SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

airbag swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 11:00 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default airbag swap

so i got a single stage airbag with steering wheel for my sc, however the plugs dont match, i went online and found out i need an adaptor for it to work, the part number is 09082-00760. The problem now is that this plug has been discontinued, so how do you guys swap steering wheels now? please help, my brick steering wheel is disgusting....
Old 04-02-08, 01:59 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

anyone know???
Old 04-02-08, 02:08 PM
rublex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine here:

http://toyota.spx.com/

It took like a month to get here, but it did finally arrive. Give them a call and see what they say.
Old 04-02-08, 02:11 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

sounds good gota wait a month tho
Old 04-03-08, 01:44 AM
Kilo
Instructor

try Carson Toyota. Call them up, tell em what airbag you are working with. They should be able to help you out.
Old 04-03-08, 10:51 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

they dont have it, its a lexus special service tool. not availiable from toyota. i called lexus and they wont get it.
Old 04-03-08, 10:59 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I am pretty sure you can take the plug off your old airbag and splice it to your new airbag. My only problem is that I don't know which wire goes with which. there's two of them, I have a 50/50 chance. I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet. I don't want to risk setting off the airbag although I doubt it will set it off if I have the wires crossed, but you never know.
Old 04-03-08, 11:22 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

lol that was kinda my concern too... 50/50 chance is not good enough for me. the two wires are the same color (yellow). maybe you should run a 12 volt and give it a try? (LOL im joking dont do it, ull deploy it).
Old 04-03-08, 11:26 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
lol that was kinda my concern too... 50/50 chance is not good enough for me. the two wires are the same color (yellow). maybe you should run a 12 volt and give it a try? (LOL im joking dont do it, ull deploy it).
haha, I know you were kidding dude . I actually have different color wires on mine's. But regardless, I can't seem to figure out which goes to which.
Old 04-03-08, 11:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if one of you do end up doing it please record it for our viewing pleasure
Old 04-03-08, 12:00 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

oh trust me, im not going to attempt it... lol im not really good with wiring, and a airbag wiring wouldnt be a good place to start too dont you think? im going to wait for someone to do it... hopefully romeo here will give it a try
Old 04-03-08, 12:01 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

just emailed sewell lexus and this is what i got back from them, its the same response that i get by calling carson toyota and nearby lexus and toyota dealer.

This does not show to be a valid part number.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you,

Thank you,

Regan Alexander
Sewell Lexus
Old 04-18-08, 09:16 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

any resolution for the different plugs?
Old 04-19-08, 04:00 AM
spdngyns69
Driver School Candidate

sad to say, but i think that plug adapter doesn't exist. I have tried looking for it also with no luck. The only way is to snip, splice, solder/crimp, and heatshrink your existing SC connector to your new airbag. Unless you want to keep trying to find that discontinued part,

Here's how:

first, place the old (sc) airbag and new airbag next to each other.

second, make sure the wires are not twisted or anything on either airbags because most likely, wire colors wont match and you will end up soldering/crimping the wrong wires.

third, look inside the plugs. You will notice that the insides physically look the same connection wise. ( ie. top looks like " ll " and bottom looks like " _ " )

fourth, Snip the (SC's) plug first then transfer old plug in the same orientation to the new airbag. make a good connection, heatshrink and you're set!

NOTE: disregard wire colors or which direction the airbag plug "clips" onto the factory harness. I just did an IS300/rav4 airbag combo to my 95 SC3 and neither did the colors match or the direction the airbag plugs clips on to the original car's harness. For feedback, no airbag light or funny business on my car so far *crossing fingers*
Old 04-19-08, 04:37 AM
AKauto
Driver School Candidate

you should be able to switch the pug if the pins are the same. you should be able to disassemble the connector, that way you don't have to cut anything. but if thats not the case you should make sure you solder your connections, too much circuit resistance will set your airbag light, you should have .02-.03 ohms resistance if i'm not mistaken. about the wire color, i don't think it'll make a diffirence which way you go because all the system does to deploy an airbag is send an electric charge through an explosive charge in the air bag, it should be like a light bulb and light either way

Quick Reply: airbag swap