The Death of Jeff's SC (400)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 03:39 PM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The Death of Jeff's SC (400)

My 1993 SC400 is totalled.

It happened last Thursday night (VERY bad ice storm) and I have been too depressed to write until now.

I am physically fine and am very happy about that. The SC, though...uugh. I'll post pictures of the carcass as soon as I am mentally able to handle it.

So if there is anyone in New England who wants nice new leather seats (oh, remember the pride in my postings about my new leather seats???) please let me know. Email me at Whitmanpc1@mediaone.net.

I am looking at another 1993 SC400 with 60,000 miles. The dealer wants $14,000 and I don't think that is too bad. It is in great condition, and the only reservation is a "clicking" noise I hear. It's tempo correlates with the RPMs and not with the transmission. Any ideas?

I had an expert listen and he said it is nothing. So I'm not too worried. It just sounds different than what I am used to.

I'll know in 1-2 days if I'm purchasing this car. They have to fix a couple of things (major thing is the Nak radio isn't working properly). If they fix what I want them to it'll be mine.

lol...and I shall be happy again.
Old 02-05-02, 04:25 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Hi Jeff:
Sorry to hear about your car. Glad you are ok. I will keep my eyes open for a nice SC here in Connecticut. See if you can't get your hands on those seats. The new SC you get will probably be able to use them.

Glad you are OK. I hope your insurance leaves you whole.
Art
Old 02-05-02, 04:39 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt,that sounds like a decent car,the noise could be a valve ticking,they should be adjusted at 60K,so maybe the adjustment has caused the ticking temporarily.
My car did that for a while,but it went away gradually.
Old 02-05-02, 04:48 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude jeff!

Sorry to hear about your car man. That's tough I know. But on a lighter note, why not by a 300 and turbo the baby? Keep the boost conservative and with MSD you can run on 87 octane like SC300T (I think it's him)

But anyhow, jeff I'm sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you're ok. Have you considered buying it back & selling it for parts?

Take it easy...
Old 02-06-02, 03:49 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

forgot to tell in email but I did total my civic last year
18-wheel truck crushed into my car(cop claimed on police report that it was my fault!!!BS) anyways, after I got SC, when I drive next to trucks, I tried to pass him in 1 sec. There's still fear of accident in my mind.

Good thing you are fine

take care
Old 02-06-02, 06:29 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff,

Glad to hear you are alright. Sorry about the car. Try to pull the seats and use them in your new(er) car. If not, yank the skins and sell them to me.

Good luck with your new car.

Keith
Old 02-06-02, 07:04 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Glad you made it out okay, my friend!

Jeff,

As Art said, I hope the insurance company does you right! You do not have to take the offer from them is you feel it is to low. If you have pics of your car showing it was in great condition it will help a lot... They only give values for fair-average conditioned cars... You have to fight for good - mint.

I found this out when I totalled my 300ZX @ 120mph.. PROGRESSIVE tried to offer me 60% of what it was worth!!! Their job is to SAVE the company as MUCH $$$ as possible!!!

I printed about 20 quotes for car like mine selling in my region to show the going rate of the cars. Also get at least 3 banks values of what they will loan for a car like yours. Also, I produced service papers, pictures of the car before the accident, letter from my dealer(stating the conditioning), detail shop and receipts from my upholsterer(to prove interior was mint)... Then I got a fair value... Just food for thought......

Have that other SC inspected from head to toe and purchase an extended warranty from Platinum warranty corp.

Good Luck,

Thomas
Old 02-06-02, 09:13 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jeff, the ticking can be valvetrain related, or a noisy injector (they have been known to tick, especially if there is interference in the pintle or seat), or possibly a vacuum leak. Then again, it can be something stupid, i.e. if the plastic channel that holds the plug wires in the front (by the water neck) has become loose, it will move forward a bit and make slight contact with the timing belt pulleys (they have little metal tabs that stick up a bit) and make a clicking noise. I would definitely check it out further before making a commitment, it could just be too many things.
Old 02-06-02, 09:32 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Thanks for your input Lex!!!

A well respected auto repair place (yes there are some!) here listened to it and said "it's nothing...maybe dirty injectors...but nothing to worry about."

It was Jim Boudreau, the owner of the place. He knows my family and would not lead me astray.

Nevertheless, what do you think the worst case scenerio would be, and how much it might cost to repair?

That is, of the things you listed, which one is the worst and what would be the most that "worst" thing might cost to fix?

Thanks Lex and all!!!!
Old 02-06-02, 11:22 AM
SL730
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jeff, sorry for your accident, must be awfull, aldo, I might be able to help you out for your next car. I might sell my sc400 (1993) so I could get a 1995. It's metalic green with grey interior,leather in good condition, car is in great shape, fully loaded premium sound, sport suspension (told me it was dropped a little) special gold edition and after market special edition made buy the dealer. Gold wheel arche and gold 17" five double spoke wheels with 235-45-17 brand new winter tires on (2000 KM on it, costed 1300$ can) the car is in quebec near montreal, 30min from the frontier, maybe your insurance money will give you great buy power with the money exange (40 something %).. I'll send you a pic by email if you want.