SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sad Sad Day: Jiffy Lube Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 09:34 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Sad Day: Jiffy Lube Fiasco

So I went to Jiffy Lube to get my inspection. I've been there two other times for inspections, and both times they never drove it onto a lift. There was a loud bang in the waiting room and my stomach sunk because I just had a feeling it was my car. The guy drove it straight into the lift and cracked my freshly painted bumper. The employee and the manager were extremely apologetic. At this point, I had a feeling I would have to chase down my settlement due to all the Jiffy Lube horror stories I've heard. The other employees said they usually take lowered cars (usually Corvettes) over the oil bays because they know it won't fit on the ramps. Anyways, the district manager wanted me to do all this stuff and it felt like a total waste of time. He insisted I go to some guy I never heard of because he "specifically does work on Mercedes and Corvettes." He quoted me $650 to fix it but couldn't guarantee the original shape. RED FLAG! I went to two painters I trusted, and they quoted me amounts that were required for the work that needed to be done. Both quotes basically doubled their quote. In the end, after numerous phone calls and demands, I got what my painter quoted and back into the shop she goes.

SYNOPSIS: Jiffy Lube damaged front bumper on lift. After lots of phone calls and paint quotes, I got what I wanted. District Manager never even apologized. Live and learn.

Enough talking, here are pictures of the damage:

Bumper cracked all the way through at both places. He must have been going pretty fast because I scratch on a few speed bumps and dips here and there. But, in the end, I got my money and she will be going back into the shop pretty soon here.

Last edited by kevincao01; 04-21-08 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 09:43 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I always tell people to avoid Jiffy Lube even for state inspections. You'd think they'd be able to handle it but I guess you can't count on minimum wage labor for quality results. The price of a state inspection is regulated by the state so you might as well go someplace nice like the dealership for it. It's good to see that it all worked out for you in the end.
Old 04-20-08, 09:46 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sonyman
This is why I always tell people to avoid Jiffy Lube even for state inspections. You'd think they'd be able to handle it but I guess you can't count on minimum wage labor for quality results. The price of a state inspection is regulated by the state so you might as well go someplace nice like the dealership for it. It's good to see that it all worked out for you in the end.
^^ I didn't know that. Thanks for the info though. I guess there was a bit of a trade off. My tint is a little darker than legal and I knew they really didn't check tint very strictly at this Jiffy Lube.
Old 04-20-08, 09:49 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincao01
^^ I didn't know that. Thanks for the info though. I guess there was a bit of a trade off. My tint is a little darker than legal and I knew they really didn't check tint very strictly at this Jiffy Lube.
That is one advantage I didn't think of since it's not applicable to me. At the local dealership, they will fail you if your vehicle is even slightly out of conformity to the state regulations.
Old 04-20-08, 10:33 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read too many negative things about Jiffy Lube experiences to ever go there any time soon. But this seems like a pretty simple accident that could happen anywhere, I guess. So glad to hear that they took care of it.

Last edited by SClean4; 04-20-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 10:45 PM
nolexhere
Driver

I read about things like this far to often it's starting to get me worried lol. But anyways $1300 for that, damn! I need to get back in bodywork lol. Where in texas are you?
Old 04-20-08, 11:02 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

Never go to any Jiffy Lube shop!!!!!!!!!! They are the worst shop in the world, i youtubed it and there is hella bad things about them. Here is one clip i would like to share with you guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Old 04-20-08, 11:57 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SClean4
I've read too many negative things about Jiffy Lube experiences to ever go there any time soon. But this seems like a pretty simple accident that could happen anywhere, I guess. So glad to hear that they took care of it.
I agree. I went there over 2 years now and they have been perfect so far. The team there is really good and they are really fast. This guy was new, I never saw him before. Just wished he paid a little bit more attention. Guess my luck just went out.

Originally Posted by nolexhere
I read about things like this far to often it's starting to get me worried lol. But anyways $1300 for that, damn! I need to get back in bodywork lol. Where in texas are you?
Yeah, $1300 was just the ballpark it was in. I mean with fiberglass, you have to tear it down, then re-glass. It's more labor hours than anything else. I went to another place that quoted me just about the same and told me the same thing: "It's going to be hell reglassing it, but we can do it."

I'm in Austin.

Originally Posted by Ac93sc
Never go to any Jiffy Lube shop!!!!!!!!!! They are the worst shop in the world, i youtubed it and there is hella bad things about them. Here is one clip i would like to share with you guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Yeah, I learned my lesson. I've just been lucky for the past 2 years I guess. I've heard a lot of horror stories and seen lots of videos. But I plan on getting serviced at professionals that deal with lowered cars from now on.
Old 04-21-08, 12:06 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

S happens bro... Be happy you only have a crack. Mine has a crunch haha.

You should get a new bumper and charge them.
Old 04-21-08, 12:18 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..that sucks..thats one reason i dont like shops
Old 04-21-08, 12:18 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have Precision Tune out there? I say either take it to a Toyota/Lexus dealer/shop or take it to a good, reputable import shop. Basically, I've realized if you want your car done right and treated professionally, either do it yourself or take it to old people! Older the better...LOL...well, you know what I mean...People who are very experienced and really know what they're doing and treat your car like one of their own and not like your car is their toy for the day.

Last edited by SClean4; 04-21-08 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 05:18 AM
RexNICO
Pole Position

Glad to hear it's all going to get worked out.

Obviously they weren't paying attention to what they're doing, but I'm a little reluctant to say ALL of any nationwide chain is as bad as 1 experience. I guess, I've just seen too much inconsistency, to ever say they're all as good or bad as any one location.
Old 04-21-08, 06:58 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Damn that sucks dude .I been down the same road wit tire kingdom recently .Took my car to get my tires rotated and they almost ripped off my bumper , luckily i was outside and saw the idiot trying to put it car car on the lift .I told him it wasent gonna fit and if he damage my bumper that thats his paycheck for about 2 weeks .so he moved it and tried parking it because the lift for lower cars were in use .The idiot then almost smashed my front while trying to park in the parling lot .I had then stop him ,tell him the get the F#&* out and take my car and leave .PLEASE DONT TAKE YOUR LOWERED OR KITTED SC TO MIDAS, JIFFYLUBE, TIRE KINGDOM or any other places where they hire any idiot from off the streets .I would of slap this fool for giving me an attitude if i did not know better.

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-21-08 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 07:16 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

That blows!! So do you have the check in your hand or are they jerking you around?
Old 04-21-08, 07:34 AM
kevincao01
Pole Position

Check in hand. So all is well. I guess I was a little luckier than some though. No need for small claims court. Just about 2 weeks of calling the DM, the team that wrecked it, and then corporate office that contacted the franchise owner. After I called corporate, I got a call from the DM and he was pretty upset. Acting like a spoiled 15 year old girl not getting things to go her way (I assume the franchise owner ripped him a new one after he got the call from corporate). Anyways, I'm glad it didn't have to go to small claims. Just some down time for now. Hopefully, I can be up and ready for the Dallas meet.

Quick Reply: Sad Sad Day: Jiffy Lube Fiasco