SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Yet another Weight Reduction Topic

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 04:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never really bought into this whole lowering the weight of the car thing.

You want to lose weight? Get rid of your TRAC, EGR, cruise control and there is a good 100lbs.

Change out your calipers for some Wilwoods - another 100lbs.

Bam - 200lbs and you didn't have to remove anything from your interior

Jonny
Old 03-28-08, 11:04 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I have never really bought into this whole lowering the weight of the car thing.
Yeah, not like it improves acceleration, braking, handling, gas mileage, and reduces stress on parts or anything.

Bam - 200lbs and you didn't have to remove anything from your interior

Jonny
If I told you what my car weighed with full interior and 1/4 tank of gas you probably wouldn't believe me. Simply swapping in Supra seats dropped a good 70-80 lbs. from the car. You can definitely drop the weight of the car significantly without having a stripped out tin can, if you're selective about it.
Old 03-28-08, 11:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

ooh, lightweight battery is a good one indeed.

and a well painted CF hood looks like OEM, except to the keenest of observers.
Old 03-28-08, 11:42 AM
Checkk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you willing to drop money to reduce the weight? We all know on our SCs that the Doors, Hood, and Trunk are pretty damn Heavy. Seibon makes replacement parts in Carbon Fiber for all of them. I'm pretty sure you can shed off tons of weight by going Carbon Fiber.
Old 03-28-08, 12:38 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
ooh, lightweight battery is a good one indeed.

and a well painted CF hood looks like OEM, except to the keenest of observers.
Depending on what you have electronics-wise in the car, a good alternative to the really expensive lightweight batteries is an O'Reillys battery for a Seadoo. Only costs like $60-70ish I think and has similar ratings to the expensive Odyssey/etc. ones.
Old 03-28-08, 02:27 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Checkk
Are you willing to drop money to reduce the weight? We all know on our SCs that the Doors, Hood, and Trunk are pretty damn Heavy. Seibon makes replacement parts in Carbon Fiber for all of them. I'm pretty sure you can shed off tons of weight by going Carbon Fiber.
If you have the money use Dry carbon. its way lighter then any other carbon.

Last edited by DoriSaru15; 03-28-08 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-08, 04:15 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a battery for a Honda Civis SI . Was around $90.00, also smaller for more room underhood. My old battery was dead. Had to make a shim for the battery hold down. Talking about rotating mass, Ive haerd there can be a few pounds per tire from one manufacturer to the other. Soon as my tires wear out Ill def. be checking weights.
Old 03-31-08, 07:04 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Anyone know what the original OEM lexus sc battery weighed ?
Old 03-31-08, 08:00 PM
wooziewest
Driver

When filling the tires with helium or nitrogen or whatever they fill it with to make it lighter, do u need special tires or are normal ones fine? How much weight does this drop?
Old 03-31-08, 08:19 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wooziewest
When filling the tires with helium or nitrogen or whatever they fill it with to make it lighter, do u need special tires or are normal ones fine? How much weight does this drop?

????????????????????????????????
Old 03-31-08, 08:34 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wooziewest
It wont drop weight significantly but will help with gas mileage, tire pressure stays consistent when temp changes.

However, we're talking about a weight difference of less than 4 percent of the gas in the tire, in other words, a difference of less than an ounce for most vehicles
Old 04-01-08, 04:24 PM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

Dont put carbon doors on it if you plan on DD-ing the thing. My girlfriend and I both have SC300's, she got t-boned in mine by a suburban and walked away without a scratch and the door that was hit still opens thanks to the huge side impact beam and over built (IMO) door. If you were to get t-boned with CF doors they would drive right through your car. That would be way unsafe. Not to mention they are like $2200 from seibon. Get a hood and/or trunk, I wouldn't mess with teh sun roof as it is a pita for not too much weight saving.

I stripped down my whole interior as it was junk, there are a ton of things that are heavy that can be removed.

Under the glove box is a huge heat shield for the a/c that i pulled out (the thing is steel and prob weighs 15lbs). I dumped the factory amplifier and the disc changer. Don't bother removing the rear seats as they weigh almost nothing. Pulling up the sound mat only drops you less than 10 lbs and makes the car way noisy inside and is a pain.

Really all in all i prob droped about 150 lbs but my car is a skeleton inside, I dont have a/c, no carpet, headliner, and door pannels or side molding, most of the dash is gone, no center console. The seats are the heaviest thing in the interior and make a big difference.
Old 04-01-08, 04:38 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sakura_Pro
Dont put carbon doors on it if you plan on DD-ing the thing. My girlfriend and I both have SC300's, she got t-boned in mine by a suburban and walked away without a scratch and the door that was hit still opens thanks to the huge side impact beam and over built (IMO) door. If you were to get t-boned with CF doors they would drive right through your car. That would be way unsafe. Not to mention they are like $2200 from seibon. Get a hood and/or trunk, I wouldn't mess with teh sun roof as it is a pita for not too much weight saving.

I stripped down my whole interior as it was junk, there are a ton of things that are heavy that can be removed.

Under the glove box is a huge heat shield for the a/c that i pulled out (the thing is steel and prob weighs 15lbs). I dumped the factory amplifier and the disc changer. Don't bother removing the rear seats as they weigh almost nothing. Pulling up the sound mat only drops you less than 10 lbs and makes the car way noisy inside and is a pain.

Really all in all i prob droped about 150 lbs but my car is a skeleton inside, I dont have a/c, no carpet, headliner, and door pannels or side molding, most of the dash is gone, no center console. The seats are the heaviest thing in the interior and make a big difference.
Have you ever had your car on a scale? I'd be interested to see how my selective weight reduction has compared to your less...refined approach.
Old 04-01-08, 06:15 PM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

When we bought the SC it was a theft recovery, so interior was shot... then we got a super good deal on a second one and this one got smashed so i decided to track **** this one and make the new one nice. I may end up pulling the entire dash out as well.

You would be surprised about how much this stuff weighs!
The seats have to be at least 50 or 60 lbs each. It was tough to pull them out by myself.

I would love to weigh it for comparison.
Old 04-01-08, 08:36 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

drivers seat with heat is almost 70lb and passanger seat is about 60-65lb.

i just reinstalled my JIC seat and weighed both before install. the JIC seat with the seat slider was only 27lb. i used a regular floor scale so the numbers might be off by a few pounds but its still a considerable difference.

when i go to drift day on april 27th i will strip out my whole interior and tell you guy what every component weighs. i drifted my car last season bone stock. i will try to do it this year will less weight.

btw the hood is heavy. trunk is okay. doors are monsters.

Quick Reply: Yet another Weight Reduction Topic