SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Custom "Racing" seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 12:30 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom "Racing" seat

One of the first steps I'm looking at to reduce the weight of my car is to swap the front bucket seats. From what I've read, it seems the passenger side weighs about 60-65 lbs and the driver's side weighs about 65-70 lbs. I want to keep my car looking as stock as possible, and I like the seats I got right now. They're soft and in excellent condition. Most important, they match the rest of the interior. I'm basically looking to try and drop the weight from the OEM seats, the power, memory unit, and heating, all stuff that I don't use or need anyways. There is one seat that I'm looking at which I think my be able to accomplish this, Corbeau's Sport Seat:
http://www.corbeau.com/products/sport/sport.shtml

They weigh only 23 lbs each which would drop a good 80-90 lbs off my car's curb weight. I've already removed my spare tire (50 lbs) and I drive on 1/2 tank (60 lbs) so with this final mod, I'm expecting my car to perform much better than it did originally. The question I need to know is if its possible to buy these seats, strip their cushioning, and mount the cushioning from my OEM seats onto their frame? Another question I got is if there are any companies out there that just sell lightweight seat "frames" which I could built and mount the OEM cushioning onto?

Last edited by Brendon; 03-31-08 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 12:13 AM
xx69xx
Lead Lap

Sounds like it would take a lot of time and money for this. Have you considered supra seats? They weigh less and look like they belong. If your really trying to save weight without taking away luxuries try getting carbon fiber hood and trunk painted of course. Some gramlites and your set.
Old 04-01-08, 12:25 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try getting some CF doors. Your doors are super heavy.
Old 04-01-08, 10:10 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Money wise, it would actually be much cheaper than swapping something else in. These seats cost only $219 each uncovered. Most other racing seats in this price range both lack the recliner and look pretty tacky. I'm sure getting leather covering will also add up. As for the Supra seats, I was considering them, but they're pretty hard to find and they don't save you that much weight (15-20 lbs each at most). They're also expensive, unless I buy one that's got the leather all scuffed up and dirty. Like I said, the seats in my car right now are soft and clean and they look factory new

CF is the second stage I'm planning on doing after the seats. CF's rediculously expensive though. An unpainted hood can cost $600+ and the doors are around $1000 each, so I'd rather start with the seats for now. When I'm out of college and I got a higher paying job, then I'll consider stuff like that.
Old 04-01-08, 01:23 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
Money wise, it would actually be much cheaper than swapping something else in. These seats cost only $219 each uncovered. Most other racing seats in this price range both lack the recliner and look pretty tacky. I'm sure getting leather covering will also add up. As for the Supra seats, I was considering them, but they're pretty hard to find and they don't save you that much weight (15-20 lbs each at most). They're also expensive, unless I buy one that's got the leather all scuffed up and dirty. Like I said, the seats in my car right now are soft and clean and they look factory new

CF is the second stage I'm planning on doing after the seats. CF's rediculously expensive though. An unpainted hood can cost $600+ and the doors are around $1000 each, so I'd rather start with the seats for now. When I'm out of college and I got a higher paying job, then I'll consider stuff like that.
just do supra seat for christ sake. your trying to reinvent the wheel. you wont save that much weight vs. the cost of things. i have a JIC bucket seat in my car. the driver seat weighed in at 70lb and my new JIC weighed in at 27lb. its black cloth and my car is tan leather. i dont care about keeping it looing stock and the seat only cost me 80 bucks(they retail for 550ish).

CF is not worth it. if you want a better performing car that is better on gas and looks stock get a 240sx. they are a lot lighter and better on gas. i know cuz i have one and plenty of friends with them too.

CF doors are a no no on a daily driving car unless you have a full roll cage. they will not hold up to a t-bone collision. the ones they sell for 1000/per door are crap. they are just decorational and look cool and lighter then stock. a lot lighter then stock.

i still dont understand your goals with the SC. what do you want out of it. if you want it to be a luxury fast car do an engine swap. that way you can get decent MPG, retain ALL the luxuries, and have a quicker far.

you gotta rethink your gameplan...so far it doesnt seem like you know what to do and where to waste your money. youre kinda of all over the place.

btw those seats that you have a link posted to are cheap until you have them reupholstered to fit your car. then you will also have to buy a seat bracket to mount it to your car. the seat is 23lb. the seat bracket is at least 10lb. thats 33lb per seat. the supra seats arent much off from that. save you money and dont be lazy. find some supra seats and call it a day.
Old 04-03-08, 04:50 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

I found a seller on eBay selling some JDM SC300 non-powered cloth seats:

GOOD FOR YOU, DON'T LINK IT.

Does anyone know how much do these weigh in comparison to powered ones?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-03-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-03-08, 04:54 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
I found a seller on eBay selling some JDM SC300 non-powered cloth seats:

GOOD FOR YOU, DON'T LINK IT.

Does anyone know how much do these weigh in comparison to powered ones?
ask the seller. he will have to weigh them prior to shipping anyways
Old 04-03-08, 05:45 PM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

yeah,,, there are super nice people at Jarco.
Old 04-03-08, 05:51 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My Supra seats are ~30 lbs. each and look like they could've come with the car.
Old 04-03-08, 06:41 PM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

I saw those cloth soarer seats on EBAY +200 jdm points hahha. Corbeau seats are nice... I have a clubman in my rizzle. It weighs nothing... like less than 20lbs and its sweet i think for the money, it was like $200.
Old 04-04-08, 12:07 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get supra seats.. they look stock and are light, the money you spend on the seats plus rewrap and all that crap will NOT be worth it.
Old 04-18-08, 02:06 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

I was thinking about the Supra seats, but they're uber-hard to find plus they cost a lot when you do find them.

An update on my status with this swap: Well I did go ahead and purchased those pair of JDM non-powered seats of eBay. They're black cloth, so I'm in the process of swapping over my stock tan leather cushions onto these seats. So far, I've started working on the driver's seat. I'll post the progress as it goes. Here's a pic of what out seats look like stripped to their bare frames:

I weighed myself+seat at 199.0 lbs, and then weighed myself at 159 lbs so these JDM non-powered seats weigh about 40 lbs each. When I remove the powered one next week, I'll be sure to weigh them. Most estimates run about 70-75 lbs. With this JDM swap, I'm looking to shave a good 60-70 lbs off the car's curb weight.
Old 04-19-08, 03:37 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

keep posted, i just swapped out for RSX seats, they weigh half what the stockers do and kinda look like tan recaros
Old 04-19-08, 07:33 AM
nolexhere
Driver

You could have done s2000 seats that's what I wanted to do until the deal fell through on the sc. I don't know what they weigh exactly but I do know it will be atleast $500 to get them.
Old 04-19-08, 10:18 AM
JustinOlso
Driver School Candidate

S2000 seats are around @25lbs each. They are very nice IMO.

Justin

Quick Reply: Custom "Racing" seat