SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

cleaning the center console's black shiny plastic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 08:20 AM
Erukian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning the center console's black shiny plastic

So this weekend I used some soft scrub to clean a lot of the leather in my car then went over it with meguiars leather conditioner.

When i got to the center console i noticed the soft scrub wouldn't clean up and shine the black plastic that goes from the ashtray all the way down to my lexus logo behind my shifter. I was going to go to plastix but i'm pretty sure that's too strong of an abrasive.

Any recommendations on good product that can remove scratches and restore the original shine of this now dull plastic? is plastix what I want to use?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-06-08, 09:09 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Erukian
So this weekend I used some soft scrub to clean a lot of the leather in my car then went over it with meguiars leather conditioner.

When i got to the center console i noticed the soft scrub wouldn't clean up and shine the black plastic that goes from the ashtray all the way down to my lexus logo behind my shifter. I was going to go to plastix but i'm pretty sure that's too strong of an abrasive.

Any recommendations on good product that can remove scratches and restore the original shine of this now dull plastic? is plastix what I want to use?

Thanks,
Joe

Soft Scrub is loaded with abrasives that are perfect for cleaning your sinks, etc. NOT your leather of plastic! Where did you get the idea to clean anything in your car with Soft Scrub? I use the Lexus (OEM) brand cleaner & Conditioner.

DO NOT use Soft Scrub on your plastics ... you might as well take sandpaper to them. You might as well use sandpaper ... Try using 303 Aerospace on it.

BTW, Plastix is for cleaning/polishing clear plastics ... not the center console.

Please search the forums (here and at other sites) before you do significant damage to your interior.
Old 04-06-08, 10:02 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ive actually heard soft scrub works great on leather.. when i was in the ls forums... there were guys that used it on their ls400's and it came out great. ... and for the center console.. maybe use "back to Black" the black restore thing?
Old 04-06-08, 10:55 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm.... If your leather is badly soiled, softscrub works wonders. I think it posted on here a long time ago. I used softscrub for my leather once the right after I bought my car
Old 04-06-08, 11:04 AM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexdud
Soft Scrub is loaded with abrasives that are perfect for cleaning your sinks, etc. NOT your leather of plastic! Where did you get the idea to clean anything in your car with Soft Scrub? I use the Lexus (OEM) brand cleaner & Conditioner.

DO NOT use Soft Scrub on your plastics ... you might as well take sandpaper to them. You might as well use sandpaper ... Try using 303 Aerospace on it.

BTW, Plastix is for cleaning/polishing clear plastics ... not the center console.

Please search the forums (here and at other sites) before you do significant damage to your interior.
Ermm, searching tells you to use softscrub on your soiled leather which yields great results.~!~
Old 04-06-08, 11:40 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexdud

LOL...I think you should search soft scrub on the forum. People do have mixed reviews about using the stuff. But it does yield some amazing results.
Old 04-06-08, 12:51 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Sorry ... but I would never use an abrasive kitchen cleaner on fine leather. My seats would have to be pretty well trashed before I would try anything like this.

What's next ... using fully strength bleach on your carpets?