SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: should I trade?
Hell No!
61.74%
Hell Yes!
38.26%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 12:50 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i say yes. sc's are a dime a dozen compared to r32's
Old 04-09-08, 12:58 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all comes down to how much money you have to spend. Getting a 40k RB26 from japan will run you about 4500 in decent condition. then what will happen is you will be able to have tons of spare parts cause the ones on the current motor is fine, so in the future if something goes wrong, you will have spares of almost everthing. That throws the whole "reliability factor" out of the window.

If its a straight up trade, putting 4500 dollars into a skyline and having it in decent runnable condition aint too shabby. a skyline is much more rare than a sc and imo a better platform.

on the other hand, as long as your not in CA like I am, getting a skyline in the states is easy. People in FL drive them around like civics, and ive seen clean R33's go for ~16k.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to save up some money till you could eventually afford both and make the skyline a track/weekend car and the sc the daily.

On a side note, the R33 is a much better looking car than a 32. Ive ridden in a 32 a couple of times and it just seems to small and too old looking unless you go all out on it. Save up for a R33 cause its the best bang for the buck skyline you can buy.

hope this helps..
Old 04-09-08, 01:05 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And an FYI for all of the R33 haters, the highest whp Skyline in the united states happens to be an R33, and happens to be local to me/Black_SC.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...r33/index.html
Old 04-09-08, 02:31 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if he fixes the car I will probably trade, but I have decided not to trade as is. Will keep you guys posted on the outcome, but I think it is not going to happen and he will probably try to sell it with a bad engine.
Old 04-09-08, 02:58 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

like i said before.. send him my way.. i have a 5 speed ( r154) black interior ( with recaros) and a 1J.

or get me his contact info.. how much does he want to sell it for outright?
Old 04-09-08, 03:16 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

I will if my deal falls through. Like I said I am still trying to work it out with him
Old 04-09-08, 03:45 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
no..not for the r32..but if that were the r33..maybe..for the r34..YES! and for the r35......yeah.....GET REAL! hahhaha..but yea..id say no to the r32
R32 is was the first and purest of all the skylines in terms of out-of-the-box performnace. the R33 is crap in my opinion. and it looks like chit too.

Originally Posted by SClean4
Both cars are cool. I dunno, if I saw an R32 for the same price as my SC, I might do it. But not sure if you'd want to daily drive a Skyline GT-R... for various reasons, don't think it's as solid and reliable as an SC.

I think if I were to really get a Skyline GT-R, it would be at least an R33. Looks-wise, the R32 is the ugliest and the R35 is the nicest-looking, IMO. The R32 is the first Skyline GT-R, to my knowledge (lol), so it could be a cool collector's item, etc. considering how the GT-R is one of the fastest and coolest cars ever made and the halo car for Japan (I'm looking outside the box here...haha...GO JAPAN!) or just a cool car to have. Just remember, the R32 is the least favored Skyline GT-R.
R35 looks like crap and very heavy. the R34 was the actual major revision of the skyline. the r33 was very minor...(body work doesnt count. i can make a fiero look like a ferrari)

Originally Posted by Brendon
Wow, I've never seen someone who resented an SC. Nevermind that the 1st gen SCs are absolutely beautiful cars, but you got a REALLY rare one. Only 3,883 SC300s came in manual, and only 120 came in manual in 1997. Plus you got a black interior which is even rarer. Why would you even consider trading it in for some old boxy skyline? I know there's a lot of hype around skylines, but they're pretty ugly cars in my opinion; too boxy looking. I'd take an SC300 manual anyday over those cars.

My vote: 100% HELL NO!
dude. sc is not as rare as a skyline. plus its a better performance platform. dont come telling me that a supra/sc can make more hp. thats all dyno queen numbers. on the track i would take an r32 over any supra or sc.

Originally Posted by Gunnar
And an FYI for all of the R33 haters, the highest whp Skyline in the united states happens to be an R33, and happens to be local to me/Black_SC.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...r33/index.html
just because it has the most hp doesnt make it the best around the track

either way...r32 is the lightest platform with AWD and a very good engine that is proven in racing. the supra didnt even use the 2jz in JGTC they used the 3sge beams motor out of the is200 that was turboed. obviously not that simple but the fact is that nissan has much more and better racing heritage then toyota...as sad as it is to say.

love my sc for a daily and some fun. for get-down-to-business track car i would do an r32 all day.
Old 04-09-08, 04:03 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONT do it, skylines R32 are ok but not great, also, japanese cars has a lot of problems, friends who had skylines both need turbo rebuilt and 1 need engine rebuild as well within a year of buyin
Old 04-09-08, 09:06 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

All the R32 has got going for its self is the fact that it's rare (and quick too yes). Not worth trading your beaut of an SC for. I would do it if it were an R33, not 32.
Old 04-09-08, 10:41 PM
stvn
Pole Position

i love the r32!!!
Old 04-10-08, 09:02 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I like the R32
Old 04-10-08, 10:14 AM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't read the issues with the skyline before I voted so i'm changing it to Hell No!! If it were running than Hell Yes.
Old 04-10-08, 11:20 AM
Sakura_Pro
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
R32 is was the first and purest of all the skylines in terms of out-of-the-box performnace. the R33 is crap in my opinion. and it looks like chit too.

R35 looks like crap and very heavy. the R34 was the actual major revision of the skyline. the r33 was very minor...(body work doesnt count. i can make a fiero look like a ferrari)

dude. sc is not as rare as a skyline. plus its a better performance platform. dont come telling me that a supra/sc can make more hp. thats all dyno queen numbers. on the track i would take an r32 over any supra or sc.

either way...r32 is the lightest platform with AWD and a very good engine that is proven in racing. the supra didnt even use the 2jz in JGTC they used the 3sge beams motor out of the is200 that was turboed. obviously not that simple but the fact is that nissan has much more and better racing heritage then toyota...as sad as it is to say.

love my sc for a daily and some fun. for get-down-to-business track car i would do an r32 all day.
+1 for sure, If anything its a good investment. You can sell a lightly modded skyline for way more than an sc will go for. Plus skylines are cool.

Last edited by Sakura_Pro; 04-10-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 12:09 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

You make a lot of valid points. On the track a Skyline is tough to beat. The video of the MINES R34 just gives me chills watching the tach jump like it's in neutral.

If we're talking about something other than the road course though I'd take the Supra. Having talked to Jake Diehl (the owner of the white R33 I posted), he also has a 1xxx whp Supra in his stable and he told me from personal experience and from talking to people over in Japan that he feels the Supra is an overall better car.

But, regardless, I would trade my SC for an R32 in a heartbeat.
Old 04-10-08, 12:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you can handle the downgrade in the interior, then go for it.
Reason I sold my 240sx and bought a Lexus was cause I got tired of nissans lack of interiorness all the way through the mid 90's.

It outperforms the SC, it is AWD, it is simply more fun, and the expensive part is just silly because you can get parts for an rb, you just have to wait a week or two for them to get to you.

I would not trade straight up unless he takes some off the price for you to get a new shortblock. plain and simple. good luck!

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?