SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is It Recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 07:56 AM
page2two
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Recommended?

Is it recommended that if Chassis wire is damaged (Melted) to replace or get rid of the car and start over?

What are your views on this?

My Chassis wire is melted but I purchased all these parts to go on the car but now will have to either PART with the car or Replace chassis wire. Help????

Suggestions needed....
Old 03-30-08, 08:24 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would recommend replace the whole wiring harness, from my past experiences i believe that is the best.
Old 03-30-08, 09:19 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

melting harnesses summon the wiring gremlins which will plague you for the rest of your days. Get a new harness and you'll thank me
Old 03-30-08, 10:11 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Goes without saying to make certain you know what did it before replacing the harness.

I think I am one of the few who have stripped the harness in complete form from an SC, I mean every single wire. Have it sitting in my storage building, not really sure why
Old 03-30-08, 10:24 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u will have major malfuntions on ur car and it will kill or damage ur engine get a new harness ASAP
Old 03-30-08, 11:03 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what exactly happened? pix?

i would repair it.

i think i might have an sc300 and sc400 harnesses. the sc300 is a 95 and sc400 is a 93. i dont know if the chassis harnesses are same though.
Old 03-30-08, 11:26 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really depends on the damage I suppose. Time would be a factor too, but if the damage was slight, I would just repair it. But if time were a factor, I'd buy a new harness, double check the ENTIRE harness, figure out what killed your previous harness, then just replace it.

Checking and replacing a harness will let you know that it will last for a least a decade under normal condition.

Oh and 5speed, how much for the 93 chassis harness?
Old 03-30-08, 12:06 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it depends where it was damaged, and the extent of the damage.

If it's under hood and severe, replace.
Under hood and minor, repair.
Under dash and severe, replace.
Under dash and minor, repair.
Anywhere from the dash back and severe, repair.

Don't mess around with just looking at the wires and trying to match them up. Go spend the money and get a factory wiring book for your exact year. Study it, and get good at reading it, then go ahead and repair it. Don't cheap out on wire and only get a few colours, get as many colours as you can, and if you can't match the factory wire colours, take notes of what you connected to what. This of course all depends on your budget and how much spare time you have.

Rich, excellent social life, good job, no free time, replace.
Poor, no friends, no job, lots of free time, repair.
Old 03-30-08, 12:25 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
It really depends on the damage I suppose. Time would be a factor too, but if the damage was slight, I would just repair it. But if time were a factor, I'd buy a new harness, double check the ENTIRE harness, figure out what killed your previous harness, then just replace it.

Checking and replacing a harness will let you know that it will last for a least a decade under normal condition.

Oh and 5speed, how much for the 93 chassis harness?
ill get back to you during the week. you need an 93 sc400 chassis harness right?
Old 03-31-08, 06:58 AM
page2two
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all. Yes I have a 93 so i need that year or up. I had damage from an amp wire that ran past the computer and OOOOOOHHHHHH I think that is why my windows and sunroof is not working, plus it damaged the computer, I meant burnt it, and damaged my second engine, now on the third motor for this car. It caused injector #5 to dump fuel into the engine and was GUZZLING gas. Ate up my bearings, and engine was filled with copper. I got the problem fixed now by a bypass, but I am not spending anymore money on this car. This vehicle has ran me 10,000 dollars in 2 years and I have nothing to show for it. BAD KARMA....I am parting out. I am selling and maybe starting over. Anyone interested? I cannot afford to loose my home over a car. $3500.00 with TURBO KIT, ROOF WING, RIMS, WALBRO FUEL PUMP AND ALL. I am tired of this. It is like I could never seem to get this finished. If anyone interested email me page2two@yahoo.com. Or Private message here. Atleast you can use it for a race car. The turbo is a T70, wastegate 50mm, 255l fuel pump, ENGINE is a used SUPRA NON TURBO motor with ECU (I saw them put it in) lol. Which ran me freakin 2700.00 for install. So the old engine is out and the used is in. The motor came out of a 98 supra 74,000 orig miles. the car runs good now but no power to windows and sunroof.
Old 03-31-08, 12:05 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

MELVIN!!! glad your on here buddy. i have good news. I also can provide you with the wiring harnesses to get yours back on the road, give me a call asap.