SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help with an interior rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 08:27 PM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with an interior rattle

I've only driven my 96 SC400 a few times, but I've noticed a rattle in the passenger side, sounds like it's coming from between the seat and the door.

It sounds like a small pebble inside an empty aluminum can being shaken once or twice. It only happens on certain bumps when the passenger side tires hit the bump.

I've looked and can't find anything that would make a noise, but there are so many motors under the seat, it hard to say. There certainly isn't any garbage or anything under the seat.

The seat might be the wrong place to look, but it sounds like it's from that area. Since it only does it on certain rare bumps, I can't locate it.

I know that this is a strange question, but I'm hoping it sounds familiar to somebody, and they know exactly what it is and has fixed it.

Any takers?
Old 03-19-08, 09:04 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same prob with my SC as well. I found the rattle was from a combination of sources. The front seats for one, being that they're pretty old, the gears get loose and tend to squeak over bumpy roads. But the main source of the annoying rattling sounds I found were coming from the rear side panels and the rear seat itself. Only thing I can say is try removing the rear panels and rear seat and see if the rattling goes away. If it does, then you know which panels to pad when you put them back.
Old 03-19-08, 09:09 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
I have the same prob with my SC as well. I found the rattle was from a combination of sources. The front seats for one, being that they're pretty old, the gears get loose and tend to squeak over bumpy roads. But the main source of the annoying rattling sounds I found were coming from the rear side panels and the rear seat itself. Only thing I can say is try removing the rear panels and rear seat and see if the rattling goes away. If it does, then you know which panels to pad when you put them back.
Yupp, that was exactly what my rattle was too. I thought it was the rear seat, I figured it was loose or something. But when I was taking my rear panels out looking for the FCC-ID (for the remote start) I noticed that one of the clips for my panels simply wasn't clipped in.
Lol that did away with the major rattle, but now I'm noticing a bunch of small ones here and there.. haha
Old 03-19-08, 09:30 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, oh the joys of owning a car over a decade old.. (-_-)
Old 03-20-08, 12:41 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Haha, oh the joys of owning a car over a decade old.. (-_-)
Couldnt of said it better

Old 03-20-08, 08:11 AM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips, I hoped that some have already dealt with this.

I agree on decade old cars. It would have been fun to drive this new, but kids and practicality won out back then and I had a 96 LS. Don't need a backseat anymore, and didn't like the SC430 as well, so I got the lowest mile 400 I could find.