SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: should I trade?
Hell No!
61.74%
Hell Yes!
38.26%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 11:43 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the R32 is way easier to work on compaired to the later years. I would do it in a heart beat. just make sure you source the parts ahead of time and deduct that to the final price.

do it!
Old 04-17-08, 12:12 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You basterd!!!!

You stole my ******ing car lol

haha I thought it was mine at first

I just got a 97-2000 conversion too and coilovers
Old 04-17-08, 12:31 PM
spooledx2
Driver

Wow, not alot of love for skylines.......

First off if he wants to trade you straight across, that car is not legal. Not a chance in hell. Any Motorex legal R32 is priced from about 35k on up. If it is not a Motorex car I would steer clear of that thing like the plauge.

As far as parts yes they are hard to get and expensive. They are however availible in Canadia without to much hassle.

As a daily driver I would say no. Mine is awesome, but sometimes driving it is alot of work. I.E. people hasseling you alot, ricers wanting to race, can't just park it anywhere, expensive insurance, and the list goes on and on.

One drive in it will make you want one. Yes they look a little dated, but so do the SC's by todays standards.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Late
Old 04-17-08, 01:32 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luke_in_SD
You basterd!!!!

You stole my ******ing car lol

haha I thought it was mine at first

I just got a 97-2000 conversion too and coilovers
For a side by side comparison...

haha....looking good.

Last edited by seeya; 04-17-08 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 10:30 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Having owned an R32, I would say dont do it.

The Skyline is a great car, dont get me wrong. But its nothing but a tin can compared to the SC.
Old 04-17-08, 11:25 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

I'm not sure what the importation rules are down in Florida, but in Canada (yes i know other people have mentioned cars in Canada), specifically in Vancouver, where all the cars arrive from Japan, a GTR can be had for under 10k if you look enough, well under 10k for a broken one.

No way in hell your SC is worth that little.

Here's an example:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/642286216.html

This was was posted on a forum 3 days ago, asking $8000, not the $9500 on craigslist. All it needs is brakes, tires, and maybe a battery. The ugly headlights are to get it through the federal safety inspection.

Mods please remove the link if links to cragslist aren't allowed.

Obviously Skylines are more rare down there, but up here, I think they're totally played. I see more Skylines than Soarers and more Soarers than actual SCs. RHD for daily would be a pain too I think. It's hard to see for left turns, and if you blow it, you're on the side of the car that gets hit by the on coming car.

Last edited by LEXpert; 04-17-08 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 06:08 AM
spooledx2
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXpert
I'm not sure what the importation rules are down in Florida, but in Canada (yes i know other people have mentioned cars in Canada), specifically in Vancouver, where all the cars arrive from Japan, a GTR can be had for under 10k if you look enough, well under 10k for a broken one.

Here's an example:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/642286216.html

This was was posted on a forum 3 days ago, asking $8000, not the $9500 on craigslist. All it needs is brakes, tires, and maybe a battery. The ugly headlights are to get it through the federal safety inspection.

Mods please remove the link if links to cragslist aren't allowed.

Obviously Skylines are more rare down there, but up here, I think they're totally played. I see more Skylines than Soarers and more Soarers than actual SCs. RHD for daily would be a pain too I think. It's hard to see for left turns, and if you blow it, you're on the side of the car that gets hit by the on coming car.

Wow. For that price I would have 4 or 5 of them....... I wish they were that cheap here in the States(for a 50 state legal one).

They are hard t live with everyday. Biggest problem I have is drive thru's and turning left at a light. The whole gaging how far you are from the other car can be a bit intense sometimes. LOL

Late
Old 04-18-08, 06:33 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, under $10000 is damn cheap for a 32 GTR, even for an 89 model. They still fetch at least $18000 over here in Oz. I'd buy one for $10000
Old 04-18-08, 07:02 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXpert

A good GTR should be running someone close to twenty. If you find one for around ten, it has problems. A rolling shell will still cost about 5 grand.

There are a lot of Skylines in Canada. But there are sure a lot of Honda Civics too. So I cant really say anything about numbers. An import is an import, if its nice its nice, if it isnt it isnt. The fact of the matter is, there arent many nice imported cars.

Right hand drive is nothing overly difficult to get used to. As long as you have your head wrapped around it'd be fine. Passing big rigs on a two lane hi-way is a little tricky but thats it. Thats my opinion anyways.
Old 04-18-08, 07:13 AM
spooledx2
Driver

Ok. So back to the question at hand. If it is a Motorex GTR..... Trade him before he changes his mind. Even if you just turn around and sell it right away, you will still come out way ahead. Then you can always build another SC, the way you want and have money left over in the bank. If not DON'T DO IT.

As far as overrated, you obviously have never had the chance to drive one, or anybody else that says that for that matter. IMHO

When we got ours it also needed a crank and bearings(common problem with R32-GTR motors). We replaced ours with a unit from a V-spec R33(they fixed the oiling problem in late 1994) with low miles and built it from there. You can pick these up a lot cheaper than we did 6 or so years ago, I have seen them for as low as 3g's.

Anyway again good luck with whatever way you go. BTW that is a georgeous SC you have, if mine turns out half that nice I will be a happy man.

Late

Last edited by spooledx2; 04-18-08 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-18-08, 09:12 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

Thanks again guys. Lot's of good feedback and some interesting opinions. I have decided not to trade and will be keeping my SC for the time being and probably sinking more $$ into it with mods.

Also thanks for all the compliments!
Old 04-18-08, 10:05 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by seeya
Thanks again guys. Lot's of good feedback and some interesting opinions. I have decided not to trade and will be keeping my SC for the time being and probably sinking more $$ into it with mods.

Also thanks for all the compliments!
good
Old 04-20-08, 11:27 AM
Inspectah
Rookie

good..good.. you made a good decision
Old 04-23-08, 04:47 PM
blackops
Rookie

We have a 1994 R32 GTR in our company here in FL. 23k fully legal with 40k original miles, including a full veilside exhaust, 18 inch rims, apexi electronics, nismo ecu, carbon hood, intakes, etc...

I will honestly tell you, do not do it and from driving 400+hp SC's and Skylines I'll tell you why.

First off, the GTR will outhandle the SC any day of the week, in any weather, on any road, with any mods. They are amazing cars to drive, but....

1991 is a horrible year for the RB26. Im sure he blew his motor due to oil pump issues. You're probably looking at 5-8k to repair that car correctly to handle that HP level. Who ever told you RB's are godzilla read too many forums, I think nissan made the engine and drivetrain out of glass.

Maintance wise, they are impossible to work on. Changing the oil requires you to remove the intake manifold. Coolent leaks are common. Hicas problems are part of owning a skyline, the dreaded light will flash at you if the car sits for a week and the cars steering will act up. Power window motors break due to the rubber window seals, but they are compatable with S14. That's just the start of it.

It's a very overrated car that has nothing but hype over it. We only own it for shows and to be cool, but guess what the owner's daily driver is? A black 5spd SC300.
Old 04-24-08, 09:09 PM
spooledx2
Driver

"Changing the oil requires you to remove the intake manifold." Dude no offense but, you are doing it wrong!!! I have huge hands and I can even get to the oil filter to change it out...... Since I have made it easier on myself by adding a oil filter re-locater, problem solved. Hicas, yes it is ghey......, but most guys I know that have one have removed it. It is just like the Hicas off of the Z32, oh yea it sucked too, thats why Stillen years ago came out with the eliminator.

Drivetrain made of glass...... Really????? Yea the R32 had bad oiling issues but that was corrected in the R33..

Overrated car????!!!! Wow, that is the most ridiculous thing I have everheard. As for the name Godzilla..... That wasn't made up by some Civic driving chat room geek, that was what the Aussies called them because they would destroy everything they threw at it(then they banned the car completely), and thats not to mention the whole Class A/JGTC era where it cleaned house like a maid on steroids....

Not taking anything away from the SC at all georgeous car awesome potention and comfy like like a shrinks couch, but like one man once said that is comparing apples to donuts.........

I have done extensive research and spent alot of time and money playing with it, for the last 7 years. Expert......no, just a well informed enthusiast.

Sorry not coming on here to FLAME you or anything, but next time do some research, or dare I say own one....... nah. Just because someone has formed an opinion in their garage, doesn't mean that it bear any weight as to what the car really is.....GOD(*********in)ZILLA. Always has been, always will be.

And sorry for jacking this thread I now step down off my pulpit....

Late

Last edited by spooledx2; 04-25-08 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 97 5spd for this skyline?