SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Headlight issues (condensation) - I can't fix this ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08 | 11:58 PM
Lu Scola
Rookie

Is there a link to how i can remove my headlight. I have the same passenger side condesation problem. Thanks
Old 03-19-08 | 12:01 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

^Please bro, search.....you will find what you are looking for with searching.
Old 04-09-08 | 04:23 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
bringing back something old, what do you guys use to seal up that big gaping hole right behind the projectors? I'm so sick of pulling out the headlights and resealing them...my family is starting to think i'm crazy putting headlight in the oven every week
Old 04-09-08 | 04:49 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

I reused the rubber boot from the old projector, but there is still a gap around the plug. the other day I went for a car wash and I got some intense condensation in the passenger headlight most likely from improper seal, cause while I was doing the retro things wouldnt fit right so I had to repeatedly reheat and pry apart. so I think im going to rip them apart one last time and use the silica packs, then reseal them properly by removing the old gunk and then use silicone. If it still fogs im gonna get a pipe end cap and drill a hole through the back for the wire then seal that around the back of the projector. gonna do this probably in the next few weeks so i'll let you know. unless you solve the problem before me, then you should let me know.
Old 04-09-08 | 04:55 PM
Kaydee

yea the stock rubber boot is so useless i threw it out. i was looking at customlightz and they have this sweet rubber cap that should end my misery...i hate rain!!!

Old 04-09-08 | 05:46 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

there still looks like theres a gap around the connector and boot, that's basically how mine looks at the moment. I think after I reseal the clear lense to the housing things will be fine. my driver side is holding strong. I only took that side apart once and the job was done. sucks for you to have to deal with the constant rain.
Old 04-09-08 | 07:39 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
bringing back something old, what do you guys use to seal up that big gaping hole right behind the projectors? I'm so sick of pulling out the headlights and resealing them...my family is starting to think i'm crazy putting headlight in the oven every week
same thing with me, everyone was actually looking forward to my baking skills with the headlight every weekend to fight condensation. it's been 3 weeks now since i drilled all the small holes in the black housing and it has been raining off and on for 2 weeks...PROBLEM SOLVED, crystal clear all the time, even after raining or a car wash.
Old 04-09-08 | 08:02 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

I just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in ... especially those who recommended that I search for threads on the subject. I spent weeks searching ... that's why I tried OLT's headlight "baking" technique.

I just wanted to say that I SOLVED the problem ... no more condensation.

The solution? I followed some advice within this thread (and others) to try silica packets. I inserted a number of them between the black headlight case and reflector and the condensation disappeared within two days ... and has not reappeared since.

Thanks for the advice about the silica gel packs ...
Old 04-09-08 | 10:09 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

What worries me about drilling holes in the bottom of the headlight is that its more open to dust from driving and mist getting in when it rains because I removed the intake snorkel and installed an aftermaket cone, so now there is a direct path from the vent beside my foglight to the underside of the headlight and intake.
Old 04-10-08 | 03:40 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

I've done the retrofit on my headlights and have not had condensation problems. I would definitely advise against drilling holes in the housing as that may allow it to vent but will also let more dust and debris get in. I didn't even use the silica packets. I just made sure to use a liberal amount of black hi-temp silicone all around the lense before I sealed, and another bead of silicone around the lense after squeezing the lense against the housing. Took it to a high pressure carwash to test it out after it cured and no leaks.
After doing headlight modifications as a side job for over 25 S2000s, an Accord, a WRX, and lastly my own Lexus, none of them have had condensation problems.

So put those drills away and toss the silica gel packets, a properly sealed headlight doesn't need any of those things.
Old 04-10-08 | 03:50 PM
Kaydee

do you happen to have pics of what the back of the headlight look like? i'm about to seal the gap behind the projectors but i'm just wondering if it'll be a PITA to remove the bulb just in case it goes out
Old 04-10-08 | 04:17 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

What is that rectangle piece on the headlight? I've never seen that before.

RE: Condensation, I'd advise against drilling holes in the housings. I'd replace the vent tube filters with some new foam and use silica gel packs to minimise condensation.
Old 04-10-08 | 07:41 PM
Kaydee

rectangle? you mean the glass? if so, that's where they kept the water thing for beam adjustment

a question, if i ignore the condensation, will it do damage to the electrical stuff?

Last edited by Kaydee; 04-10-08 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-10-08 | 07:49 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Oh right. The JDM ones don't have that rectangle thing on them.

The headlights in my car fog up all the time (no vent tubes) but I've had no electrical problems from that.
Old 04-10-08 | 08:18 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
I've done the retrofit on my headlights and have not had condensation problems. I would definitely advise against drilling holes in the housing as that may allow it to vent but will also let more dust and debris get in. I didn't even use the silica packets. I just made sure to use a liberal amount of black hi-temp silicone all around the lense before I sealed, and another bead of silicone around the lense after squeezing the lense against the housing. Took it to a high pressure carwash to test it out after it cured and no leaks.
After doing headlight modifications as a side job for over 25 S2000s, an Accord, a WRX, and lastly my own Lexus, none of them have had condensation problems.

So put those drills away and toss the silica gel packets, a properly sealed headlight doesn't need any of those things.
whats brand of silicone do you use?

Quick Reply: SC400 Headlight issues (condensation) - I can't fix this ...