How much is maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 10:33 PM
5sp4banger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is maintenance

Hello All,

I am interested in getting a used 98 up sc300. I was wondering how much maintenance was, oil chnages 30/60k mile service. I heard it was really expensive. I am also wondering about any engine or maintenance troubles anyone has had. I am deciding on getting a lexus or a used 2000 bmw 323 coupe 5sp. Any comments would much appreciated.
Old 02-05-02, 04:28 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The maint. is about the same for alll other cars. I haven't noticed a difference. No one says you have to bring it to the Dealer for service, but they do keep great records for you.
Old 02-05-02, 05:16 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I have a 1993 SC400 which I purchased used. The previous owner kept impeccable detailed maintenance history for the car. I have kept up on this as well. The total cost of all maintenance and enhancements to the car, after 74K miles is 10.7 cents per mile.

The car has had an oil and filter change every 3K miles or 3 months. Tire rotation every 6 months. Trannie fluid flush every 15K miles. All work done at Lexus dealer.

BTW, the figure above includes the Lexus gold package, rear spoiler added, cold air box upgrade, $3400 in SSR 18" wheels and tires, minor body work (dent wizard), new slotted rotors and pads, new windshield, removal of analog phone, numerous windshield wipers, gas additives, performance exhaust system, and the 60K mile tuneup and inspection, and the cost of expensive Zaino waxes and detailing.

So as you can see the 10.7 cents is just not maintenance but also some cosmetic and performance augmentation. That IMHO is a real good number. The SC400 gets me 24 MPG so at fuel costs of 6 cents per mile (1.44 / gallon premium) you are looking at 17 cents per mile to run the car and maintain it in near mint condition.

The SC300 would be perhaps less costly to run and maintain. You can take these numbers to the bank. They are solid.
Old 02-05-02, 05:38 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, the Lexus is a solid car and the maintenance is not bad at all. I actually have the same year (98) that you are considering. As long as you make sure to change the oil, get the timing belt replaced if you have over 70k, then you really should be in good shape.
Old 02-05-02, 10:42 AM
5sp4banger
Rookie

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. Also if anyone has had problems with or quirks with the newer lexus' 1998 and up, your input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-05-02, 10:45 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

The only problem I have had with mine is the traction light kept coming on so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the sensor. It is the best car I have ever owned and the 98 and up SC's tend to be pretty rare. Just of out curiousity, how much they asking for the 98 you are looking at purchasing??
Old 02-05-02, 10:54 AM
5sp4banger
Rookie

Originally posted by JohnnySC
The only problem I have had with mine is the traction light kept coming on so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the sensor. It is the best car I have ever owned and the 98 and up SC's tend to be pretty rare. Just of out curiousity, how much they asking for the 98 you are looking at purchasing??
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the replies. For the most part 98 SC300's go for between 25k and 31k depending on mileage and who you get them from. I've seen as low as 23k for a 98, but it had like 80k miles on it, way too much. I'm looking for a 98 with around 40k miles on it, and not looking to spend anymore than about 26k or so. I test drove a 2001 new sc300 and really loved it, but couldnt afford it, I did this when i was looking at the new IS300.
Old 02-05-02, 10:59 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I know of a 98 SC400 with 46k for 25k
and a 98 SC300 with 67k for 21k. Both of them are black. It is at the dealer I bought mine from in Kentucky. Let me know if you have any interest and I will put you in touch with my salesperson.
Old 02-05-02, 11:07 AM
5sp4banger
Rookie

I know of a 98 SC400 with 46k for 25k
and a 98 SC300 with 67k for 21k. Both of them are black. It is at the dealer I bought mine from in Kentucky. Let me know if you have any interest and I will put you in touch with my salesperson.
Wow, those are pretty good deals. All the dealers around here think the SC is worth more than gold. ahhaah. Wanting like over $30k. I would be interested in the lower mileage one, but I most likely would rather buy it in CA, within 100 miles of where i lived preferably. Thanx again for the input.
Old 02-05-02, 12:01 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why 98+ and not 97+ plus? They're both pretty much the same. I am kind of puzzled here. You're asking about reliability of Lexus and if it's not reliabile then you will go with BMW that's not too reliabile? Anyways... Lexus re-uses the same engines in their cars so most parts aren't as expencive or rare. Don't forget Lexus is still a Toyota. 2JZ-GE motor is a very good and reliabile motor. Way more reliabile then BMW. Look at respectible magazines such as Customer Reports to see the difference. Their opinions and ratings are mostly based on reports of customers.
Old 02-05-02, 12:06 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Why 98+ and not 97+ plus? They're both pretty much the same. I am kind of puzzled here. You're asking about reliability of Lexus and if it's not reliabile then you will go with BMW that's not too reliabile? Anyways... Lexus re-uses the same engines in their cars so most parts aren't as expencive or rare. Don't forget Lexus is still a Toyota. 2JZ-GE motor is a very good and reliabile motor. Way more reliabile then BMW. Look at respectible magazines such as Customer Reports to see the difference. Their opinions and ratings are mostly based on reports of customers.
Forgot to mention, SCs don't look too good in stock form and BMWs do. If you put better rims, lower it a little and so on you will have a great looking car just in the same way as stock BMW is. Unfortunetly Lexus didn't bless the SC with such eye candy as nice rims. That's IMO that is.
Old 02-05-02, 12:06 PM
5sp4banger
Rookie

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I want a 98 plus because I'd rather have the gated shifter. Reliablitywise i know lexus is good but I was questioning the cost of upkeep. Just to see if I could afford all of the upkeep on the car. I know BMW's are not as realiable but the styling of the coupes are great and If you wihs to get a Bimmer, then you pretty much know of the costs it takes to repair. I have firends that have owned bimmers, but only one that has a 95 GS300, so thats why I have these questions.
Old 02-05-02, 12:08 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota/Lexus has never really made any rims that were attractive. The GS 17's look good, but that is about it.
Old 02-05-02, 12:22 PM
DIrEctQL

Toyota/Lexus has never really made any rims that were attractive. The GS 17's look good, but that is about it.
True that. LOL.
Old 02-05-02, 12:24 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by 5sp4banger

I want a 98 plus because I'd rather have the gated shifter. Reliablitywise i know lexus is good but I was questioning the cost of upkeep. Just to see if I could afford all of the upkeep on the car. I know BMW's are not as realiable but the styling of the coupes are great and If you wihs to get a Bimmer, then you pretty much know of the costs it takes to repair. I have firends that have owned bimmers, but only one that has a 95 GS300, so thats why I have these questions.
Gated shifter? I wasn't aware of that. I think you're talking about the 5 speed automatic. I don't know much about it.

Quick Reply: How much is maintenance