SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Legal Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 06:44 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Question

I have a quickie for you guys. I had a set of wheels off my old 2000 Volvo s80 that I was selling to this dude. I accepted his money and was going to send him the wheels but ended up deceiding not to sell the wheels afterall. Anyways, I sent his money back and now he wants me to buy him new wheels because he sold his old ones and his car is in his garage on blocks. He is claiming this is a breach of contract, but the deal was done outside of ebay. Does he have any grounds for this??? I think the guy is just a bone head.
Old 02-01-02, 08:17 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just venturing a guess but you could have entered an orally binding contract.... hmmm well don't put a whole lotta weight on my advice... I'm only 18 but my dad does get sued non stop, so it might be seen as an orally binding contract, but the fact that there is no clause in that contract that penalizes either party for breach of contract you might be able to fight it off. That's just the way i see it...

good luck.
Old 02-01-02, 11:56 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbulb

He's going to take you to "Judge Mathis" and WIN!!! Once you accepted his money, he owned the rims!!! The only thing you were supposed to do is send him HIS new rims... As Supra stated you all had a verbal contract.... which was sealed when you accepted the money... If he sold his wheels........................................................................................................................................

You will more than likey lose if he sues you... This is from a lawyer in IL/MS.... Not sure about MI...
Old 02-02-02, 07:51 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

well doesn't this suck
Old 02-02-02, 08:04 AM
joegolf
Rookie

Cool Our judicial system

Two issues:

1. Did you have a legally binding agreement. I believe yes. When money exchanged hands, I agree that the rims were now his property!

2. If he sues you, will you lose. I think you will definitely lose. But... that is where our judicial system sucks, or in this case, works in your favor. He wins in small claims court. You still don't give him the wheels. Basically, he would have to spend a fortune to collect on the judgment. He can't just come into your house and take the wheels. He simply has a judgment which is very difficult to enforce. He can lein your car or something, but by the time he pays lawyers, he would be better off just walking away.

Bottom line: I think yu should honor your agreemnt without him having to go to court. Whatis your word and honor worth?

Just my two cents.

Joe
Old 02-02-02, 08:40 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

The only contact we had was via email. And another note, I never cashed his check, turned around and sent it back to him. I just don't want tp part with the wheels now because I just found out my buddy is purchasing one of those cars and he wants the rims.
Old 02-02-02, 10:27 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Don't under estimate the power of email in court!! My friend sold some car parts to someone on the internet, all via email no ebay or anything, and didn't receive all of his money. He took the guy to small claims court and showed the judge the emails, and the judge accepted them as legal documents.... He won!
Old 02-02-02, 01:22 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Our judicial system

Originally posted by joegolf
Two issues:

1. Did you have a legally binding agreement. I believe yes. When money exchanged hands, I agree that the rims were now his property!

2. If he sues you, will you lose. I think you will definitely lose. But... that is where our judicial system sucks, or in this case, works in your favor. He wins in small claims court. You still don't give him the wheels. Basically, he would have to spend a fortune to collect on the judgment. He can't just come into your house and take the wheels. He simply has a judgment which is very difficult to enforce. He can lein your car or something, but by the time he pays lawyers, he would be better off just walking away.
#1 you are correct!!!

#2 He can get property WITHOUT a lawyer... because I got $2K judgement from dry cleaners that lost 3 suits. They tried to wait me out... I went and got the paper work to lein property.. The court WITHOUT a lawyer sent a deputy sheriff with a notice that I could take his(owners car) in 14 days if I was not paid it full.... I got my check the next business day...

My brother is a lawyer as he said you may keep the rims but you are going to have to buy him some new ones.... It's really your choice now......... Because you accepted the $$$ and he sold his rims is not going to help you when he sues you... plus he may try to get extra for a rental car since his car is not driveable, because of you breaching the agreement...

*Email coorespondence is very credible in small claims court.. But it varies from Judge to judge on how much the email info is worth...

Johnny tell your buddy to go to Discounttire.com
Old 02-04-02, 06:54 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The KEY factor here is....Did the buyer cancel the original order for the rims, or did you, the seller, back out.

If you backed out first...sorry, you gotta give him the rims- you have a contract. If he backed out, then no problem because he broke the contract, not you.
Old 02-04-02, 06:55 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I backed out, but I never cashed his check.
Old 02-04-02, 07:26 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What state do you live in? The civil laws do change radically when you go to different areas. But even though you didn't cash his check, it doesn't matter. You had an agreement to sell something at an agreed price. He paid, but you didn't deliver. Unless your state has a special clause about verbal contracts, then you must give him the rims; by law. He does have the right to sue you. The question is....will he. It costys $$$ to file a lawsuit. Even small claims is a couple of hundred out of pocket $$. In florida, loosing party pays all legal fees (including costs for supiena's [I know I can't spell] and documenting fees). If he is just some poor kid who had to scrape the $$ to get the rims, he most likely won't take you to court.

Me on the other hand, I know the law through stubborn experience and have sued many of people in Small claims court. Never lost once. So be careful. If this guy is smart, he can take you to court, and it will cost yYOU at least 500$over the cost of the rims if no lawyer is involved. If he takes you to civil court, then you can expect in the thousands for reasonable attorny's fees.

Good luck. Justy out of curiosity, Why did you back out of the deal?
Old 02-04-02, 07:33 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I backed out of the deal because my buddy just purchased the same car and I gave him the rims instead.
Old 02-04-02, 07:47 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Keith13b
What state do you live in? The civil laws do change radically when you go to different areas. But even though you didn't cash his check, it doesn't matter. You had an agreement to sell something at an agreed price. He paid, but you didn't deliver. Unless your state has a special clause about verbal contracts, then you must give him the rims; by law. He does have the right to sue you. The question is....will he. It costys $$$ to file a lawsuit.
In the state of MS, small claims court is only $50 bucks to sue someone and a day or half day off work Actually you can sue someone in civil court without a lawyer IF you can get the forms and know how to do it.
Old 02-04-02, 07:50 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JohnnySC
I backed out of the deal because my buddy just purchased the same car and I gave him the rims instead.
If he is really your buddy, tell him to return the rims. He should understand the situation.......

Or did he sell his ole' rims too? If so you may be up the creek...
Old 02-04-02, 08:13 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I am probably going to get the rims back from my buddy. The other guy is cranked because his car is on blocks in his garage.