SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Florida street racing...sc300turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 08:01 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida street racing...sc300turbo

Just happened to be watching a special on the news about street racing in south Florida, and who do they interview, but our very own SC300TURBO (Jeff)!

I'm just watching, and I'm like, wait a minute, I know who that is! lol

SR
Old 02-01-02, 09:00 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Ohh, that's funny. How does he always seem to work himself into those situations? Did you see his pics in Super Street, Steven? OK Jeff, where are you? Let's hear the story. Wiz, did you tape it?
Old 02-01-02, 09:58 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe someone with a video capture car could throw it up on the web... I've got the ins on a web server that sits on a dedicated T-1 -- It's my father's and I'm the IT Director's assistant -- I'd be willing to put it up there for ya'll. So Whiz did you tape it?
Old 02-01-02, 10:57 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the street racing scene there in Florida one where the cops fight it with every ounce of strength they have, like they do here? Someone gets T-Boned by a couple of dumb kids after watching Fast & Furious one too many times and you'll see "STREET RACING SCOURGE!!!!" If they knew how to use photoshop I'm sure they'd show a picture of a Honda running over a couple little kids or something.
However, earlier today I was racing a Boxster from 100 to about 130 on a big freeway down here.. fairly mature looking guy... but he was going so hard he almost missed the fact that there was a pickup in front of him.. I slowed so he could avoid but he ended up almost buying it a couple times avoiding cars to the right of him instead. I don't think he liked seeing me easily catching his "sports" car
Some people just don't think..
Old 02-02-02, 05:10 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

No, I didn't tape it (actually I don't even have a VCR now...I use Tivo and DVDs :/ ), but our local news puts the stories online. As soon as it's up I'll send you the link.

It was a two part thing, and they already have Thursday nights part up.

http://www.wfor.com/html/fastfurious.html

I guess by the end of today they'll put up last nights too. They do try to fight it, but there's just too many people/places to stop it all. The first nights made it sound pretty bad, but last nights was kinda funny. They interviewed some racers mom that comes out to watch every night. They interviewed a cop that said "they need to build a track for these guys" and kind of the theme of it was everyone talking about needing a track. It takes a couple hours to get to the closest track, so people use the street instead.

SR
Old 02-02-02, 11:43 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hehe, I feel sorry for those cops - the old Chevy cruisers ran low 16's in the 1/4 mile, and the Crown Victorias they use now run mid 17's. Chevrolet tried to sell departments V6 FWD Cavaliers as cop cars, lol.. those run like 20's in the quarter. The basic rule here is, if the cop hasn't seen your plate, plant it and head for the nearest exit. Works every time.
Old 02-02-02, 12:21 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey madmax......

please elaborate on that theory....
Old 02-02-02, 02:29 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
Hehe, I feel sorry for those cops - the old Chevy cruisers ran low 16's in the 1/4 mile, and the Crown Victorias they use now run mid 17's. Chevrolet tried to sell departments V6 FWD Cavaliers as cop cars, lol.. those run like 20's in the quarter. The basic rule here is, if the cop hasn't seen your plate, plant it and head for the nearest exit. Works every time.

I can't see how a little Cavalier with a v6 could run a 20sec quarter mile ?? it would have to weight 2 tons... but anyways ya cop cars today are worse than they were yrs ago .. the GM cars used to come with a LT1's .. fords are just ***** I thought the newer crown vic ran more of a mid 16 sec 1/4 ... MAX .. for your basic rules and how they work every time .. how many times are we talkin ? and only as you pass the cop parked on the side of a free way right?

cops are the largest legal organized gang (sometimes bullies) every

Excerpts from Popular Mechanics Magazine

"We mash the throttle to the floor. The rear tires blaze into a white haze and within seconds the speedometer is reading well over any jurisdiction's speed limit for a school zone. The timing lights say we covered the 1320 ft. in 15.72 seconds at 88.14 mph. Oddly, that's just about the same performance you'd get from an average family car. We think the calibration must be off on the timing equipment. After all, this is a Police Interceptor. We have the track official triple-check his timing equipment. He assures us our next run will be accurate. This time we run the regular Crown Victoria against the lights. We run through the lights in 15.68 seconds at 88.68 mph. How can this be? The civilian car is faster than the Interceptor? We frantically call our contact man demanding a Police Interceptor with the real cop engine. He hangs up on us. "
"We drive on, devastated, our lifelong image of the American police car shattered. These things aren't the hairy-chested, brawny supercars bristling with special equipment and features as we had always believed. In fact, our Police Interceptor test car is nothing more than a production car with blacked out trim and a jacked-up suspension-- as tame and sedate under the hood as its civilian brethern. Hell, it isn't even fast, we realize as we punch the throttle down hard."

-Popular Mechanics, April 2001
Page 89
Old 02-02-02, 02:38 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The local racetrack (Sears Point) has "Top the Cops" events where police officers from the area race their squad cars. They power brake and do burnouts like everyone else, and race hard. They race the "high school" section of racers, so when this happens my car is parked and I'm watching. Best LT1 Caprice did a 16.3, and the newer Crown Victoria cars most of the departments have now ran low 17 seconds. If a cop is stopped or going the other way, he doesn't have a prayer - of course most people just speed at a normal rate and the cop soon catches up.
Recognizing this, Ford has built this monstrous looking black interceptor car under the Lincoln marque, and I'd bet money that thing will be a police car. I forget the name but I saw it in Hot Rod a few months ago... looked like a nice car, reminded me of the LT-1 Impalas. It's really sad they raped the Impala and turned it into a V6 powered puller.. I liked them a lot.
Old 02-03-02, 09:27 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Ford has built this monstrous looking black interceptor car under the Lincoln marque, and I'd bet money that thing will be a police car. I forget the name but I saw it in Hot Rod a few months ago... looked like a nice car
I saw that car. It's called the Mercury Marauder. It's going to have a 300+hp version of the DOHC Cobra engine. I think it will be pretty bad ***.
Old 02-03-02, 10:25 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default yea.....

it's basically a mercury Marquis but all black, rims and tinted windows. It's supposed to be the lats stand of the marquis (thank god)
Old 02-04-02, 06:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just hope they don't get the new cobra engine.

390hp in a cop car would be pretty nasty.