SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: should I trade?
Hell No!
61.74%
Hell Yes!
38.26%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 12:07 AM
Strida
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not trade your SC for a "SKYLAME"
Old 04-09-08, 12:35 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

no..not for the r32..but if that were the r33..maybe..for the r34..YES! and for the r35......yeah.....GET REAL! hahhaha..but yea..id say no to the r32
Old 04-09-08, 12:58 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both cars are cool. I dunno, if I saw an R32 for the same price as my SC, I might do it. But not sure if you'd want to daily drive a Skyline GT-R... for various reasons, don't think it's as solid and reliable as an SC.

I think if I were to really get a Skyline GT-R, it would be at least an R33. Looks-wise, the R32 is the ugliest and the R35 is the nicest-looking, IMO. The R32 is the first Skyline GT-R, to my knowledge (lol), so it could be a cool collector's item, etc. considering how the GT-R is one of the fastest and coolest cars ever made and the halo car for Japan (I'm looking outside the box here...haha...GO JAPAN!) or just a cool car to have. Just remember, the R32 is the least favored Skyline GT-R.

Last edited by SClean4; 04-09-08 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 02:56 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe it's just me but I see Skylines of all sorts running around everyday. I like the R32, it's my pick out of all of them (R35 an exception) - it looks the toughest out of all of the GTR's. Maybe because I live in Oz

Saying that though it doesn't come anywhere close to the sexiness of the Soarer. And rear wheel drive is for real drivers
Old 04-09-08, 06:30 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yelloa3gti
No not really at all...

thats like saying an SC with 97 and up body mods IS 100 percent a 97 up...what you cant convert???

I know the wide fenders and bumpers are gtr, but I also know plenty of none gtr's that look just like GTRs
Yep there are 240's with this conversion...
Old 04-09-08, 06:34 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

I have to say I am suprised as I figured it would be a hands down hell no on our forum. I have a lot of love for the 2jz family as I have had three 5spd SC's and 4 Supra MKIV's. I would never view this as me leaving the Toyota/ Lexus family as I would buy another within months I'm sure . I just can't go very long with out one lol. I am only considering this as it again is a car I have yet to own (and I have had a few) and is almost as rare in the states as my 97 sc.

I have told the owner that I will trade him if the engine is fixed prior to trading, but not as a straight trade. I simply have to much time and money into this SC to trade it for a non running car
Old 04-09-08, 08:38 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Wow, I've never seen someone who resented an SC. Nevermind that the 1st gen SCs are absolutely beautiful cars, but you got a REALLY rare one. Only 3,883 SC300s came in manual, and only 120 came in manual in 1997. Plus you got a black interior which is even rarer. Why would you even consider trading it in for some old boxy skyline? I know there's a lot of hype around skylines, but they're pretty ugly cars in my opinion; too boxy looking. I'd take an SC300 manual anyday over those cars.

My vote: 100% HELL NO!

Last edited by Brendon; 04-09-08 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 09:44 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brendon
Wow, I've never seen someone who resented an SC. Nevermind that the 1st gen SCs are absolutely beautiful cars, but you got a REALLY rare one. Only 3,883 SC300s came in manual, and only 120 came in manual in 1997. Plus you got a black interior which is even rarer. Why would you even consider trading it in for some old boxy skyline? I know there's a lot of hype around skylines, but they're pretty ugly cars in my opinion; too boxy looking. I'd take an SC300 manual anyday over those cars.

My vote: 100% HELL NO!
I don't know where you would get that I "resented" the SC if it was me you were speaking of?
Old 04-09-08, 09:51 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The loyalty on this board is amazing. I love my SC too but to say the Skyline is overrated and lame is silly. It completely dominated racing in Japan. I agree that if they had sold it in the US the whole time it wouldn't be as idolized as it is because of the rarity, but the fact is that you don't see them very often.

There's an R32 GTS-T back in Topeka where I'm from. I ran into it one night in my SC on the highway before it was ready to go Skyline hunting, but we both just gave each other thumbs ups (the guy has had a lot of nice cars including Supras). It was just neat to see one on the road.

I'd do it, personally. It doesn't sound like you're too bad off financially, I'm sure you could find another nice SC if it struck your fancy down the road.
Old 04-09-08, 10:08 AM
CopperShot
Driver

What are you waiting on, exactly?

Go trade, have fun. The attention may not be all that pleasant, but you have the best of all worlds, (i.e. AWD, 280hp, I-6)

Parts may be scarce, but once it's up and running, you'd love it.

Get him to fix it, then trade up, you've said you had a few SC's and Supra's. It'll be a welcome change
Old 04-09-08, 11:43 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by seeya
I don't know where you would get that I "resented" the SC if it was me you were speaking of?
Sorry, resented probably wasn't the right word. I was trying to use a thesaurus. I guess unsatisfied was what I was trying to say. You got a beautiful, ultra rare car, don't listen to these people and give her away like some used furniture!
Old 04-09-08, 11:56 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being on this board ive seen people wanting to trade a Mk4 Supra, now a Skyline R32 for our cars hhmm pretty interesting, I wonder whats next?
I cant believe I thought about trading or selling in the last two weeks but during those days i really fell in love with the car.. now Iam keeping her.
Old 04-09-08, 12:20 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by breakb
if u have the money to fix it...i say do it, just to be different. but...thats just me. =P Peace out

I agree with him, you can always find another SC if you decide that you miss the car....
Old 04-09-08, 12:44 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
Sorry, resented probably wasn't the right word. I was trying to use a thesaurus. I guess unsatisfied was what I was trying to say. You got a beautiful, ultra rare car, don't listen to these people and give her away like some used furniture!
Let me get this straight. A SC300 is an "ultra rare" car, and trading it for a Skyline GTR is "giving it away like some used furniture"? Are you serious?
Old 04-09-08, 12:47 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

nah, skyline's are dope cars but that one needs work. Just keep the sc and buy a skyline when a great deal comes up.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?