. At least you'll know how much to accept frm that loser!

The shortcut: get your insurance co. involved. Let it chase down the other party! That's why you pay those insur. premiums. You can pocket the $$$ frm the insurance + decide when/if you will do repairs.

What is your reason for waiting? One week is too long already.

Disclaimer: personal experience in California in 1990's. Talk to your agent for current + local procedures.

Ha, How much deductible is on the insurance will be the question then.
To me, the damage is not over 500, which is most people get. Insurance company does not chase down the other party unless the paid for the damage.
thus, the damage has to be over the deductible, and you need to fix your car under your own is first.
ONce insurance chase down the other party, and if they didn't have ins at the time, your ins co can't do anything and very less likey to go through the court to after the person who hit you, since it is not cost effective.
After all, you can't get your deductible back. Well, at least it is not chargeable to you.

Like I said, good luck.
Old 02-19-08, 04:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Dude, the same thing happened to me man.
I spent days and days trying to find a solution.

filing a police report does nothing but help you on your insurance.
If you can file a no faul on your insurance you will have a lower deductable and your insurance may not go up.

what I did was after talking to the police, they said that minor accidents hardly ever get resolved by them, i googled liscense plate and found about a 100 companies that will give you someones name, number, and adress based on their liscense plates.

are you with me so far?

then you try and contact them with their real phone number, if not you can find the car or try to get a hold of them, if all that still fails you now have a full legal name and the owner of the car is responsible NO MATTER WHO WAS DRIVING IT. you catch my drift now.

usually all it takes is one scary letter you can write yourself saying your going to sue them if they do not pay up, and/or persue legal action.

for me the guy was so shocked that I called him on his real phone that he had no idea what to say and a few days later i recieved a phat check.

the police cannot give out information on nother vehicle unless it was purely a hit and run, and even if you talk to the guy for a second it is not legally a hit and run.

KNOW YOUR LAWS!!! and GET EVEN!!!
if you need any help pm me

oh yeah insurance said they wouldnt track the person down, it wasnt worth it to them.
they rather make me just pay for it.
Old 02-19-08, 05:06 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

When some dumb chick backed into me, the FIRST thing I did was call the cops. Not just because of rage, but harming a SC should be a separate crime in itself.

Can I get an amen?
Old 02-19-08, 05:12 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TroySC300
When some dumb chick backed into me, the FIRST thing I did was call the cops. Not just because of rage, but harming a SC should be a separate crime in itself.

Can I get an amen?
LOL thats funny
Old 02-20-08, 03:37 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by TroySC300

Can I get an amen?
You MAY get an "amen" -

but still

what does "dumb" and "chick" have to do with something called an ACCIDENT?!!

Just curious...

Should we have a poll: how many high IQ babes are accident-free (and not in the "Knocked Up" or "Juno" sense either!!!!)?
Old 02-20-08, 09:24 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

check the statue of liimitation for u city as long as u have a police report u cn sue him in small claims that what i am doing for my winshied thats 336.00 to fix and my door is 2100
Old 02-20-08, 11:24 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

One time a woman who worked at a bank (not a teller but one who has a desk) hit my old Civic. She wanted to do the same bypass insurance thing so I went along with it. I felt I could trust her to give me the money because she seemed like a good person. I got a few estimates and ended up getting $300 from her and not repairing it because it wasn't that bad. Some people you can trust, some you can't. If someone would do a hit-and-run, then they would likely try to run from another problem they had, like giving someone money for damage they caused.
Old 02-20-08, 11:57 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
Wow man that really sucks. Once he left you were screwed, I can't believe how many people fall for the "lets settle this outside of insurance."
Hold on nick, I had a similar situation when my wife had her LS. A guy trieed to go into the turning lane but there wasn't enough space and the side of his car put a HUGE scratch in the bumper. He said the oh-so popular " lets settle without cops or insurance" and we drovr to the ATM and he gave me $350 on the spot. I went home and used Goof-off on the scratch, there was no damage and I pocketed the dough. I guess i'm lucky.